PM9 vs 442 for EDC

This is a discussion on PM9 vs 442 for EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It just seems like I have trouble choosing to carry my 442 over my PM9. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the 442. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PM9 vs 442 for EDC

PM9 vs 442 for EDC

It just seems like I have trouble choosing to carry my 442 over my PM9. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the 442. They both conceal and pocket carry about the same; the PM9 being slimmer and a little heavier.

It's just that I feel more comfortable carrying 6+1 instead of 5 and I can reload a 7 round mag much faster than a 5 shot speed strip. I'll never part with my 442 and I do carry it every so often and stay in practice with it. But, I find myself looking at it in the morning and then reach for my PM9.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

2. Remove Ads

Carry both of 'em

Problem solved
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Hard to beat the PM9!

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Carry both of 'em

Problem solved
    Beat me to it!

A "NY reload" is the fastest there is. And two is one; one is none.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

GM
    The PM9 is an very good firearm and it is very easy to conceal too. I doubt you will find a better 9mm sub-compact.
    surefire7 likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I tend to carry my Ruger LCR more than my PM9 lately. I'd prefer to carry the PM9, but that LCR is just soooo easy to carry at 13.5 oz and with the rounded shape where it hides the internal hammer. The PM9 is my best 9mm for concealed carry tho.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    I have both , and it always boils down to how I intend to carry, and how well my holster selection fits the mode of dress for the day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the Kahr pm9 and the S&W 642 revolver. The Kahr seems to fit the hand better, conceal easier, and has more rounds (6 + 1) than the revolver. In addition, the recoil of the 642 is harsh compared to the Kahr. The Kahr is, by far, my favorite of the two.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at.
    T. Roosevelt

To me, a J-frame is a 5 and out proposition. Better than stick, but you better have an exit plan.

I have the PM9 and the 642, I think it does matter how you carry it, if the pockets are big enough the 642 is usually more comfortable, if AIWB the PM9 with more rounds, now I thinking why a PM9 for AIWB when I can carry a bigger gun like the Ruger SR9C with 10+1 or 17+1.

I do have some cargo shorts that the PM9 hides very well in it.

Soon I will try a hybrid holster like a crossbreed at 3:30-4:00 position and then for sure a PM9 or larger gun.

I carry my 442 quite a bit, and I have small sub compact semi-autos (PT709, xd40sc, Bersa Thunder 9 uc) and with a speed loader it only takes me half a second longer to reload it than one of my semi-autos. I've practiced both and timed it and it is less than 1 second difference from last shot to next shot. I don't feel the slightest bit undergunned with my snubbies, but they do travel very well in pairs. I often carry my SP101 IWB strong side and my 442 weak side pocket with a couple speed loaders and strips containing .38+P. That way, if I have a malfunction with either weapon, all of my extra carry ammo will work in both. I'd rather have 2 guns with 5 rounds each than one gun with 10 rounds. The chances of both guns malfing at the same time is super low.
    Last edited by BugDude; November 2nd, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'd rather have 2 guns with 5 rounds each than one gun with 10 rounds. The chances of both guns malfing at the same time is super low.
    I agree with this concept - two smaller, lower capacity guns vs one larger one. In my case, I prefer the smaller size, flatter profile, and higher capacity of two small semi-autos, but the concept is the same.

Of course, if you can carry a larger gun and a smaller one as a secondary, then more power to you...

If you carry two largish, high cap pistols...then you might be overdoing it a little bit.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

442 in an ankle holster.....PM9 in your pocket.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I tried a 442 in pocket yesterday at the gun shop (unloaded), my PM9 was more comfortable but heavier. Even with the 442 loaded I'm certain it would still be lighter.

I'll stick with my original thoughts, PM9.

Sold my J Frame to purchase a PM9. J frame was harder to control and after 25 shots I was ready to quit. PM9 is fine for 100+ rounds at a time with a great trigger. I carry mine about 10-15% of the time when my H&KP2000 or P2000sk would be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links