.25 acp personal thoughts - Page 5

.25 acp personal thoughts

This is a discussion on .25 acp personal thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 PM me with your department, and I will call your agency and give them hell for even allowing you to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .25 acp personal thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    PM me with your department, and I will call your agency and give them hell for even allowing you to think about considering anything less than .380 for a backup gun.

If your life is only worth $110, though, then disregard.

Yeah that really helps the thread. Stop posting useless directions.. I don't mind getting a little flamed but you are way beyond.
    I am not planning on qualifying with this gun for off duty use as my job won't allow calibers less than 32. This is for my personal carry; I am just not indemnified if a shooting occurs(God Forbid) but I still have Pistol permits for that.
    One more step and it's on!

RKM
    I'd carry at least .380 or .38special. Though very few people will be willing to take a shot from a .25acp

Understanding that this quote may have been offered already and is of questionable utility to the OPs question I am compelled to provide the following quotes from Jeff Cooper.

We hear of an unfortunate woman who, during an nighttime asthma attack, confused the small handgun she kept under her pillow with an asthma inhaler and proceeded to relieve her symptoms. It was not a fatal mistake, partly because she used a 25 ACP, which everyone knows is not sufficient to clear sinuses.

As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you.

Glad to be less than helpful. And no, I would not volunteer to be a test subject on the effectiveness of the .25 acp. Many people have been shot and killed with less. I would not select a Bryco/Jennings or a .25ACP when there are slightly larger, slightly more expensive options that are chambered in 9mm or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Oh yeah I still have the .25 Beretta. It resides in my golf bag but given the choice I would most likely use my 56 degree sand wedge for any serious SD work.
    Good luck with that...There are very few of us that can hit anything with a sand wedge. :)
    Old School and mr surveyor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Yeah that really helps the thread. Stop posting useless directions.. I don't mind getting a little flamed but you are way beyond.
    I am not planning on qualifying with this gun for off duty use as my job won't allow calibers less than 32. This is for my personal carry; I am just not indemnified if a shooting occurs(God Forbid) but I still have Pistol permits for that.
    Not flaming at all. I'm retired LE, and have never seen an agency that would authorize anything less than .380 ACP. Why would you even think of carrying something off duty that you weren't qualified with? I don't know what state you work in, but I think that it's generally folly to think that you can separate your work life from your personal life if you are involved in an off-duty shooting. If you ever shoot anyone, EVER, you will be an off duty cop involved in a shooting. Why you would want to be personally sued for an off-duty shooting, instead of acting under the authority of your department with a qualified weapon, is beyond me.

You sound like a young cop. Sometimes young cops need brutal honesty from those who have been around the block. I'm not being a smart-aleck when I made the comment about your life not being worth $110. Think about it. Departments will only authorize certain calibers for a reason. You are a cop 24/7, whether you like it or not. Are you going to refuse to act in a life or death situation off duty because all you've got is a pot-metal .25 ACP in your pocket? Carry an effective weapon in a service caliber and stop thinking that a junk gun in an extremely marginal caliber is suitable for defensive duty when your life or the lives of loved ones or innocent third parties may depend on you one day.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    We hear of an unfortunate woman who, during an nighttime asthma attack, confused the small handgun she kept under her pillow with an asthma inhaler and proceeded to relieve her symptoms. It was not a fatal mistake, partly because she used a 25 ACP, which everyone knows is not sufficient to clear sinuses.
    OMG this is funny!!!

The wiki page for that manufacturer is pretty useful:

Jimenez Arms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bryco was sued successfully for a negligent discharge because the gun had a design flaw, so instead of fixing it, the company covered it up. It is now made in NV because they couldn't get their guns to pass CA safety standards so they moved. I think the only real use for this gun is for some cheap, fun plinking action.

Carry a j frame and be done with this thread
    gottabkiddin and Yankeejib like this.

Like the above said... carry a J Frame. ..Seriously though, I get a lot of people who come to the store, and look for a less recoil gun for their Wife, SO, etc. I then inform them they can, for a bit more, purchase a good quality used 38 Spl revolver. If they persist on the "size thing" of it (the gun) being too large, I will then attempt to turn them to a 38 Derringer type of decent quality.
    I DO understand that everybody has to start somewhere, but I point out the 22LR has a lot more effect than the 25 ACP, not to mention it 's a LOT cheaper to shoot. Lots of good quality small frame guns out there. I would suggeat to the OP, that he might want to attempt to return the gun, especially if he has a warranty with it, and move to a better quality handgun. Maybe a beretta, NAA, Smith, Ruger, or even a Charter Arms or Rossi 38 Spl might be a better choice. Just my opinion here and never bashing the OP for his choice, as I know money is always tight, but gotta look at the big picture.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

"...I point out the 22LR has a lot more effect than the 25 ACP..."

How?

A lot more effect? Any more effect?

Assuming pistols with barrels of similar length, no more effect is more to the point.

Both are equal-opportunity weenie cartridges when fired from pistols with stubs for barrels. Better than nothing at all but not by much.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Point in question made! The .25 will be used strictly for target. Ill stay with my Glock 23 or Ruger SP101 or my Glock 19 and finally my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 for other lawful purposes.
    One more step and it's on!

Cool

Stay safe dripster.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

For fun, all bets are off. I can have a good time shooting my .25s.

I really would be leery of that particular brand of .25 though.
    Old School likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

A couple of years ago, my buddy was sent to the store by his wife to buy feminine products for that time of the month. He lived in a very bad part of town so he always carried a Bryco in his middle console of his car. He went to the store and returned to his house and parked his car in front of his house over night. The next morning, he remembered that he left the bag of "products" in his car over night along with his Bryco. Turns out someone had broken into his car and stole the tampons but left the Bryco on the front seat in plain view!! True story.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

The amount of FAIL posted by you guys is making my head spin. While I wouldn't trust a Jennings to do anything but jam or break, I can['t help bit laugh at everyone who posted how ineffective, weak, or utterly stupid the .25ACP caliber is. Which one of you is volunteering to get shot by one? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I thought not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links