M&p .45 acp

This is a discussion on M&p .45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier this year, I rented an M&P 9mm at a range in Vegas. I had heard a lot of positive reviews about them, so I ...

Thread: M&p .45 acp

M&p .45 acp

Earlier this year, I rented an M&P 9mm at a range in Vegas. I had heard a lot of positive reviews about them, so I thought I'd give 'em a go.

I wasn't impressed. They are talked up for having good ergonomics, usually compared to a Glock.

Well, I didn't find this pistol any more ergonomic than a Glock, and I found that the trigger was seriously lacking. A lot of slack, and no perceptible reset. It didn't do anything that my Glock couldn't do.

As the year moved along, I decided that I wanted another .45 ACP, and posted about it. Somebody mentioned the M&P, but because of my first impression, I wasn't buying.

I went to several gun stores to check out H&K and Sig pistols. I couldn't really find what I wanted, and I was having a hard time finding a fit for my small hands. While I was at the gun store, I had time to kill so I asked for a M&P .45.

The clerk handed me a .45c. It was ok, I mean it didn't jump into my hand or anything. I dryfired it, checked, I mean, searched for the reset. My second impression was the same as my first. Kinda blah.

I asked which backstrap it had, as it was a bit of a reach for the trigger. Turns out it had the medium one. At my request, they dug out the box and put the small backstrap on. Now, I'm interested

The smaller backstrap was an improvement, not much, but a bigger improvement to me than the Glock Gen IV backstrap options.

Through the next week or so, I did some recon on the M&P. Lots of forum reading, YouTube watching, etc. I read a lot about the Apex offerings to help out the trigger. It seems that the trigger is what most people are complaining about. I discovered that Larry Vickers and Magpul Dynamics both endorse the M&P. MD actually migrated from Glock to M&P. And everybody who's anybody got some kind of Apex modification done on their pistol.

I have previously done business with Grant, at G&R Tactical, when I bought my AR. He carries the M&P in his store and speaks highly of them on m4c. So I emailed Grant about what I wanted and triggers mods, etc. His replies were short, but to the point and helpful.

I went ahead and ordered the M&P mid size .45 ACP, the DCAEK installed, and an extra 14 round magazine from G&R Tactical. Got it all for about the same price as a Glock in my neck of the desert.

Nothing really out of the ordinary to write home about:

Here it's riding in my Remora made for a j-frame, but fits my SP101, G23, and now my M&P .45, nicely:

I took it out yesterday and ran about 75 rounds through it. WWB fmj and jhp. It was boring reliable, had one failure to feed, but I attribute that to user error. I found it very accurate, and it pointed very well.

Summary. I am very glad that I gave the M&P another shot. The Apex parts made all the difference. There is still a bit of slack, but it breaks just as clean as my 1911 The reset is still not as tactile as a Glock, but it's discernable. It's not as short a reset as my 1911, or Glock, either. In fact, I found as I was going back and forth from M&P to 1911, that I prematurely let fly a couple of shots with the 1911, due to it's much shorter reset.

The M&P backstrap system, in my case, is better than the Glock. Now, I understand that this is purely subjective; it is impossible to build a one size fits all pistol, although people try. Another plus to the M&P trigger, is the geometry. The Glock trigger is v shaped, with the safety lever in the front, which adds to the length of pull. The M&P trigger is smooth, and curved. Although my finger still doesn't perfectly reach, at first, the geometry of the trigger allows my finger to naturally fall into place by the time I point in. Every other semi-auto that I've shot, I have had to alter my grip, giving up recoil control for trigger control. I think this pistol is gonna work for me

It carries very nicely. I prefer the appendix position, and I find that the M&P is as easily carried as a G23, although a tiny bit bigger.

I'm really looking forward to putting this pistol through some more rigorous shooting. I have no reason to doubt that it will fly very well. My biggest fear was that I would regret selling the Glock to experiment with something that gave me a negative 1st impression. But, I am glad that I did. It took 3 impressions, though

Don't discount the M&P. A little APEX magic, happy thoughts, and pixie dust; a fine shooter makes.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on your new gun. Your right, no one gun is right for everyone. If they were there wouldn't be all the different makers out there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'm glad you like your new M&P. If one size really did fit all it would be a truly boring world.

Enjoy!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Congratulations. My first "new" edc was a m&p. 45 Fs. I still were it almost all the time in a cbst. Great gun and super reliable. Trust my life on it.

nice review. a nearly perfect pistol IHMO with the exception of the trigger. I don't know how SW manage to drop the ball on that. My only other gripe is why was it designed for 10 rounds. the XD/glock have at least 13 rd mags that looks normal. the extended mag of a 14 rder works but just look funny. nonetheless, it shoot well and is reliable.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    nice review. a nearly perfect pistol IHMO with the exception of the trigger. I don't know how SW manage to drop the ball on that. My only other gripe is why was it designed for 10 rounds. the XD/glock have at least 13 rd mags that looks normal. the extended mag of a 14 rder works but just look funny. nonetheless, it shoot well and is reliable.
    If they increased the capacity then they would have as large a handle as the Glock, or XD .45. Both of which are unfavorable to me.

I don't care whether it holds 5, 8, 10 or 18. You still gotta put lead on target and learn to reload.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Welcome to the new dark side. Resistance is futile! I have both M&P 's and Gen 4's, there is no competition with ergo's. Glock only addresses the backstrap, not the palm swell and back strap like the M&P does. Put them both in your hands, my Glock feels very flat on the sides. You are correct, Magpul has made the switch and even the Art of Handgun video's are all M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Love my M&P 45 Compact !
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Administrator
    I won a steel challenge I shot on a whim last month using a borrowed M&P 45c with Apex mods; I was impressed. It was the first time I've shot the gun, it was a very easy and natural shooter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know about a gun that everyone says to replace the trigger right off the get-go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have 4 M&P's, and the triggers on all are outstanding. Why does everyone here think that you have to get a trigger job on an M&P to make them an acceptable carry weapon?
    Is this some internet folk tale that has caught fire?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Great choice! I love my M&P .45. I just picked up the 14 rd magazine like you have. Very difficult to get the last cartridge in the extended mag. The design is exceptional and the ergonomics are great for a double-stacked .45 cal. It's accurate, reliable, no issues with the trigger. Pure joy. Looking into a subcompact soon.

Links