What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

This is a discussion on What's the problem with 1911 magazines????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a few 1911s and like many other people, have had my share of "bad" magazines, or magazines from a manufacturer that my 1911 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

What's the problem with 1911 magazines?????

I've had a few 1911s and like many other people, have had my share of "bad" magazines, or magazines from a manufacturer that my 1911 just didn't like, however; I've never had a magazine issue with a Glock, H&K, or XD.
    Just thinking out loud here.....what in the 1911 design makes them so finicky about the magazines?

Don't want to turn this into a plastic Vs steel contest or a Glock Vs Kimber contest, just seems like the 1911 is way more prone to magazine issues then the plastic guns.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Most 1911's have no feed ramp like other pistol's,so the angle is critical.So i've been told by Idpa Master Shooter Matt Sims.

OD*
    Some of the problem is the number of different companies making 1911 magazines, not all of them do it well (most 1911 manufacturers don't produce their own magazine).
    JD and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I really enjoy my 1911, but won't use it for defense for this reason (even though a properly tuned 1911 can be just as reliable as a Glock). The problem is that each 1911 is a slight bit different. Even with dealing with the same exact model, every pistol is a tad bit different (My RIA Tactical might like certain mags, while another Tactical might dislike the mags my gun likes). Certain magazines seem to work well in one gun while jamming another.

Every make of magazine has a different style of follower, spring, feed lips and feed angle. My RIA Tactical likes CMC Power mags, MecGar 7rnd, and the ACT-MAG the gun shipped with. I've only tried these mags in it, but I'm willing to bet that it would do okay with Wilson Combat mags.

Also remember that some 1911s have a ramped or slightly modified barrel, so this might affect magazine performance some.

It seems that the most reliable 1911 mags are the flush fitting 7rnds, but I've never had any trouble with 8rnd'ers either.

Someone else might have other explanations.

EDIT: I wanted to add something about Glock mags. Glocks always function well because the mags are specifically designed for the gun by the same manufacturer that produces the gun. My G19 mag will work in Bob or Steve's G19 because the gun is manufactured in the same manner and the mags are manufactured for the gun.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Most 1911's have no feed ramp like other pistol's,so the angle is critical.So i've been told by Idpa Master Shooter Matt Sims.
    Possibly he meant the angle of the feed ramp? All 1911s, with the exception of those with ramped barrels, have a feed ramp, that's the reason for the term "polish the feed ramp and throat and polish the barrel."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I imagine there would be issues with glocks and others if there were an infinite amount of companies producing magazines for them.

1911 magazines are made by everyone it seems. I don't know why companies don't just send their guns out with some 47d or powermags.
    bigmacque and phreddy like this.

I know my Colt has yet to bobble on a round since I obtained Wilson 47Ds. And the same for the replacement mags they sent me. It feeds reliable sideways, upside down, weak hand or whatever.
    Quality gun, quality mags= good to go. Even with my reloads.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I imagine there would be issues with glocks and others if there were an infinite amount of companies producing magazines for them.

1911 magazines are made by everyone it seems. I don't know why companies don't just send their guns out with some 47d or powermags.
    +1 on this.

The other thing to consider is individual magazine manufacturers track records. I have three Springfield mags for mine, plus two Wilson Combat's -- none have ever failed me, but you can see a marked difference in the build quality of the Wilsons. So a fair comparison on failures might better be between manufacturers or within manufacturers if they're producing multiple lines.

I'd also consider the history of the gun. A bona-fide 1911, by that I mean one that was made to live in the conditions originally imagined i.e. combat, mud, water, dry dusty air, all of the above, by and large still functions as a "reliable" gun, or at least more reliable than most others under severe adverse conditions, and the ability of the soldier with little more gunsmithing tools than a leatherman to fix things on the run.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

O.K.,let me clear up my words,no feed ramp "made" on the barrel as Glock,H.K,Sig ...............................!Another reason I love my "Gen 3" glocks so much,no polishing,no mag issues,no ftf,fte,just good ol' fun.Now can't say that about the Gen4,but that's another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Possibly he meant the angle of the feed ramp? All 1911s, with the exception of those with ramped barrels, have a feed ramp, that's the reason for the term "polish the feed ramp and throat and polish the barrel."

I understand - although not from first-hand experience - that some of the Korean-made Glock mags have less than stellar performance.

And in a hundred years, lets see how many different outfits produce Glocks and mags and if they all work well together.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just so I can be fair,Glock also had mag problems,hince the drop-free mag we all enjoy now.

sgb
    Tripp Cobra Mags
    Wilson Combat ETM
    McCormick Powermags
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I bought some "Colt" mags at a gun show once I have since learned are Chinese,over time the feed lips became sprung and I had the follower and spring fly out at the gun range,Wilson 47D's are what I carry in my Colt CC and on my belt ,once you compare them I believe the Wilsons are made from Stainless Steel and you can feel the difference between them and the tin mags.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    There is a pink Elephant sitting in the room and everyone is too nice to point it out. Kimber mags suck. It's a reason why many folks get pissed when they purchase a 1,000 dollar plus gun and take it to the range for the first time. I honestly don't know why Kimbers don't come with Kimpro mags from the get go. My Colt works great with factory Colt mags.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know my Colt has yet to bobble on a round since I obtained Wilson 47Ds. And the same for the replacement mags they sent me. It feeds reliable sideways, upside down, weak hand or whatever.
    Quality gun, quality mags= good to go. Even with my reloads.
    Therein lies the problem. My Springfield didn't like Wilson mags. There is no question of the quality of Wilson, but my Springfield likes Kimber mags. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is a pink Elephant sitting in the room and everyone is too nice to point it out. Kimber mags suck.
    ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links