What's the problem with 1911 magazines????? - Page 3

What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

This is a discussion on What's the problem with 1911 magazines????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shooterX DC I was having a few minor issues with Wilson 47D I too had some minor issues with 47Ds, I have ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    DC I was having a few minor issues with Wilson 47D
    I too had some minor issues with 47Ds, I have replaced all the followers and springs, they now only hold seven rounds. I'll be damned if the old guy that designed the pistol didn't know a thing or two about them.
    Last edited by OD*; November 1st, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Spellun'
    shooterX likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    dont buy a gun that was built a 100 years ago ;)
    My 1913, M1911 wasn't made quite 100 years ago, but it still works perfectly.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This was posted by a guy named 1911tuner a long time ago an another forum and I saved it to my gunsmith archives...
    The guy's name is John Travis, and he is pretty dang sharp on 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    dont buy a gun that was built a 100 years ago ;)
    JMB's designs are still influential on every single semi automatic handgun today....

JMB's designs are still influential on every single semi automatic handgun today....
    This I agree with but I believe his stroke of genious was the vastly more simple lockup of the high power as it has been copied with so much success by EVERYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    This I agree with but I believe his stroke of genious was the vastly more simple lockup of the high power as it has been copied with so much success by EVERYONE.
    He designed two BHP prototypes.... one was locked breech striker fired and the other was the blowback design you see now. he was a genius and his designs have been copied and improved on with modern technology by all. To say that his design is outdated because it is 100 years old is to be uneducated on firearm history and design.
    shooterX likes this.

He designed two BHP prototypes.... one was locked breech striker fired and the other was the blowback design you see now. he was a genius and his designs have been copied and improved on with modern technology by all. To say that his design is outdated because it is 100 years old is to be uneducated on firearm history and design.
    Didn't know there where 2 BHP prototypes...learned somethin...anyway I wouldn't say 1911's are outdated. I would say that if your life depends on it, there are a bunch of cheaper more reliable designs out there. They just so happen to be based on JMB's later design.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I too had some minor issues with 47Ds, I have replaced all the followers a springs, they now only hold seven rounds. I'll be damned if the old guy that designed the pistol didn't know a thing or two about them.
    Yep reduced to 7 rounds, which is why I bought 2 of the 8 round Tripp mags as these are suppose to be a true 8 rounder, which I am told the Wilson ETM mags are as well.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    So you are saying that Kimber factory mags are quality? You are definitely in the minority. Hell even Kimber recommends Kimpro mags when you call in with issues. That is the second thing they will say shortly after "Have you ran 500 rounds through it yet."

Count your blessings....
    over 5,000

Sir, you are correct.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

This post got me thinking, so I got all of my 1911 mags and counted them, I have 52 mags. Now 22 are for my Colt 10mm and the rest are for my 45's.The name brands are Mcormick, Wilsom, Colt and Les Bear and yes he makes his own. The follower looks like a Wilsom.But all my mags work.I do take care of them. When I did lots action shooting I would go home and clean my weapon and clean my mags.They been drop in dirt , step on, you name.If the mag is getting tired put new mag springs in it. I'am not married to it, if I have too I replace it and throw the old one out.Some times the feed lips spread on them.Hell I got a 7 round WWII mag with the old spring in it and it works.Food for thought.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I just stick with Wilson 47s and never have a problem.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

just picked up 4 new colt 1911 mags from cheaperthandirt.com for about 14 bucks each....they are original colt and work great in my CC.....

I do have a stainless steel wilson (I believe) which won't eject when it gets warm......so..went back to colt's mags....

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links