Glock 21 or RIA 1911

This is a discussion on Glock 21 or RIA 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a buddy that is looking for a somewhat inexpensive .45 for range use. He owns a few 9mms (I believe a G19 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 21 or RIA 1911

Glock 21 or RIA 1911

I've got a buddy that is looking for a somewhat inexpensive .45 for range use. He owns a few 9mms (I believe a G19 and a few other larger frame 9s). He asked me what I would pick and I can't really give him a straight answer. Both guns have their pros and cons. I don't own a G21, but I do own one 45 Glock, a G30 and enjoy it. It's a no frills pistol that's great for CC. I also own a RIA GI 1911 that I enjoy shooting. I've never had any problems with it, even though it's a low end 1911.

Based on what he wants the gun for, both pistols would be okay. If this were going to be his only gun, I would suggest the Glock, but since he has other guns for carry, the 1911 would make a nice range toy.

It sounds like he would be picking up a used G21 or a new RIA 1911 based on his price range.

What would you guys tell him?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Based on what he wants the gun for, both pistols would be okay. If this were going to be his only gun, I would suggest the Glock, but since he has other guns for carry, the 1911 would make a nice range toy.
    That's what I would tell him.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

GLOCK!!!!!

It kind of puts me in an awkward situation because I've been thinking about selling my 1911 for another Glock. I never carry the 1911 and I figure it's better to train with what I carry. I still don't know if I can live without a 1911 though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    It kind of puts me in an awkward situation because I've been thinking about selling my 1911 for another Glock. I never carry the 1911 and I figure it's better to train with what I carry. I still don't know if I can live without a 1911 though.
    Do what you need to yourself, but don't let that influence what you think is a good suggestion. I don't think you can go wrong suggesting the RIA 1911 as a range toy since he already has Glocks for carrying. 1911s are fun and since this year is the 100th anniversary of that platform, I'm going to suggest the RIA 1911.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

there should be no question, glock is the way to go,
    the 1911's are nice toys, fun to tinker with and take to the range
    the glock is a modern dependable workhorse of a weapon than is fine on the range and good for carrying as an EDC

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For range use, I'd opt for the 1911. It has far more potential for upgrades, customizing, etc. than a Glock. Glocks are Glocks, and there's not a lot you can do about it. For defensive use, I'd opt for the G21 solely for the extra rounds, or a G30 with a G21 mag on standby!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Of the choices, Glock-21...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If the friend is going to do any work with the gun other than range work, i.e., HD, I would go with the G21. For range work only, if he is willing to spend a bit more $$$, he can sure tweak the heck out of a 1911. I have and do carry a 1911, but the G21 is simply more reliable and easier to fix if something goes wrong.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'd say get a M&P45 instead of a Glock, but the 1911 would be fun.

GM
    I should get a RIA; or even better, a Springfield GI. BTW, 1911s are better, a Springfield – GI

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    there should be no question, glock is the way to go,
    the 1911's are nice toys, fun to tinker with and take to the range
    the glock is a modern dependable workhorse of a weapon than is fine on the range and good for carrying as an EDC
    So you mean that 1911s are not dependable, unmodern toys that are not good for carrying, while the Glock is modern workhorse of a weapon good for carrying… huh … I guess I have leaned something new today
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    So you mean that 1911s are not dependable unmodern toys that are not good for carrying, while the Glock is modern workhorse of a weapon good for carrying… huh … I guess I have leaned something new today
    Any gun can fail. I had a few issues with my Glocks during the first 100 rounds, but after that, no problems at all. Coincidentally, I've never had a problem with my RIA 1911 and it's got about 2000rnd through it using many different magazines.

I must admit though, I've seen more problems at the range with 1911s than any other gun. There are so many different factors (mags, mods done to the gun, ammo, etc.)

I'd trust my life to either gun as long as they are reliable. However, in the event of a SHTF scenario, I'm going for the Glock before any other handgun for the simplicity factor.

If he wants a range gun, buy the 1911. If he wants a gun he can rely on when the chips are down, get the Glock 21.
    ksblazer likes this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Simple process here...

Does he have a 1911?

-No- He needs one.

-Yes- He needs another.

If he already has Glocks, why does he need another? EVERY shooting/gun enthusiast should have a 1911. A Colt would be best, but any 1911 is a good addition to the family.

--Same process and ideology to be applied to wheel guns.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Glocks are great carry guns because they are light, reliable and very maintenance free. They are also a dime-a-dozen.
    A 1911 on the other hand, and in particular a Colt, is a gun to be prized. It is to the professional what the Katana is to the warriors of feudal Japan.

They both have their place. But for accuracy over capacity, I will take the 1911.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links