A look at the "new" Colt Mustang Pocketlite - GunBlast Review

This is a discussion on A look at the "new" Colt Mustang Pocketlite - GunBlast Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gunblast has a write up of the re-issued Colt Mustang Pocketlite. When at SHOT Show I asked if the new models were going to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A look at the "new" Colt Mustang Pocketlite - GunBlast Review

JD [OP]
    Administrator

A look at the "new" Colt Mustang Pocketlite - GunBlast Review

Gunblast has a write up of the re-issued Colt Mustang Pocketlite. When at SHOT Show I asked if the new models were going to have improved sights to better compete with the Sig P238 and was told that it would...sadly that appears to not be case if the example shown is a true representation of what will be produced.

The Return of the Colt Mustang PocketLite 380 Semi-Auto Pocket Pistol

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for posting this JD. Makes me think I'd prefer the Colt over the Kel Tec P3AT I have.

The sights certainly are not sophisticated. I love owning and shooting target guns but for self defense purposes I suppose I could live with the little Colt gun's sights. They are worlds better than the P3AT's vague bump on the front of the slide.

This Colt would be worth a look.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good BUG!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Price is right. MSRP $599 per Gallery of Guns.

VIP Member
    It will be on my list of guns to get.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

GM
    I am not a big .380 fan, but I would like to have a Colt Mustang.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    If they bring back the other models I would definitely get another +II and send it out to Novak.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Already own two of the old ones
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I've owned and carried an old Series-80, full stainless (slide and frame) Mustang from very close to the time they were first introduced; and anyone could talk me out of parting with just about any other handgun I own except for the old Mustang. Granted, they don't have target-grade sights, but they're fully functional, extremely dependable, and very accurate if you choose to use them instead of being a sometimes-scorned point-shooter like I am. Actually, I've rounded the outer square corners off the rear sight just to smooth something else that can easily snag on clothing when drawing it from concealment.

The report was correct in that the older ones have become a "cult" gun since they went out of production and been demanding ourtageous prices - not from any "collectors" standpoint, but from the way they perfectly fit the average hand like it was a part or extension of your hand instead of being a tool or foreign object you're holding. There were some shortcomings on the older models like a plastic trigger, plastic slide-spring guide rod, and only 5-round magazines were available; but there are still some quality aftermarket sources for a stainless steel guide rod (which is much smoother using the OEM slide spring instead of the ones that come with the rod), an aluminum trigger machined from billet stock, and the later-introduced Colt 6-round magazine (blue or stainless) to fix those little problems.

Physically, my Mustang is a bit longer and wider than my Ruger LCP, but considerably more rounded and thinner than my Sig P238; but when it comes to the way they feel in the hand with all functions just naturally placed where they feel best, the Mustang is what I carry most comfortably, draw the fastest and can point-shoot the best with. Comparing specifications with other sub-compacts doesn't make them stand out in particular; but simply picking one up, operating it, pointing it, and getting the feel in one's hand will prevent most people from putting it back down again. Even though the LCP is smaller, its grip is just too short to fit right for me, the forward-protruding recurve (to help compensate for the short grip) hangs up on clothing and everything else when drawing it rapidly. The P238 is sweet and a mechanical clone of the Mustang; but its wider, squared-off design makes it a little slower to draw, more difficult to smoothly conceal, and the grip in my hand reminds me of the wooden pistol I used to shoot rubber bands (made from an old tire inner-tube) at my playmates when we were kids. The Mustang's grip is perfect for average to small size men's hands and almost all women's hands because it's the perfect length for a two-finger grip with the little finger curled up under (and gently resting against) the base of the magazine.

One thing I've learned from carrying and shooting a Mustang for almost 30 years is to be very careful about allowing a man (with average to small hands) or any woman (especially a wife) handle and shoot it because you'll have an extremely tough time ever getting it back. You can't imagine how much grovelling I had to do, how many extra chores I assumed, and how many lies I had to tell (about the Mustang being a cherished keepsake from a deceased uncle) to get her to carry the P238 in her purse pocket and let me keep my Mustang. I'm already on the hook to spend close to 600 bucks because guess who was the first to notify me of the Mustang's planned reintroduction a few months ago and now shopping?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Already own two of the old ones
    Thou shalt not gloat!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've been wavering about getting a Sig 238 for a while. I think I'd rather have this Colt instead, it looks good.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yea Colt! It says "Colt" on the slide it has the pony.

I'm no fan of the .380 either but I want this one!

Only 380 I like. My Mustang. I like the Sig also but they are the same. Maybe I'll buy a dozen in case they quit making them again :)

VIP Member
    There is just something about a Colt! Now lets bring back the Python too!
    phreddy, grouse and Bark'n like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is just something about a Colt! Now lets bring back the Python too!
    I would like to see them release to the public the Rail Gun they have submitted for the new Marine Corps M45 MEU(SOC) pistol trials.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links