What's the problem with 1911 magazines????? - Page 2

What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

This is a discussion on What's the problem with 1911 magazines????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock There is a pink Elephant sitting in the room and everyone is too nice to point it out. Kimber ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is a pink Elephant sitting in the room and everyone is too nice to point it out. Kimber mags suck. It's a reason why many folks get pissed when they purchase a 1,000 dollar plus gun and take it to the range for the first time. I honestly don't know why Kimbers don't come with Kimpro mags from the get go. My Colt works great with factory Colt mags.
    Once again I must be the guy that just gets the good stuff, I have six Kimber magazines for my Kimber and they all work fine. My Kimber works fine also, right out of the box no modifications. Slap a mag in, chamber a round and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. I am amazed at how blessed I am.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I think the elephant in the room is when people pay $13 for a magazine and whine that it jams then blames the gun for being unreliable.

The original colt 1911 magazines had a very different lip design than the modern 1911 magazines you find today...which could be a contributing factor. The most complaints I have seen is the flush fitting 8 round magazines have a short follower that trends to jam the round directly forward into the feed ramp.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My .40 Glock mags have an "8" molded into them. So let me get this straight , that is 8 revisions Glock has made to try and get the .40s feeding correctly but nobody has had any trouble with their glocks but 1911s are too heavy . have too many parts and suck in general.

There is a reason it is sometimes called the "errornet"

My 8 round Colt mags are flawless.

I think it also has alot to do with the vast number of 1911 manufactures not all keeping everything to exact specs.
    Some guns produced may even be out of measurement in different places.

For an example, I read an article by a custom maker explaining how the barrel link on some barrels may be out of spec allowing too much forward movement of the barrel when the bullet is making it's way into the chamber during the cycling of the slide during firing. This could throw the proper distance and angle off enough to cause an failure to feed.

Little things that are unnoticed by looking at a gun, are the main reasons to buy a gun from Colt.
    Or a custom gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    “I really enjoy my 1911, but won't use it for defense for this reason (even though a properly tuned 1911 can be just as reliable as a Glock) ...”
    I do not want to start a 1911 vs Glock war, but when Glocks were introduced to the market they where compared to 1911s because of their good reliability.

"… The problem is that each 1911 is a slight bit different. Even with dealing with the same exact model, every pistol is a tad bit different …"
    IMO the problem with a 1911 is not the design; the problem is that way too many manufacturers build their 1911s to their own specifications and not to JMB’s specifications. What do you think it would happen if different manufacturers started to build Glocks after their own specifications? I think that what makes a 1911 unreliable are all the "improvements".

If 1911s were not reliable enough, then why is the 1911 still the service pistol of choice in the eyes of several military/police tactical teams? I carry a 1911 and I trust my life to the original design. If I knew that I was going to get into a situation in which I will have to fight for my life - and I could choose my sidearm - I would definitely choose a 1911 (or a BHP).

"… (My RIA Tactical might like certain mags, while another Tactical might dislike the mags my gun likes). Certain magazines seem to work well in one gun while jamming another.

Every make of magazine has a different style of follower, spring, feed lips and feed angle. My RIA Tactical likes CMC Power mags, MecGar 7rnd, and the ACT-MAG the gun shipped with. I've only tried these mags in it, but I'm willing to bet that it would do okay with Wilson Combat mags. …"
    IMO a 1911’s weak spot is the magazine; not all magazines are created equal. I use Wilson mags in all my 1911s and I have never had any problem with them. I like RIAs, I think they are very good firearms for the money, but that is exactly what they are, "very good for the money". However, if you use quality mags a RIA might function much better. You get what you pay for.

"… It seems that the most reliable 1911 mags are the flush fitting 7rnds, but I've never had any trouble with 8rnd'ers either …”
    All my Wilson mags are 8 rounds, and all of them have always worked flawlessly.

"… EDIT: I wanted to add something about Glock mags. Glocks always function well because the mags are specifically designed for the gun by the same manufacturer that produces the gun …”
    Are you sure that Glocks ALWAYS function well? Are you also sure that Glock’s mags ALWAYS work flawlessly? Well, we obviously have very different experiences.

"… My G19 mag will work in Bob or Steve's G19 because the gun is manufactured in the same manner and the mags are manufactured for the gun …"
    Once again, I use Wilson mags in all my 1911s and I have never had any problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    "... Quality gun, quality mags= good to go ..."
    I totally agree!
    Last edited by GM; November 1st, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I only use Wilson Combat.....what is this 1911 magazine problem of which you speak?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I was having a few minor issues with Wilson 47D & 47DC mags in my SA light weight Champion, mainly locking the slide back after the last round, I installed a Tripp Research super 7 kit in 4 of the Wilson mags (still have 4 that have original springs) which has corrected the problem. I also purchased 2 Tripp 8 round mags, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
    Last edited by shooterX; November 1st, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I just love these discussions...My XD works

dont buy a gun that was built a 100 years ago ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

I just love these discussions...My XD works
    XDs suck also , I know it is true because I read it on the internet.

There are several makes out there that work just fine as long as the user does his/her part on maintaining them.

Administrator
    Differences in 1911 Magazines.

Some differences are just minor tolerance differences between manufacturers.

Most differences in 1911 magazines are (of course) in the location of the feed lips. Some of those differences are intentional. Most of those differences determine the point during the feed cycle that the cartridge leaves the magazine to begin it's journey into the barrel chamber.

Folks must remember that the 1911 was originally designed to have a captive feed system with .45ACP Military Ball ammunition & the "original" 1911 mag "feed lips" were ideal for that intended purpose.

