Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters!

This is a discussion on Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start with my main question and then go on to my dilemma. The question is... Have you found it possible to become extremely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket or 'mini' 9's...380's too. Size matters!

Let me start with my main question and then go on to my dilemma. The question is...

Have you found it possible to become extremely comfortable HANDLING and SHOOTING your pocket-sized or 'mini' 9mm / 380 (even if you holster it), IF YOU HAVE A LARGE HAND???

Now, let me state some qualifications to my question. Let's assume the meaning of the word "large" is someone who can fairly easily palm a basketball....someone who always has to buy gloves that are at least XXL in size. I'm not necessarily talking about a 'fat hand', just a large hand with long fingers.

I know, through tons of practice, we can usually learn to be "good enough" at most things BUT we're still not totally/extremely comfortable or pleased with the result. Let's also assume YOU, with your large mitt, took your pocket or mini 380 or 9 to the range and fired 500 rounds (give or take) through it so you could become accurate and to work out any 'bugs'. Are you now 110% comfortable, 100%, 90%, etc. with your 'mouse-sized' gun, despite your large hand? Have you forced yourself to be comfy because it's your only handgun or because you can stick it in your pocket? Are you happy with it as your edc - ccw?

Now, for my dilemmas. I own a Kahr MK9 (elite), the all steel version of the more familiar polymer Kahr PM9. MAKE NO MISTAKE, I am confident Kahr makes a FINE handgun...even though I have never fired mine. I have, however, cleaned and held it on a number of occasions. The fact is, while I know I should give it a fair chance by taking it to the range, it just DOESN'T feel comfortable (for a couple of reasons) due to my large sized hand. First, when I bought it, I thought I could get used to the 2 finger grip and if not, I'd be happy using it with the extended mag giving me a 'kinda-sorta' 3 finger grip. Well, I don't think there will be any such luck!!! Secondly, even when I try to adjust my grip, my trigger finger is so long it extends far beyond the trigger/trigger guard area to the other side of the pistol. So much for comfortably using the 'finger tip" (or even close) on the trigger.

Unrelated to the small size of the MK9, another problem (for me) I have is it's weight (I really don't know why I bought it to begin with except it sure is pretty). On the rare occasion I would WANT to
    pocket-carry...it's just too heavy. So, believe it or not, I'm contemplating a new Kahr PM9 which is exactly the same size gun, same grip size, but it's about 8 oz lighter than my MK9. This makes NO sense. I'm trying to justify this purchase by thinking the PM9 would be pocketable, on those rare occasions, and would also be more enjoyable in an IWB holster. Therefore, I'd be more likely to 'WANT' to carry as a matter of habit.

Having said all of this...I'm still stuck with a pistol that's too small for my hand AND I just don't know if I'll ever be able to FORCE myself to like these mini pistols. I've handled the SIG P238. No chance! I've handled a LCP, no chance. i don't like revolvers. I really want to stay with a KAHR 9mm. Heck, I've thought about stepping up in size (perhaps a Kahr P9) but it just presents a 'whole-nuther' set of concealment challenges. Oh brother, what to do!!!

VIP Member
    I own the PM9 and carry it on rare occasion, but IWB rather than in a pocket. It is a great little gun for what it is, but it is still a little gun. For all day, every day carry, my Glock 19 is as small as I care to go, for some of the same reasons you outlined in your post.

I have smaller hands and have become very proficient with my LCP and LC9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

IMO ,you should skip the pocket venue and go with a S&W M&PC or a Glock G26/27. These are relatively small guns and almost disappear with the PROPER holster. Why mess with small BUG types when what we all need is a gun that fits comfortably in the hand, whether it is good as a pocket gun or not! I have gone the pocket .380 route at least three times and have settled on my LC9 for EDC. It can be pocket friendly if absolutely necessary, but that is pushing the envelope to do too often. Good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

not sure why everyone with large hands has an issue holding a small gun. So what?

If you are used to shooting a range King, everything decent for CCW will feel like a toy. I carry a PF-9, Kahr CW9 and Kahr CM9 in my pants pocket all the time. The CW9 is pushing the limit, but no probleme' in cargo shorts.

I have big hands. I shoot small guns and large guns. Since the manufactures did request my input when they designed them, I have to adapt my grip accordingly. I deal with it.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Here is my thinking. If someone has small hands, no body is going to recommend they carry a huge, double-stack .45acp. Likewise, if you have large hands, I do not recommend the tiny mouse guns. They just don't fit.

