Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Were only comparing the comfort carrying these two. Anyone have both? I have a G27 and thought I would look into thinner 9mms. I carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying

Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying

Were only comparing the comfort carrying these two. Anyone have both? I have a G27 and thought I would look into thinner 9mms. I carry my my G27 in a Remora and it carrys very well. Is there a noticeable difference carrying the thinner LC9?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Yes, absolutely. It doesn't seem like much of a difference going from 1.18 inches to .9 but it feels like the gun is MUCH thinner. Also, the reduced weight helps. My Kahr CM9 (similar to the LC9) is worlds easier to carry than my G27

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Were only comparing the comfort carrying these two. Anyone have both? I have a G27 and thought I would look into thinner 9mms. I carry my my G27 in a Remora and it carrys very well. Is there a noticeable difference carrying the thinner LC9?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have an LC9 and a g26. Yes there is a difference and I would guess that the perceived difference would vary with the individual. One thing for certain: I can pocket carry the LC9 comfortably, but, i can't do that with the G26.

For me, the LC9 is a joy to shoot. I've been hearing many positive comments on the Keltec PF9. It's actually lighter than the LC9 and doesn't have all the extra controls, and is less expensive. I probably would have bought the PF9 if I'd have looked at it first.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I also bought an LC9 for off duty carry. The G26 was just too bulky if I was not wearing a sweatshirt or jacket. Hated the LC9 for a number of reasons, mostly the stupid loaded chamber indicator on top and the manual safety. Got rid of it and got a Kahr CM9, which i LOVE. It is my "go to" gun when I cannot manage to hide my G26. I highly recommend the Kahr. Eventually Ill add a G36 to the mix!

I'm in the same dilemma going back and forth. Slim 9mm vs my G27. But 1/4-5/16 in thickness and 1/2-3/4 in length of the Rugar, Kahr Cm9. I would rather have 12 rds in my G27 vs 7-8 . I use an extended mag which adds nothing to hardly anything on the ht. But one day I'm good but next day I want one again :). In the summer it may be nice. My G27 fits me nice with just a t shirt. Small holster Iwb

Quote Originally Posted by sd976 View Post
    I also bought an LC9 for off duty carry. The G26 was just too bulky if I was not wearing a sweatshirt or jacket. Hated the LC9 for a number of reasons, mostly the stupid loaded chamber indicator on top and the manual safety. Got rid of it and got a Kahr CM9, which i LOVE. It is my "go to" gun when I cannot manage to hide my G26. I highly recommend the Kahr. Eventually Ill add a G36 to the mix!
    Yeah that Cm9 is sweet whenever I look at one. $400 in my area. Summer time maybe I will get one. I'm a firm belive guns are like Lays potato chips. Can't just have one :)

I was in the same boat and went with the Glock 36
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Looked at both and ,since I already had the M&PC 9mm, I went with the LC9. I seldom will use it as a pocket gun, but I could if I wanted to carry that way. Have used my IWB/OWB from Haysholsters and it is up to Jeff's usual quality--- terrific! If I hadn't already had the S&W, I probably would have gone with the G26, but I am very happy with the Smith.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Yeah that Cm9 is sweet whenever I look at one. $400 in my area. Summer time maybe I will get one. I'm a firm belive guns are like Lays potato chips. Can't just have one :)
    Got that right! Can't have just one, and can never have enough!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Had the Glock 27 1st and carried it in a Don Hume pancake belt holster. I bought a LC9 earlier this year and carried it all summer long in a pocket holster. So comfortable, I hardly carried the 27 at all.
    Proud NRA member

I've got both the G26 and the LC9. The LC9 is lighter and slimmer and therefore easier to carry IWB...at least for me. But the G26 is by no means hard to carry. It just depends on what you're wearing, how you are feeling, etc... I have Remoras, leather, kydex, etc for both guns. 99% of the time I carry the LC9 in the Remora.

You asked to compare the LC9 to the G26 for carrying.

I am one of the fortunate few that can pocket a G26 70% of the time. With all the stuff we stuff into our pockets these days keys, phones, personal electronic devises, wallets, you name its. People don't think twice about your poo-fie looking pockets.

So when I put it, the G26, in my pocket and as long as it don't scream gun!!! I have no problem carting it around in my pocket, and it doesn't bother me to carry it that way.

I have looked at the LC9, and put it side by side with a G26 and it is slightly smaller and a little lighter but not by much, YMWV, but then if it was made as introduced as an LCP on steroids, and the next gun you will have to buy, which the LCP doesn't have the loaded flip up thing on the slide, the safety lever switch, and no-mag safety. I would buy one to have to carry for the 30% of the time or so that I can't carry the G26 because of what I have to wear, so it could fill that void. But as fore mentioned it does not appeal to me.

But there are other firearms that can do that too, that are more appealing to me.

So on those days I carry something else but that wasn't what you were asking in your OP.

I cannot speak for the Glock but I just got the LC9 and carried all weekend concealed but OWB. What a great size gun for EDC. I was just tired of the size and weight of my XD. However short barrel guns require practice regarding accuracy. LC9 is a gun I would recommend!!!
    Philly Boy likes this.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

I was going to buy the lc9, but bought the Glock 26 instead. I read of to many problems with the lc9. It seemed like a 50/50 chance of getting a problem free gun. The Glock hides very easy IWB and some pants for pocket carry. It's all tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by sd976 View Post
    I don't mind the loaded chamber indicator...does'nt interfere with anything. The safety, I don't use it...don't need to with that trigger pull. The magazine cutout safety? Definately useless and a lawyer add on. It was gone the day I got the gun and very easy to do.
    The LC9 fits the bill for discreet carry and still have a respectable cartridge. I prefer a .45 ( Glock 36 ), but sometimes in the summer, it's impractical.
    I'm sure the Kahr and Keltec are very similar, just depends on preference.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links