.25 acp personal thoughts - Page 2

.25 acp personal thoughts

This is a discussion on .25 acp personal thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 Well, I guess we need clarification from dripster. After all, he said he wanted it as a pocket gun. My first ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .25 acp personal thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, I guess we need clarification from dripster. After all, he said he wanted it as a pocket gun. My first assumption would be that he would want to carry it in his pocket.

I am known for being rather lenient on firearms and calibers around here, when it comes to self-defense. But I have heard nothing but bad stories from these guns. As has been said before about the .22 and the .25, the caliber is less than desirable but is an order of magnitude better than being unarmed.

My take, if you plan to use for self defense, is to buy at least 100 rounds of ammo and take it to the range. If it shoots 100% of those rounds without a failure, then I suppose it would be an acceptable self defense gun. A friend of mine has one of these guns (which he does not use for self defense) and he did mention it does not like certain ammo. I suppose that could be said of many guns, but the point is you might need to try several kinds.
    Yes, you are correct. I had to re-read the OP. It would have to earn my trust on the range before I would conceder it for protection. Even then, from reading here and other places, its just too small of a package to defend my body/life with.

There are occasional good examples of these guns, but the majority aren't quality enough for serious use in SD. I doubt I would trust carry with a loaded chamber. I was able to make one fire (primed case test) by hitting it to simulate a drop.

I don't have a problem necessarily with the .25 as a BUG, I have carried a Beretta (oh, Gottabekiddin, your pic is a Minx, the .22 version is .22short not LR). My wife carries a Seecamp .25 as a BUG. Winchester XP is ok for up close use if it comes to the BUG.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Regardless of pros and cons regarding the pistol or the round, be sure to check the laws of your state since many don't allow CC under .32 caliber.
    Really? First time I ever heard that. Can you cite any states with that requirement?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Best thread yet on the .25ACP

Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP

bmcgilvray covered it all. Bottom line, I wouldn't trust my life to it.

Yeah. That I feel is contributed to the fact that the ammo when staged in the magazine isn't on a upward slant, but flat across, so the bullet has to be stripped straight across then guide itself upward.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Regardless of pros and cons regarding the pistol or the round, be sure to check the laws of your state since many don't allow CC under .32 caliber.
    I am an LEO I am not restricted to caliber size.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    There are occasional good examples of these guns, but the majority aren't quality enough for serious use in SD. I doubt I would trust carry with a loaded chamber. I was able to make one fire (primed case test) by hitting it to simulate a drop.

I don't have a problem necessarily with the .25 as a BUG, I have carried a Beretta (oh, Gottabekiddin, your pic is a Minx, the .22 version is .22short not LR). My wife carries a Seecamp .25 as a BUG. Winchester XP is ok for up close use if it comes to the BUG.
    Oops, yep you're right, my bad. I guess I'm just used to adding the LR; that and I really didn't know there even was a .22 short.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I wouldn't beat up on Dripster too bad. After all, its a neat little gun and he only paid $110 on impulse. Its just not a SD gun.
    It DOES make a cute (but expensive) paperweight.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

No way, no how.....to quote the wizard of Oz.

I rarely carry anything less than 9mm when off duty. I do have an LCP, but resort to that only when I am in shorts and a tshirt and not going too far from h ome.

I certainly would never arm my wife with one, just MHO.

with a lot of pocket guns in 380acp that are available in the market now, there's no reason to go with a weaker .25 acp for pocket carry.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Administrator
    Go Here. It's the "Firearms With Pot Metal Slides" Center Of The Universe.

bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: Index

No offense but, IMO I would be better armed with a multi-ammo pea shooter. No malfunctions if you use the plastic straw and it shoots; peas, spit wads and needles with a small piece of cotton on the tail. The wife doesn't like being the target though
    Spit Wad Gun.gif

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Go Here. It's the "Firearms With Pot Metal Slides" Center Of The Universe.

bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: Index
    Unbelievable! They have a forum for such?!
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Alright guys I should have better explained myself. This gun would be BUG.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I really can't say what's on my mind about the gun and the caliber without risking an infraction.
    What was it P.T. Barnum is supposed to have said? "There's a sucker born every second". Sorry, but IMO you were taken. Jennings Bryco give the "Saturday Night Special" a bad name.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links