.25 acp personal thoughts - Page 4

.25 acp personal thoughts

This is a discussion on .25 acp personal thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I good S&W snub nose .38 Airweight (i.e the 442) makes a great pocket gun or BUG. If that's not to your liking, there are ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .25 acp personal thoughts

I good S&W snub nose .38 Airweight (i.e the 442) makes a great pocket gun or BUG. If that's not to your liking, there are plenty of small .380s (Ruger LCP) that fit the bill pretty well. There are also a lot of small thin 9mm on the market now. I have a little semi-auto my Dad gave me that was made in the mid 50s and shoots .22 shorts. It's a jam-o-matic and the round would just make someone mad. I take it out for poops and giggles sometimes, but other than that it is an old nostalgic paperweight. Have fun plinking with it since ammo is cheap, use it to practice technique, trigger control, rapid fire drills, etc. but I would invest in a good j-frame for pocket and back-up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Jennings, is known for "failures" ... good luck.

* Many people were killed by people with .25 cal, they were all shot in the head at close close range. Body shots won't do it.

* If you go to the bug, you do so because you are in trouble and immediate need... get a gun to match the job.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I once shot a stinking old three legged tomcat, right between the eyes...the 25acp fmj ended up under the skin, high on the front shoulder, after bouncing off the cats skull and traveling under the skin down its neck...good luck with your purchase...like glockman10 said...

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Remember what the the old border patrolman gunfighter Charlie Askins said about the .25 acp.

"If I was ever shot by a .25 acp AND WAS TO HEAR OF IT it,why I'd hunt down that #&* of a *!%* and kill him dead!"

BTW you might ought to price .25 acp ammo,not so cheap.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I really can't say what's on my mind about the gun and the caliber without risking an infraction.

^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^

But I'll go out on a limb and just say......."Paperweight"
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Administrator
    Well, I don't wish any "bad gun ju-ju" on any of our forum members.
    At todays prices he only paid the price of a good dinner out + a couple of mixed drinks for it.

In order to make the best out of it.

> Use a high performance low friction lube on the rails. Anything like Jardines Extreme.
    > Make certain that the underside edge of the magazine feed lips are really smooth with no burs.
    > Keep it clean & keep the pocket lint out of it.
    Trooperc7 likes this.

I think .25 acp ammo is absurdly expensive for what you're getting. I have a .25, it's a neat little gun, but I just don't buy ammo for it. I wish it were a .22 so I could play around with it at the range, but 9mm is usually cheaper than .25, when I can find it at all.

So, by my understanding of reading through this whole thread.

The OP is a LEO, who bought a raven .25 for $110, to use as a BUG.

Here are my thoughts, if a LEO needs a BUG, he really needs it. I've seen a few articles where it was mentioned cops used BUGs to kill BG's that were going for control of their duty weapon, or preventing them from drawing their duty weapon. So, personally, if I were an LEO, I would want the highest quality, most reliable BUG I could find, because in that profession, you are staking your life on it. My life is worth a lot more than $110 to me. Heck, for $200 I'd get a NAA .22, and prefer that to a .25. For about $250, a Kel-tec P3at. Or for $300ish a used S&W, or possibly new taurus j-frame.

Just my thoughts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd ruther carry a can of pepper spray and a baseball bat for SD. Or maybe you can sharpen the barrel to a point and use it as a knife

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    So, by my understanding of reading through this whole thread.

The OP is a LEO, who bought a raven .25 for $110, to use as a BUG.

Here are my thoughts, if a LEO needs a BUG, he really needs it. I've seen a few articles where it was mentioned cops used BUGs to kill BG's that were going for control of their duty weapon, or preventing them from drawing their duty weapon. So, personally, if I were an LEO, I would want the highest quality, most reliable BUG I could find, because in that profession, you are staking your life on it. My life is worth a lot more than $110 to me. Heck, for $200 I'd get a NAA .22, and prefer that to a .25. For about $250, a Kel-tec P3at. Or for $300ish a used S&W, or possibly new taurus j-frame.

Just my thoughts.
    Just about sums it up I think.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    I am an LEO I am not restricted to caliber size.
    PM me with your department, and I will call your agency and give them hell for even allowing you to think about considering anything less than .380 for a backup gun.

If your life is only worth $110, though, then disregard.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Administrator
    Absolutely I do not think that it's a suitable BUG either in caliber or firearm quality but, I don't think he should cut it in half with a chop saw either.

He could have a bit of fun with it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The only experience I have with a Bryco is from a firiend of mine. His wife inherited it from her father, it was still in the original box, with a hand written note: "DO NOT FIRE!" I took a look at it and there was a spare striker spring and spring retainer with it in the box. So I disassembled and cleaned it, reassembled it with the new parts. The slide looked fine (other than being CAST POT METAL) and I then decided to pull the grips. There were cracks in the CAST POT METAL frame, spiderwebbing from the mag release pivot pin.

The only way I'd use one for SD would be to pistol whip someone. Even then I'd be worried about cutting myself on the shards.

If you choose to fire it PLEASE WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!, and heavy gloves if possible.

I do a LOT of crazy and unsafe crap but you couldn't PAY ME to shoot a Bryco.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^

But I'll go out on a limb and just say......."Paperweight"

or a really, really, really small boat anchor.
    Had the exact same model years ago made Sundance Industries.....didn't know any better, but I will always remember what the old guy working the Texas pawn shop told me when I bought it. "Son, that little pea shooter will just get you killed". Had no idea what he meant until I took it to the range.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    The quality of that gun is rather suspect. If it's your BUG then the situation has gotten so intense that you're down to your last option, it had better be good enough to save your butt.

I see no reason at all for a .22 or .25 when there are .32 and .380 autos in the same size range.
    I have a bodyguard 380 as well for a BUG, I guess then I'll use the 25 for target practice. No biggie.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links