What is a BUG?

This is a discussion on What is a BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I realize it stands for B ack U p G un, but I see the word used often in two different contexts.. or at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What is a BUG?

What is a BUG?

OK, I realize it stands for Back Up Gun, but I see the word used often in two different contexts.. or at least I think I do. That is why I wanted to clarify.

Would you consider the word BUG to always indicate a second gun being carried along with a primary gun?

Or would you consider it to mean that when you can't carry your primary for whatever reason, you grab the BUG instead?

Or can it mean either one of these things?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Some people carry back up guns. Some people carry new york re-loads. Some people carry a second firearm for their off hand.

Cool

Maybe.

If both weapons are of close to equal power then you could consider the one carried on the off side as your BUG.

Yes but now your BUG is your primary if it is your only sidearm.

Possibly. It depends on your personal definition.

Hope this helps to confuse the issue even more.

OS
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

JD
    Administrator
    For SD my BUG is my EDC carried IWB in my VMII. It's full of JHPs which are HSTs that I'll use when the SHTF or WROL or for HD...

Most of the time, when I carry two pistols, I'm highly confused which one is my primary. The Glock 23 on my hip should be, but in a close quarters immediate threat situation, the .357 pocket snubbie probably gets the first call.

VIP Member
    Like Yankeejib, my BUG becomes my primary, given the situation provides more proficient access to it.

...Unless the situation quickly changes and my primary (which was my BUG), needs to come into play first, then my primary is my primary again.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I consider a BUG to be a secondary that you fall back on to use if something happens and you are no longer able to use your primary. If you're primary runs out of ammo, jams or is dropped and can't be retrieved, then you go for the BUG.

Some people say that you use a handgun long enough to buy you time so that you can retrieve your rifle. In this sense, I'd consider the handgun to be the primary and the rifle to be the BUG since your handgun is your first option that you are relying upon. With this being said, I'd say that although traditionally most people are referring to a secondary handgun that they carry along with their primary to be their BUG, it doesn't necessarily have to be a handgun. IMO, however, BUG carries along with it the connotation in the traditional sense of being a smaller, more concealable and probably lesser caliber second-handgun.

Ive always considered it a second weapon you carry..that said even when I was on the Police Dept i didnt nor have I ever carried a "BUG" just dont believe in that.

BUG is a Back Up Gun to your Primary Gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Like Yankeejib, my BUG becomes my primary, given the situation provides more proficient access to it.

...Unless the situation quickly changes and my primary (which was my BUG), needs to come into play first, then my primary is my primary again.

^^^^Who's on First?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...

Costello: Look, you gotta outfield?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Some people carry back up guns. Some people carry new york re-loads. Some people carry a second firearm for their off hand.
    New York re-load?
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

By definition it's a secondary weapon to your primary weapon.

Any other use would be an alternate primary.

new York reload----instead of reloading your primary weapon, you ditch it for a fully loaded BUG

btw Ive tried to shoot 2 pistols alternatively with both hands and only succeeded in hitting the dirt and the sky. The movies make it look easy.

Like the guy shooting off his left side with a .45 in his left hand and another guy off to his right with a matching gun. Cant be done

New York reload... NYPD, back when issued revolvers, often carried a second revolver... no need to reload (with speedloader or speed strips) the first, Just use the New York reload.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    New York re-load?
    = a second gun. Quicker than actually reloading the empty one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links