Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters! - Page 2

Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters!

This is a discussion on Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 6'2 and have large hands, LOVE my PM9... I carry it every day using various methods depending on the situation for the moment. Silent ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'm 6'2 and have large hands, LOVE my PM9... I carry it every day using various methods depending on the situation for the moment.

Silent Thunder for IWB
    Smart Carry for deep concealment (business attire)
    Galco Stinger for OWB

I can't say enough about the gun, it's reliable (0 failures/700 rounds), small but not too small, thin but not too thin, accurate and a joy to shoot.

Shown with Stinger:

2011-10-31 by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

Everything else aside. if you don't like you pinky hanging off, sell it and get something that fits. Don't shoot it, it will never be worth more than it is right now as an unfired LNIB box pistol...you will have no trouble selling it either! If you really like the gun [I do]. just keep it or wait until you sort everything out. No rush. I think it's a mistake to go with pocket carry right off the bat because as you have already demised, there are many concessions one has to make in either the gun or wardrobe. You best bet is to find something you like in a typical compact size and then figure out is it OWB only or IWB/OWB either.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I'm 6'2" and have XL-XXL size hands. Just got back from the range. Have only been shooting for 3 months. I own a Springfield XDM 9mm compact and a Kahr CM-9. Shot both plus my friends 1911 .45. At 15 feet I had under 2" groups with all 3 guns. The 2 larger guns were by far easier to shoot with large hands. The Kahr takes a little more concentration. Biggest reason is the longer trigger pull. I love the trigger on the XDM, the Kahr is ok. The Kahr feels very good in my hand though. I played with the Kahr p380 in the store later and it's a little smaller than the CM9 but it felt really good too. Funny, I actually prefer shooting the XDM with the shorter compact mag rather than the full size one. Having my little finger under the mag feels good. I know some don't like it but I do. You need to go and shoot a few different small guns to see what fits your hand. When you find the right one, you will know it. It will feel like it "fits like a glove" XXL of course :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    +1 I was going to mention HICKOK45. I didn't know he was 6'8". I was thinking more around 6'2".
    He loves small guns and shoots them well.
    HE Says that in his FAQ. I really didn't notice him being tall until I read that.

VIP Member
    While I don't have large hands, I do have a few years of life experience. With practice anything is possible. You may never be able to shoot a fly in flight, but you can be accurate with the gun. If you find the MK9 too uncomfortable due to it's size, look at the CW9. It's a little larger than the MK but due to the polymer frame it is lighter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

when it comes to handguns, everything is a trade off and compromise. i just hate there isn't the one perfect gun for all needs/situations but it sure makes for a nice collection in the pursuit.

Comments on Kahr MK9

The original poster seems to have mixed feelings about his Kahr MK9, and is negative about the gun's weight and short trigger reach for his large hands.

I've had a MK9 for about 5 years, and it does have pros and cons. On the plus side it has very small dimensions and is quite concealable, with good reliability and accuracy. The capacity of the MK9 is 7, which is 2 more than a J frame revolver, and it fires 9mm ammo, which is probably more potent than .38 special in a snubby revolver. It has a smooth trigger pull and good sights.

On the negative side it is pretty small for a person with large hands, and the weight (25 ounces empty) makes it impractical for pocket carry. With belt carry the weight is not excessive, and it dampens recoil.

I like the MK9 and feel that it fills a specific niche. But it isn't perfect for all applications. I only use mine once in a while for carry.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I think you'd be surprised what you can carry if you dress around the gun...

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by stickemup View Post
    i just hate there isn't the one perfect gun for all needs/situations...
    Unfortunately, there is no perfect handgun for all situations, but a compact and thin single stack is the most versatile gun one can have and is the best place to start. Guns I'd consider first are the Kahr K9, K40, CW9, CW45; Walther PPS; HK P7, Springfield EMP and possibly the Ruger LC9. If you can't get your pinky on one of these, then you might / should be looking at compact 1911's which are larger, but also thinner than most double stacks. The number one issue for anybody new to cc is: what will my body tolerate inside the waistband and where. It could be not at all. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Just curious. You say you bought this MK9 over a year ago and never shot it. Do you have a home defense gun...shotgun or other? If this is your only gun, then there is another way to go about all this.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

yes, i have a home defense gun...in fact several. i started this thread mainly because i have a rather large hand and find these mini pistols to be very uncomfortable from a 'how does it feel in my hand' standpoint. further, i was wanting to know if people with large hands EVER get really comfortable with these small pistols because of their smaller grips and short trigger reach.

i really want to like my mk9 otherwise i wouldn't have bought it. the size and weight of the pistol, from a concealed carry standpoint is not really the issue (although the mk9 isn't what i would consider 'pocket weight' but it IS 'pocket sized'). holstering the weapon, again, it's a piece of cake. the issue is the small grip and short trigger reach. the pistol just doesn't feel natural in my hand.

if this was just about weight, i'd simply go buy a PM9 (same size as my mk9) and shed about 10 oz's which would open up more carry methods, including pocket. problem solved, right? NOOOO, it still would feel awkward in my large hand and it would still have that shorter trigger reach. how do you get past this problem??? you buy a bigger pistol, right? simple enough.....unless you want to pocket carry occasionally, and want it to be easily and comfortably concealed. the pm9 is the answer, unless you aren't comfortable with the way it feels in your hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links