.25 acp personal thoughts - Page 6

.25 acp personal thoughts

This is a discussion on .25 acp personal thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty In Texas you can't qualify for a CHL with anything less than 32 acp,you can carry anything you want as long ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .25 acp personal thoughts

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Texas you can't qualify for a CHL with anything less than 32 acp,you can carry anything you want as long as you qualify with a semi-auto
    I thought it was .380 acp?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    The amount of FAIL posted by you guys is making my head spin. While I wouldn't trust a Jennings to do anything but jam or break, I can['t help bit laugh at everyone who posted how ineffective, weak, or utterly stupid the .25ACP caliber is. Which one of you is volunteering to get shot by one? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I thought not.

The "are-you-willing-to-be-shot-with-it" argument, while popular on gun forums, is lame. Thoughtful folks know better.

Would you volunteer your loved one to have to end a determined assailant's violent attack while armed only with a pistol chambered for .25 ACP?

I thought not.
    remington79 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I thought it was .380 acp?
    It was for a long time, and still is for Instructor qualification. See the current version of Section 411.188 of the Texas Government Code.

my friend has one and they are ok. my sorry it was a waste of money; for another hundred dollars you could have got a used gun of better quality

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The "are-you-willing-to-be-shot-with-it" argument, while popular on gun forums, is lame. Thoughtful folks know better.

Would you volunteer your loved one to have to end a determined assailant's violent attack while armed only with a pistol chambered for .25 ACP?

I thought not.
    if the choice was a .25 or nothing I'd pick the .25 every time
    mlr1m likes this.

I thought not.
    Does this mean you are volunteering?

I thought not.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Does this mean you are volunteering?

I thought not.
    Is this a snappy comeback?

I thought not.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

A .25 beats begging and praying. Does it beat a good knife or a good impact weapon, wielded skillfully? Maybe, maybe not. I'm old, beat up, arthritic and much slower than I once was, so I'd probably pick a .25 over a knife or stick, though I'm reasonably good with the latter two. However, it has been many years since I've relied on anything less than a .380 or .38 Special for primary carry. With the tiny size and light weight of current offerings in .32 ACP and above, it's hard to justify reliance on a .25 or .22.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Maybe..............better than a punch in the nose.............just maybe.

Is this a snappy comeback?

I thought not.
    Good one. Going to answer my question?

I thought not.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Yep, the answer is easy. No, I will not be stupid enough stand in front of firearms of any kind in order to be deliberately shot. Not even my ancient Daisy Model 36 BB gun.

The question that deserves consideration is the one presented earlier. Would a reasonable person deliberately arm a loved one with a .25 ACP pistol if they knew the loved one was required to depend on it for self-protection from a violent assault that could not be avoided?

No equivocating about how the .25 ACP pistol might be "all that's available." No "deep concealment" scenarios.

Would it be a first choice for anyone interested in this thread?

Given cartridge choices, would a reasonable person defend the .25 ACP and its performance as his first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Yeah that really helps the thread. Stop posting useless directions.. I don't mind getting a little flamed but you are way beyond.
    Sounds like rock solid advice to me. Why carry something ridiculously small when you can carry an effective caliber?
    These threads always play out the same. The mousegunner gets their feelings hurt. Nobody is against you. Just trying to help.
    When somebody points out my flawed logic, I usually take two or five steps back and re-assess how I arrived at where I am.
    Many times I see my error. When you ask for advice, you have to be coachable.

I have a Phoenix Raven 25 . Had it for a long time remember buying it new for 70 dollars at a Gun show. Cash burning a hole in the pocket some of you know how that is.
    Honestly it is about worthless. I guess if you stuck it in a BG's gut and emptied it you could run away.
    LCP 380 is as small as I would want to go.

Best advice if you are planning in using it for a pocket gun is to take a trip back top the pawn shop and get what you can for it. Because they are just about worthless. Get a Ruger LCP .380 or equivalent. They are very small and very reliable. A lot of the smaller calibers, 25's and 32's, have a lot of problems with chambering rounds. I've even had one of those cheap 25's crack the frame just in front of the grips. Manufacturer warranted it and it went straight to the pawn shop. Been trying to sell my like new Taurus 32 with a Crimson Trace for almost a year now. I will not carry it at all. I did keep a little Jennings .22. It is a nice and cheap shooting rig and have had little problems with it. But then it's only for plinking.

As has been said before carrying anything is better than nothing at all... But I'll never trust my life to that cheap crap again.

Main carry is a Glock 27 with either a Smith & Wesson 642 or the Rugar LCP

PF9 & P32.jpgI once owned a Beretta 950 Jetfire 25acp... I liked the size, but I didn't like that it was SA. It was, however, a decent gun as far as function and quality are concerned. I now have a Kel Tec P32 which is smaller and lighter than the Beretta 25acp, and I am much more comfortable that it is DAO! I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 32acp.
    I also have a rule that I follow regarding self-defense guns: DAO or DA/SA ONLY!!!!! I also am remembering that my agency didn't allow anything smaller than a 380, too, but that was 30 years ago... I do remember a few Deputies carrying the then-new AMT Back-Up 380. I carried my S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard in a homemade belly band under my left armpit, as my BUG...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links