.32 s&w long & ,32 acp - Page 2

.32 s&w long & ,32 acp

This is a discussion on .32 s&w long & ,32 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe the S&W Model 632-2 Pro Series will fit the bill. http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ro-2-a-10.html Originally Posted by chas1 Guys, here's the question: I am past the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: .32 s&w long & ,32 acp

Take a look at my last post on 11/1/11 on the S&W 632-2 at the S&W Forum

I believe the S&W Model 632-2 Pro Series will fit the bill.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ro-2-a-10.html

Quote Originally Posted by chas1 View Post
    Guys, here's the question: I am past the age of sixty and my hands can no longer take the recoil from my 9mm, .38 or .380 I had to past them down to my sons. I moved on to .32's since that's all my hands can stand, my sons are acting like i lost my mind settling for the lighter caliber but what other choice do i have? I am presently rotating my s&w 31-1 and an feg ap-66 as carry guns. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fiddlers; November 6th, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Correct website

There's not a damned thing wrong with the .32 Long, .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal Magnum. Accurate shot placement with a nice and spicy .32 Long will screw up someone's day. My father ended the career of a Japanese sniper that figured he'd killed him. At 3 feet, he put 5 98-grain .32 Long wadcutters from an Italian snub-nosed, revolver in the sniper's chest. It kinda 'ruined his entire afternoon.'

Scott
    WebleyHunter likes this.

I have hand issues too. I shoot a 32 acp mid sized gun very well [ 3" barrel] . Its the smallest gun I can shoot without pain. I cant hold on to a sub compact well enough to shoot well at all. But the mid sized guns work well for me. 32 Auto was the standard police issue in Europe till well after WWII. So don't worry much what others say, just stick to what you know you can shoot well. DR

The .32acp is probably quite adequate for your protection.

I'm in my 70's, and usually carry a KEL-TEC P-32. It meets my needs.

gold40

Pocket holster for S&W model 32-1

I need a pocket holster for S&W 31-1 (.32 cal long revolver). I like the DeSantis Nemises, but they will not even recommend a size for similar-sized pistol. Any help is appreciated.

A 32 in your pocket beats a 44 mag in your safe
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

I had a Rossi pocket revolver. Had a 3" barrel and was chambered in .32 s&w long. It had a very smooth, light trigger in dubble action, and a super crisp light single action trigger. And recoil was almost non existent. Was pretty darn accurate too. I always carried the hottest wadcutter ammo I could find for it. Never felt under gunned. So that said, I would look into a .32 s&w long revolver over a .32acp. But then I love revolvers, and trust there dependability over an auto. So I will always opt for a revolver over an auto if given the choice.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

I know this is an older post, I know .32acp is fairly common but what about .32 long or .32H&R mag?

If recoil is the concern, you may be able to shoot the new Critical Defense Lite 38 special 90 grain load.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_wi View Post
    If recoil is the concern, you may be able to shoot the new Critical Defense Lite 38 special 90 grain load.
    I would not recommended that lite Hornady stuff. All testing I have seen shows it does not expand and does not penetrate from a snub nose. Although the 158gr lswc in standard pressure is a very soft shooting round in .38 Special, especially if its an all steel snub. But this post isn't about ammo for a .38 Special. Its about choosing between .32acp and .32 s&w long. Both those two are practicly the same except that one is a Revolver cartridge, the other an auto. The revolver allows the use of better bullet design without wory of jamming. The auto allows slightly better capacity. And in my opinion the revolver cartridge in this case has the least amount of recoil, with heavier ammo. So to me the .32 s&w long is the win win round. But that's just my 2 cents.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

I think you would be better off with the 38 Spl....with standard pressure loads.. or even with LWC ammo...LWC may not expand ,but the flat blunt frontal area will cause more damage even at modest velocity ..than the 32 H&R , 32 Long or the 32 ACP....

