Wood's Gun thinking 10mm.

This is a discussion on Wood's Gun thinking 10mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of 10mm for backpacking and hiking, I have other calibers but not suited for larger animals, I am thinking 10mm instead of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Wood's Gun thinking 10mm.

I am thinking of 10mm for backpacking and hiking, I have other calibers but not suited for larger animals, I am thinking 10mm instead of 357mag or 44mag, more round capacity and lighter to carry.

Anyone carry the 10 in the woods or do you hunt hogs or deer with it?

I carry one for self defense. And I hunt javelina and feral hogs with it.

The 10mm is a freight train. Its pretty much good for anything. My dream would be a Sig Sauer factory 10mm...if they made one. Guess Ill settle for a nice 1911 or a Glock 20.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I think the 10mm is a good choice to be a woods gun. You may want to ask Glockman10mm if it will really make a difference as to what round you carry and which one he recommends.

I think one time he said the 10mm is between a 357 Mag & a 44 Mag...(I think that's right).

Also, if room will allow for it, you might want back up and carry a rifle if there's a chance you'll be in a place with big predators.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Good choice, I have the Glock 29SF, but the 20SF is higher capacity version. My 29sf is a very smooth shooter. I love it and absolutely recommend it.

The Winchester Super-X Silvertip should be a good choice. It is supposed to approximate .41 magnum ballistics according to reviews.

I would love to have this one: CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON Titan

It looks to be a great choice for a powerful side arm for hiking and it would take deer as long as the hunter placed his shots in the "boiler room." I like the looks of the 10MM and even the .40 S&W in a way that I don't feel for the 9mm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    The 10mm G20 Glock is a good woods gun, use HCFN rounds in the woods not JHP, some Alaskans are starting to carry them tricked out with a 6" barrel and heaver then factory recoil spring. Of course a 44mag would be more powerful but with 15+1 rounds of heavy 10mm vs 6 rounds of 44mag I'd feel warm and fuzzy and I would carry a G20, with a good strong can of Bear Spray to use first though. On the subject of bears if one does desire to charge you'll maybe have 7 to 3 seconds to decide you have to draw, aim, and fire. So they suggest spray first and shoot second.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Great choice. The 10 is a monster!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Thumbs up

Huh!,I'd shoot first then spray,"Just Saying".
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    The 10mm G20 Glock is a good woods gun, use HCFN rounds in the woods not JHP, some Alaskans are starting to carry them tricked out with a 6" barrel and heaver then factory recoil spring. Of course a 44mag would be more powerful but with 15+1 rounds of heavy 10mm vs 6 rounds of 44mag I'd feel warm and fuzzy and I would carry a G20, with a good strong can of Bear Spray to use first though. On the subject of bears if one does desire to charge you'll maybe have 7 to 3 seconds to decide you have to draw, aim, and fire. So they suggest spray first and shoot second.

You cannot go wrong with the 10mm. In it's full house loads it is in the lower end 41 mag power range.

There are several good loadings that you can choose that will do anything you want done in a woods gun for medium sized game, or the smaller bears.

180 grn Controlled expansion bullet, or 200 grn Flat nosed lead bullet as loaded by Double Tap Ammo.

Or, for all round work, the 175 grn Winchester Silvertip.

Fwiw, DT makes a great hot stepping 40S&W load in the hard cast bullet also, for those that don't have a 10mm.
    But I think everyone should have a 10mm:)
    DefConGun and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    If I ever make it to AK, I would carry my 20oz titanium 41 snubby loaded with Federal 250 gr cast cores as a BUG to my 338 bolt gun. My 4" 500 is pretty heavy, but I would be sure to carry it in Jurassic Park. If moose and black bear are all you're worried about, the 10mm powerhouse will do the job. Tangentially, Cor Bon 185gr DPX 45 auto +P puts out 450 ft/lbs out of my 3" Kimber, and I feel well enough gunned in MN woods with it. I think DPX out of your Springer would be fine. There was even a case of survival against an AK brownie with a mag full of FMJ's out of an ACP. Personally, instead of trying to make swiss cheese out of a big bear with a hi-cap 10, I would try to center a shot for a high thoracic or low cervical hit with a heavy, penetrating bullet. Bears are unbelievably quick, and some AK PH's recommend keeping your rifle in hand, chamber loaded, and off safe. If you're set on getting the high pressure 10mm, Colt Delta and Kimber 1911's have more metal around the cartridge than the Glocks. You can't have too many acres or guns to keep 'em off.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The Swedes (Norweigans perhaps?) carry the Glock in 10mm for Polar bear protection. I'd much rather something in the rifle calibers for that, but they feel it's up to the task.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You cannot go wrong with the 10mm. In it's full house loads it is in the lower end 41 mag power range.
    Now I have a dumb question. How can I tell if its a "full house load"? I'm not sure what this means. Its referring to how much powder the cartridge contains? I hope this isn't out of the scope of the thread but at the same time, it does have to do with the effectiveness of the 10mm. Thanks for the bullet recommendations, BTW. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Now I have a dumb question. How can I tell if its a "full house load"? I'm not sure what this means. Its referring to how much powder the cartridge contains? I hope this isn't out of the scope of the thread but at the same time, it does have to do with the effectiveness of the 10mm. Thanks for the bullet recommendations, BTW. ;-)
    Most manafactuers water the 10mm down to "stiff" 40 pressures. Companies like Double Tap ( which was the first company, and sole reason it was started) to provide and keep alive the 10mm and provide fans of the cartridge with ammo that is loaded like it should be. Winchester also loads their Silver tip up to rightous velocities.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Call me old fashioned, but my woods gun is a .44 Magnum. I've been waaaaay too close to 300+ pound bears in my neck of the woods (golf course, leaving work at night, one about a mile from my house). I wouldn't feel undergunned at all with a 10mm, and my first love is revolvers anyway. Perhaps it was just an excuse to buy a big revolver. It shoots like a dream.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links