Then...over time along came MANY different bullet nose configurations, bullet styles, semi-wadcutter, flat nose, Glaser, etc...and (in addition) the competition need for cartridges of sometimes radically different "power" factors and Overall Different Lengths.

The huge variety of .45 ACP cartridge configurations in combination with the wide span of different power recoil springs (ultra light to super heavy) tailored to those cartridges is what spawned some of magazine idiosyncrasies in the area of the magazine feed lips.
    The different recoil spring weights made minor alterations to the feed lips necessary because the different spring weights affected the cyclical timing of the pistol. And...cartridges of different OAL and nose configurations needed slightly different "release points" in order to feed optimally.
    Thus were born the very first "competition" style magazines.

Some of those differences were also what were believed to "improvements" to the feed cycle.

The 1911 shooter that only intends to shoot FMJ hardball can often get away with the least expensive GOVT SURPLUS older Colt Mags. I once bought about 40 surplus magazines for a few dollars each. They work just fine with hardball and hard lead Mil Spec reloads.

Admittedly NOW...it's all gotten a bit goofy with scores of manufacturers all producing their own variations of 1911 Magazine.

For instance the TRIPP Cobra Mags position the top cartridge a bit higher and at slightly more favorable angle for MOST, but, not all 1911s.

Really though the comsumer...AKA the 1911 shooters truly DO benefit from the great numbers of various available magazines that are ULTRA high quality compared to some other firearms.

What you need to do is find a brand of magazine that enables your pistol to function flawlessly and just stick with that manufacturer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I should add this.... Colt 1911 RECOIL SPRINGS vary from 7 Pounds all the way up to 28 Pounds & I can guarantee you that if you cut the recoil spring weight of any GLOCK in half and wanted to feed Lead Target Wadcutters through it...the Glock wouldn't be able to use the same "factory standard" magazine either.

OD*, GM and glockman10mm like this.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

There are several makes out there that work just fine as long as the user does his/her part on maintaining them.
    That was good

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Differences in 1911 Magazines.

Some differences ...
    Very good post
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Once again I must be the guy that just gets the good stuff, I have six Kimber magazines for my Kimber and they all work fine. My Kimber works fine also, right out of the box no modifications. Slap a mag in, chamber a round and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. I am amazed at how blessed I am.

Semper Fi
    So you are saying that Kimber factory mags are quality? You are definitely in the minority. Hell even Kimber recommends Kimpro mags when you call in with issues. That is the second thing they will say shortly after "Have you ran 500 rounds through it yet."

Count your blessings....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I think every 1911 owner should learn how to adjust their magazines to their weapon. You can do it manually or buy the tool 1911 AUTO MAGAZINE LIP FORMING TOOLS - Brownells

I have done so for mine and they are flawless and I have many different brands.

This was posted by a guy named 1911tuner a long time ago an another forum and I saved it to my gunsmith archives...

I've found that...as good as Metalform mags are..that some of their flat followers need a little tweak to work like John Moses intended.

Ya gotta be careful, though...or you'll snap the shelf off and warp the top of the follower.

Hold the follower in front of your face, so that you're lookin' at the front end of it...slidestop shelf to your right. Grasp the top with a pair of wide pliers...as close to the front as the shelf will allow, and use the widest
    pliers that the shape of the follower will allow without causing the rear leg to bend outward and mess up the angle.

Wedge a slot-tip screwdriver blade between the split in the follower and
    apply a little quick leverage toward the shelf. It'll be trial and error until you
    develop a "feel" for it, so be patient.

What you want to see is a very narrow "V" split between the shelf and the
    front of the cartridge ledge. This tweak not only establishes that "V", but it tends to put a slight upward slant on the shelf toward the outside, and
    make the engagement with the stop lug more positive. Look at the top
    of the follower to see the "V". When you can see a little sliver of light
    between'em...it's just about right.

Install it in the magazine and try it. There's a chance that you may have to
    take a couple of shots at it before it works...so take your time and don't
    put a lot of leverage on the shelf. They break off like right now when ya
    don't use a delicate touch.
    First..the shelf should be parallel to the top of the follower, and it helps to have the angle corrected to spec. Some aren't.

Looking down on top of the follower, the shelf should show a narrow
    "V" as it departs to the left. If it's not there, you can bend it sideways carefully thusly:

With the front of the follower facing you, grasp the top with a pair of pliers
    as close to the front as the bend in the shelf will allow. This is to keep the top from warping. Use the tip of a slot-type screwriver to lever the shelf
    sideways S-L-I-G-H-T-L-Y. Easy does it...Too much pressure and the shelf will snap off. This also works to bend the shelf slightly up on the outside, which contacts the stop a little earlier, and tends to create a captive shelf that pulls the shelf toward the stop's lug instead of springing it away from it. This works well, though nothing can be 100% successful...but I've been able to correct the problem about 99 out of a hundred tries.

There's also the matter of the feed lips...If they've been damaged...bent inward...the follower can't rise to spec height, and the slidelock won't lift
    as high or as positively as it will when the magazine is to spec. If the damage isn't too bad, and the magazine still feeds, you can narrow the
    follower just a bit. File off the left side, taking as little as possible off the engagement portion of the shelf as you can. Again...no guarantees there.
    It depends on how much the magazine is sprung out of spec width at the top. Sometimes, the only thing you can do is toss the mag and try another one

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

Heheh, well I didn't read that 1911's suck on the internet...
    1911's are like Red Heads
    I wrote it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links