.32 s&w long & ,32 acp

This is a discussion on .32 s&w long & ,32 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, here's the question: I am past the age of sixty and my hands can no longer take the recoil from my 9mm, .38 or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: .32 s&w long & ,32 acp

.32 s&w long & ,32 acp

Guys, here's the question: I am past the age of sixty and my hands can no longer take the recoil from my 9mm, .38 or .380 I had to past them down to my sons. I moved on to .32's since that's all my hands can stand, my sons are acting like i lost my mind settling for the lighter caliber but what other choice do i have? I am presently rotating my s&w 31-1 and an feg ap-66 as carry guns. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    know the feeling (arthritis...) and besides 32 longs i kept my 351pd and 332.
    advantage of the 332 is it shoots for SD the 32 H&R mags and for practice usues the 32 longs (and shorts)
    and 32 acps. i also like my p32 kel-tec.

point shooting is a big advantage with these little mity-mites. re-loading helps to make all the ammo needed to parctice with.

your sons should know that location trumps caliber. though in time, they will likely undersand.

a gas operated H&K p7 may be ok in your hands; try to find someone's to try
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I can appreciate the use of the .32 if arthritis has reared its ugly head. Under those circumstances I'd prefer that Smith & Wesson Model 31 over a .32 automatic as it would seem to be easier to manipulate. Seems like slide operation would be more of a painful chore. Is that not actually the case with your situation?

I've played with the .32 S&W Long some over the years and wouldn't feel that it was a death sentence to carry a revolver so chambered. If I carried one of mine it would be loaded with lead semi-wadcutter handloads with a near maximum powder charge and perceptions about self defense and handloads be hanged.

I tested some 98 grain lead round nose Aguilla ammunition last year that made 780 fps or so over the chronograph screens. Not flashy but could be effectively applied to get an assailant off of you.

For .32 ACP I'd just carry FMJ roundnose ammunition and leave the super-dooper expanding offerings behind. I'd want penetration more than anything else. I've shot the .32 ACP in penetration tests and the FMJ loads can penetrate surprisingly well. I once shot a discarded steel wheel that was lying in a trash dump and the .32 ACP shot through it. Now, granted, the wheel was off of some foreign make like a Fiat or a Renault most likely but still, that was surprising penetration.

Good luck to you in your .32 endeavors. If you think about it, post some photos of those two handguns you mention. I'd especially enjoy seeing the Smith & Wesson Model 31.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I'm not overly familiar with the two handguns you cited as now carrying, but if the .32 caliber is just right for your hands to practice with then that's what you should go with. As a few other people have mentioned just go FMJ and call it good. A .32 inch hole in you is still a .32 inch hole in you, nuff to ruin anybody's day.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

twc
    I have heard that a metal zipper or leather jacket could stop a 32 acp. Probably internet bs, but I will ask...any truth to that?

I am 63, a retired LEO and have always carried 45s/40s/and 9mms after leaving the USAF where we had 38s. Modern 32ACP ammo has come a long way with ammo like thw WW Silvertip and Hornady's upgrades. I agree with your family on the deminished stopping power-we called under 9mms "Get off me ******!s. The 32 HR Mag is an option. It is loaded with quality JHPs. Explore grip options too. The rubber grips sold by Pacmeyer(SP?) do wonders to ease recoil on all my guns, even the 44 Mags. One of their rubber grips on a gun you feel comfortable with may make a huge difference. Revolver grips also come in many sizes and shapes. Midway USA, Brownell's and Hogue's Grips are great sources for options.
    carverelli likes this.

There are more effective ammo options in .32ACP. The Long only has a wadcutter at target velocities, or handloads which may or may not be possible for you. Larger sized .32ACPs are a common option for people with hand problems. I can't count the number of Beretta Tomcats with Lasergrips I've sold to people with arthritis, tendonitis, etc. Fat, easy to hold on to grips, easy trigger, and a tip barrel is a winning combo. Most people with hand "issues" don't care for the DA trigger of a revolver in my experience.