My Lite recoil handgun .. is a Charter 357 mag pug with a 2.25 inch ported barrel ..loaded with 148gr LWC....This is a load /gun combo that my wife uses at the range..and that I leave in the top drawer in the sock drawer....(we have no children under 35 in our house except on holidays..then my bedroom is locked...)
    I also carry this ammo at times in my 38spl 6 shot Armscor (Colt knock-off)
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

I'm a fan of resurrecting old threads, because they vividly demonstrate the enduring nature of many SD/HD gun questions. At various times in our lives, for various reasons, many of us wind up facing the problems that thousands of others faced before us. I seem to remember an old Skeeter Skelton gunzine article about the .32-20--long before the popularity of CAS--in which he averred that many regular folks "back in the day" found the .32-20 much easier to handle than .44-40, .45 LC, etc.

So, the internal struggle is not new: "do I get the bigger caliber because it's the more powerful, or a smaller caliber because it's more controllable for me (my wife, my friend)?" And the answer always remains just as elusive, because the stakes & risks never change.

Thirty years ago, as a young buck & Army officer, my dilemma was whether I wanted booming power or hi-volume firepower. Lighter caliber, smaller capacity, traditional technology guns were fun to fool around with, but "beneath my notice" as serious defensive weapons. Now in my mid-50's, with a troublesome back, less adaptable vision, ravaged hearing, shaky hands, and inexplicable random pains in my fingers and hands (arthritis), the allure of carying full-sized guns with booming power has begun to fade!

The OP asked about .32 Auto vs. .32 revolvers, and I think most of the relevant issues were highlighted by others. Buffalo Bore now offers some .32 SWL ammo that's a cut above the older designs, and Wolff spring-paks put a lightened DA pull within easy reach. MidwayUSA has a good video on how to turn your revolver's grooved trigger into a smooth-faced trigger that's easy on the fingers in DA shooting sessions. I tried these things 6-8 years ago on behalf of my wife and daughters, with excellent results BTW, and in a few more years I may be using those techniques to help ME out.

Put me on the side that recommends lead bullet .32 revolver loads over anything available in .32 Auto. BB's 100g hardcast wadcutter at 1000 fps or 115g FN at 900 are nothing to sneeze at. If you need lower power, a variety of other loads give you some options. Anyone choosing a .32 Auto is likely IMO to have to learn more about which ammo it feeds, how to clear jams, etc. A few years ago I experimented with a Tomcat, and found out to my shock that Beretta did NOT recommend it for use with anything stronger than the sedate Silvertip. Don't know if that's still the case. But if I had a .32 mousegun these days, I'd use solid bullets as hot as the gun and I could handle: BB, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi. If I had a .32 Auto of full size, such as the 1910/22 Browning I used to own, I'd feel good loading it with BB; otherwise, any FMJ with a flat nose. If it were a carry gun, not just HD, I'd try some modern JHP's in the gun.

If you can, line up a row of about 6 milk jugs full of water and shoot the different loads through them. The .32 solids will pass through 4-6 jugs, and probably no JHP will get beyong jug #3. See how roughly they seem to handle jug #1-2. At that point, you'll have a pretty good idea of how solids and JHP's compare, so then you can pick your poison.
    Ricker and AmmoFan01 like this.

RevolverGuy, I've owned and carried a 3" Rossi 32 long like you described off and on for over 40 years.It may not be as powerful as some of my other handguns and I own many it is still one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevolverGuy View Post
    I had a Rossi pocket revolver. Had a 3" barrel and was chambered in .32 s&w long. It had a very smooth, light trigger in dubble action, and a super crisp light single action trigger. And recoil was almost non existent. Was pretty darn accurate too. I always carried the hottest wadcutter ammo I could find for it. Never felt under gunned. So that said, I would look into a .32 s&w long revolver over a .32acp. But then I love revolvers, and trust there dependability over an auto. So I will always opt for a revolver over an auto if given the choice.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    A S&W J frame in .32 Long is my wife's carry piece. I had it honed out to accept .32 Mag. NICE little revolver ! And wonderfully accurate for a snubbie.

I own three Beretta Tomcats and they are awesome pistols. I'm over sixty but I do not have any issues yet with shooting 9mm or 40 caliber handguns. The 9mm has always been my choice of caliber even in the 70's but I have no problem carrying the little tomcats in 32, but I use ball ammo for deep penetration. It's not caliber that works,"it's where you shoot and how many times you shoot them there". The Tomcats are good shooting pistols.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links