Taurus PT100AF for target practice, camping/hiking, and home protection.

This is a discussion on Taurus PT100AF for target practice, camping/hiking, and home protection. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Right now I am in the process of rearranging my gun collection. My first gun was an XD40 subcompact, which I received as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys,

Right now I am in the process of rearranging my gun collection. My first gun was an XD40 subcompact, which I received as a gift from my mother in law. It was her husband's until he passed away from lymphoma. My second gun was an M&P9 full-size, and my third gun was a ruger LC9.

Well, I have been unsatisfied with the LC9, the trigger pull is just too long for my liking. I'm in the process of selling it. That leaves me with one target practice/home defense gun, the M&P9, and one CCW gun, the XD40sc. I love the M&P9, but I think I want to switch over all my guns to a common platform, .40 S&W. So I'm looking for a full-size .40 pistol, that is accurate and dependable, along with 100% metal so as to be relatively light on the recoil (I have a thumb injury and heavy recoil weapons aggravate it).

I have it narrowed down the Taurus PT100, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either the PT92 or PT100? How do they shoot? How is their quality and reliability? Is their customer service decent? I would greatly appreciate any info on this!

Thanks,
    MP9 NM

Why not get a XD40 full size and then you could use the larger capacity magazines in your subcompact if you needed to. Then, you could carry the large one as primary and sc as secondary and two extra of the larger mags that would fit both weapons.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Personally, I don't trust Taurus semi-autos. Too many quality control issues. Customer service is not known to be very good.

Take a look at the Stoeger Cougar: Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol

It's better built than most Taurus pistols, and fits within your criteria, and is likely also less expensive that the PT100.

Or a gunstore in Ohio currently has police trade in .40 Sig 229's for $399. With shipping and transfer, it would still be under 5 bills. I'd much rather have either of those than a Taurus.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Why not get a XD40 full size and then you could use the larger capacity magazines in your subcompact if you needed to. Then, you could carry the large one as primary and sc as secondary and two extra of the larger mags that would fit both weapons.
    This is an excellent idea!

Taurus quality and customer service leave much to be desired. I'd avoid their products.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have a sig 229 40,it shoots great,but the 40 IMHO has a sharper recoil than a 9mm or 45acp.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Having owned several Taurus', I'll say their quality is hit or miss. Their Customer service is another story. A clear miss. You might take a look at the CZ75 chambered in .40. While it isn't the perfect carry gun due to size and weight, it's definitely a great range gun. With the right rig to support it, it can be used for carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Other options available to me locally include the MRI Baby Eagle II (steel frame, .40 cal) and Beretta 96FS Inox finish.
    I have shot Sig, and don't like the feel or (girly, I know) styling of the weapon.

As far not getting the 4" XD40, I have shot it, and its recoil is nearly identical to the 3", at least in my hands

Choose what is comfortable to you and that you shoot well. God Bless
    Last edited by VBVAGUY; October 29th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.

VIP Member
    Popcorn anyone?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Personally, I don't trust Taurus semi-autos. Too many quality control issues. Customer service is not known to be very good.
    My feeling exactly, spend your money elsewhere on a better made pistol.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

i have a pt101 and i like it. i dont know what these guys are saying but i have no problems with it and even carry it from time to time. A lot like the berretta but a like the safety better. You sweep it down . peace.

I have the pt145. I like it, never had a single problem with it. From what I have read don't get a first gen.

Taurus PT92 9mm and PT100 are built on the old Beretta machinery....they are the only Taurus Semiautos that I would trust. Taurus should have stayed out of the polymer pistol market....they suck at it.
    I have a few variations of the PT92 in 9mm only and they have never failed and are very good guns. The PT100 is an 11+1 .40, and is a bit large for such a low capacity. I think you can get MecGar aftermarket mags with 13 round capacity. Personally, if I were going to buy a .40, I would go with an M&P, Springfield Armory XD, or a Glock 23. JMO. They are more size and capacity efficient than the PT100.
    If you have your heart set on the Beretta clone....get it in stainless steel. The blued version have a really light finish that disappears very quickly.

Must admit, the PT92 and PT100 in stainless are great looking pistols, and worthy of your consideration for a home defense pistol. A tad on the large and heavy side for concealed carry. BTW, the Hogue rubber grips are a must for a PT92 or PT100 as the plastic grips that come standard on the Taurus really blow.

15 year old PT92 -pre rail

PT917 (PT92 with a 4" barrel)
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    All I have to say is, if you are going to consolidate to a single platform, don't go to junk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    So you have an injury to your firing hand that makes it recoil sensitive and you want a .40? If you like the M&P, keep that and stick with the 9mm platform and get a M&P 9C.

If you are going to stick with the .40, get a Sig 226 in .40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links