My preferred loads are Cor Bon, Gold Dot, and the PMC JHP when I can find it, and even a big brass YKK zipper isn't going to stop one from giving someone a boo boo.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My Beretta Tomcat was easy to shoot and, with the tip-up barrel, was kind of neat. The .32acp rounds were no problem whatsoever and the Inox version of the Tomcat was great after the first 50 rds. or so. You might also consider a SP101 (Ruger) in .327 mag. That slug will be too much for you, but if the 28 oz. of the gun doesn't bother you, it also shoots 32 H&R magnum, 32 S&W long and 32 S&W. Some have said it also fires 32acp, but I had a problem with them and don't advise it. Hope this helps.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have an old nickel plated 32 long hand ejector on the I frame. I believe it would be a reasonable choice for someone limited to such for use.

I second bmcgilvray and his load recommendation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have no problem with the idea of any .32 for those that need reduced recoil (my wife being one), but another alternative to look into if money isn't a hard limitation is the FN FiveSeven. It's a bit large for EDC (my opinion), but very low recoil and a large enough platform that restricted grip hands/fingers might be able to handle better than the micro sized frames. If the recoil spring is light enough to rack with limited hand strength, the FiveSeven may be a pretty decent "house gun". Otherwise, I agree with sticking to the fmj in (most) .32 acp handguns, not only for the better penetration, but also to avoid rimlock. Some .32 acp's (Seecamp) are designed around jhp rounds to avoid the potential for rimlock, but not all (KelTec P32) are. If I had the need (and most likely will in a few short years), and the money, I would opt for the LWS32 for the pocket and a .327 mag revolver (and use .32 longs if necessary) for the "big gun". Still might consider the FN for reduced recoil.

surv

Revolvers chambered in the .32 H&R Magnum will also chamber the .32 S&W Long, possibly some of the other shorts .32s as well. S&W made some .32 Mag J-frames within the past 15 years, so if you found one of them you could practice with the Longs and keep it loaded with the Magnums for emergency purposes.

Likewise, the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal will chamber the lesser .32 rounds as well, and if you can handle the weight of this gun, it will soak up recoil for you nicely.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Revolvers chambered in the .32 H&R Magnum will also chamber the .32 S&W Long, possibly some of the other shorts .32s as well. S&W made some .32 Mag J-frames within the past 15 years, so if you found one of them you could practice with the Longs and keep it loaded with the Magnums for emergency purposes.

Likewise, the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal will chamber the lesser .32 rounds as well, and if you can handle the weight of this gun, it will soak up recoil for you nicely.
    I agree, the SP101 is a great gun.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    ditto the SP101...my daily field carry is the SP101 in .357... absolutely love it.

Chas1;

With your condition, is it more difficult to pull through a double-action trigger on a revolver or grasp and pull back a slide on a semi-auto?

I have an I-Frame Smith & Wesson .32 similar to the one Glockman10mm mentions only mine is blued. I also have a Colt Police Positive .32 around here. Both are sturdy little solid-frame revolvers, capable of handling any reasonable handload. The Smith & Wesson, which is known as a Model of 1903, has a superior double-action trigger pull to any J-Frame ever made as well as the Ruger SP 101. Very light and smooth it is, most likely attributable to it's older style flat main spring rather than the coil main spring which was introduced with the J-Frame. Smith & Wesson made a jillion of these little revolvers between 1903 and 1950. One would still be a worthwhile choice for the person interested in dedicated .32 carry even though they are all over 60 years old now. It might be that a I-Frame could have a more manageable DA trigger

The Colt Police Positive is also a nice .32 revolver with a manageable double action trigger and bank-vault-tight lock-up. In 4-inch barrel it could still serve in a pocket with the right holster and would work in both IWB and OWB holster arrangements. Again, a bunch of these were produced up into the 1980s if I remember correctly. The Detective Special, which is only a Police Positive Special with a snub barrel could be had in .32 as well and there "wouldn't be no flies" on a good .32 Detective Special either. The .32 Detective Special is not as common as the .38 caliber models but there are generally a few on GunBroker and other auction sites.

I have heard of late vintage Detective Specials being rechambered to take the .32 H&R Magnum or the .327 Magnum. Not recommending it but with good Colt steel and plenty of it around the chambers of a .32 cylinder, it'd likely make a slick, potent, and elegant way to do .32.

Just ruminating about possibilities.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Guys, Thanks for all your input, I'll keep working on keeping my shots where they need to be and enjoy my .32's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links