Now, don't get me wrong. They CAN (and do) work for a great many people. If you feel like working through the issues arising from those big ham-hands (that is what I call mine), go for it. It certainly can be done. It all depends on if pocket carry is your only option. If it is not, then you might be better served with a larger frame.

I also like small, hot rod cars. I just can't squeeze my 6'3" frame in to very many of them. That is why I drive a truck. Oh, well, that's life.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    RoadRunner71 pretty much nailed it. I have small hands - I would not buy a Desert Eagle. Just not gonna work out too well.

Look at HICKOK45 vids on You Tube. He's 6'8 long fingers and shoots small guns well. The problem is you don't shoot. You have a gun you never shoot. Either get use to the grip which you may like over time? Or sell it and go to the store and buy on you like the feel. Pretty simple IMO

Take a look at the Walther PPS in 9mm with a 7 or 8 round magazine and the Large backstrap. Due to the thin size of the PPS either configuration will fit into your pocket. I wear a Large Glove size, which is tight and I have no problem with the PPS. As for me I carry my PPS in my pocket all the time, even when wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I have never found a holster that I can comfortably wear all day, walking, sitting or working at my desk, not to mention wearing one in 100+ degree heat. Glocks are great handguns and I enjoy shooting mine, but due to their width they tend to print, are not comfortable or easily accessible carried in a pocket.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    To add to a few others, you really should at least go shoot a few hundred rounds through your Kahr MK9. I have the CM9 and I love it, not because it's the most comfortable gun to shoot, but because it's reliable and can be with me all the time. I have decent sized hands and I completely agree with you, small guns aren't as comfortable as big guns to shoot, and I'm not sure that will ever change. I guess it's just a matter of prioritizing whats most important for you.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stickemup View Post
    Let me start with my main question and then go on to my dilemma. The question is...
    Have you found it possible to become extremely comfortable HANDLING and SHOOTING your pocket-sized or 'mini' 9mm / 380 (even if you holster it), IF YOU HAVE A LARGE HAND???

Now, for my dilemmas. I own a Kahr MK9 (elite), the all steel version of the more familiar polymer Kahr PM9. MAKE NO MISTAKE, I am confident Kahr makes a FINE handgun...even though I have never fired mine. I have, however, cleaned and held it on a number of occasions. The fact is, while I know I should give it a fair chance by taking it to the range, it just DOESN'T feel comfortable (for a couple of reasons) due to my large sized hand.

Unrelated to the small size of the MK9, another problem (for me) I have is it's weight (I really don't know why I bought it to begin with except it sure is pretty). On the rare occasion I would WANT to pocket-carry...it's just too heavy. So, believe it or not, I'm contemplating a new Kahr PM9 which is exactly the same size gun, same grip size, but it's about 8 oz lighter than my MK9.
    -------------------

You are OVERTHINKING the Problem

1. A gun you won't shoot is useless for self defense.

2. You can carry and conceal anything if you work at it a little.

Have you ever tried something medium size like a J frame .38 or a single stack 9mm compact?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

If you want a real pocket gun, consider the Seecamp. I have one in .32 and another in .380.
    Almost a cult following, top of the line quality, and easily fit in a pocket holster, a Matt DelFatti, if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Look at HICKOK45 vids on You Tube. He's 6'8 long fingers and shoots small guns well. The problem is you don't shoot. You have a gun you never shoot. Either get use to the grip which you may like over time? Or sell it and go to the store and buy on you like the feel. Pretty simple IMO
    +1 I was going to mention HICKOK45. I didn't know he was 6'8". I was thinking more around 6'2".
    He loves small guns and shoots them well.

I have, according to the gloves I have to buy, large hands and never could get comfortable with the LCP. I traded it for a Bodyguard 380 and even though there is not a tremendous difference in size the BG feels much better. I am not saying that one is better than the other, only that you need to handle as many as you can to find out what works best for you. This said, for a larger iwb gun I carry a LC9 in a Bear Creek holster and it is very comfortable to carry and shoot. Again, this is what fits me and you need to find what works for you.
    Be safe, Frank.

holster.jpg

alot of interesting and helpful comments. i suppose it could come down to learning to become proficient and learning to become comfortable with these small pistols. as for proficient, if by some chance i would have some type of accident that severed one of my fingers on my shooting hand, i could still find a way through lots of practice to become proficient...even with a missing finger. would i ever learn to become comfortable with a missing finger? likely never. you know, i'd like to take this pistol to the range and actually enjoy shooting on a frequent basis....500, 1000, 2000 rounds. i'm not looking at buying a pistol, sticking it in my pocket/holster, and being satisfied that i'm armed and good to go. this ain't about 'show and tell'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links