Now that I have held it in my hand

This is a discussion on Now that I have held it in my hand within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey ya'll. Ok, I started out this morning with every intent of buying the Glock 23. I went out to the Bass Pro Shop in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I have held it in my hand

Now that I have held it in my hand

Hey ya'll.

Ok, I started out this morning with every intent of buying the Glock 23. I went out to the Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills. Walked up the the counter in the stored, squated down to take a peek at the weapons displayed in the case, and saw the Glock 23 on the far right 2nd shelf from the top. Hmm...the pistol grip looked a bit short for my hand. I got my number from the "pick a number" thingie (69) and waited for assistance. While I waited I looked at some other pistols displayed in the cases and I saw the Sprinfield Armory XD .40S&W. It looked to be about the same size as the Glock however the pistol grip appeared to be a little longer.

Needless to say after handleing each weapon for approximately 10mins each the XD just felt better in my hand. They weighed about the same, or at least what difference there is I could not appreciate. The sight picture on the Glock was a bit nicer what with the little l_l that the front dot sits in. The XD was $26.00 less expensive and has a 2 round greater magazine capacity. For what ever reason I forgot to carry my dd214 with me so I have to go back to the store.

Is there any serious reason, (quality, poor shootability, history of failures) that I should not look at this weapon more seriously?

Thanks again.
    MikeV

2. Remove Ads

Mike-
    I have and love the 23, and have never held/shot an XD. Lots of folks on this forum swear by them, and they can be trusted, so go with the one your gut feeling says is right. They will both do the job very well. Good luck, and report back on choice and range results!

suggest you take a look at the M&P if your looking at the XD, it might trip your fancy also. (from a fromer XD owner)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The xd will have a less robust finish than the glock , if you want to treat your pistol like your lawn mower , well get the glock . If the xd fits you better then get it , and just clean it more often ( a bit of oil wipedown ) . Get what fits you , all of the pistol world is a compromise in one way or anoter lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    One of my shooting buddies has both. I have had the opportunity to fire both weapons. They are both excellent, but I just liked the way that the XD fits compared to the 23. The recoil seemed better in the XD as well.

Another plus is that (for me) the takedown is easier with the XD than with the Glock. Something else to consider is that the front sights are dovetailed on the XD as the ones on the Glock are not. There is no real advantage/disadvantage to either, but you have the opportunity for a wider range of sight options with the XD. It will accept sight groups to fit the SIG as well.

An advantage that the Glock offers is the extensive aftermarket options (but more options are coming available for the XD), and the fact that you can use the 17rd mags from the model 22 (should you ever move out of MD).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

You can not go wrong with the XD. I have three and I've never once felt buyers remorse. The only problem is that I always seem to want another XD...(I think the others are lonely)

Ergonomics

From your posting it sounds like you liked the ergonomics (grip feel, etc.) of the XD better than the Glock. I am not surprised, in that ergonomics is probably the Achilles heel of the Glocks, and whoever designed the XD knew that and improved upon it. The Glocks have a somewhat "rectangular" grip (in cross section) that is not as comfortable as a more "oval" grip in cross section. The Glock trigger can also rub uncomfortably on your finger, and the grip to slide angle is a little more than most pistols. Other than that, the Glocks are very good pistols.

But if you are really going to make an informed decision and buy a polymer frame gun that feels best in your hand, you should look at all the alternatives besides just Glock and Springfield XD. I would at least handle:

1. Walther P99
    2. S&W M&P
    3. Beretta PX4
    4. H&K P2000
    5. Sig SP2009

Everybody makes one of these now, and they are all trying hard to improve on the Glock. I don't know which one you will like best, but you should look at them.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I have 2 XD's and havent had a problem with either yet. I love the way they shoot, handle, and there are an ever increasing number of accessories readily available for this hugely popular handgun. If that is what fits you best, then get it and never look back.

I have to admit that I have also owned a couple of Glocks, but I have never been a fan of their ergonomics at all.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; August 13th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Fear No Evil.

I had an XD. Liked it. Would buy another. Ergonomics...good...

In .40S&W I thought the PX4 felt gooooood. It seemed to have much less snap=whip than the XD/Glock platform. Maybe it's the barrel rotating to the left when out of battery?

Have a Glock. Enough written about them everywhere.

Like the P99/SW99 feel...didn't like the M&P trigger.

Hopefully, you can find a range and rent your two or three top choices.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I have an XD and really like it. One thing to keep in mind if you are going to put a lot of rounds down range, very few parts are available for the XD springfield requires return of the gun for almost all parts, even normal wear parts.

Well..... just to throw another one in the mix: take a look at the Steyr MA1. I have 2 XD's and I love them but I have started just recently the paperwork for the Steyr (California 10 day wait) as it feels even better in my hand then the XD!

Getting back to the XD though they are great guns. Reliable and they shoot where you point them (mine shoots better then I do)

Certainly the XD is a viable competitor to the Glock. I 've got a shooting buddy that has three XDs and loves them, and they have been perfectly reliable.

If you start to think about Berettas or other choices, be sure to note that you may be getting into the safety/decocker world and leaving the utter simplicity of the Glocks and XDs.

Oh, I almost forgot; don't make the sights a big factor in your decision--there are plenty of choices for easy and fairly inexpensive replacement later, after you've logged some trigger time with your gun of choice.

Down to the final choice, I'd always recommend a Glock--you can't argue with performance and reliability, and the success of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    You can not go wrong with the XD. I have three and I've never once felt buyers remorse. The only problem is that I always seem to want another XD...(I think the others are lonely)

I'm with Packerfan XD. I own 5 XD's and they dominate my range time. I also have a HK P2000, and it is a phenomenal, though expensive alternative. There is only one handgun that exists that could threaten my love of XD's, and that is the Sig P229R DAK. It is very high on my to buy list.

Oh, and Packer, I hope you do get another XD! (because you want it)

I'll chime in here too.
    I used to own a Glock. Now I own an XD. The grip feels better in my hand, much better. It points better. They do not blow up like Glocks have been known to do. (search the web for the Glock KaBoom! and you will see what I mean) The XD feels more "solid" in my hand than a Glock does. And, I like the grip safety.

I myself would not buy a Glock but that is just me. I know Glock makes a good gun. There are millions and millions of them in use. But, for me, the XD is a much better gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Oh...and the Springfield warranty is "return the weapon to us next-day air and we'll see if the part(s) will be replaced under warranty or not. If so, we'll refund the shipping...if not you pay for replacement of the part(s) and shipping both ways.)

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links