Bersa .380, Sig P232 or 9mm?

This is a discussion on Bersa .380, Sig P232 or 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for something small, but not too small for my wife that she'll be able to shoot comfortably at the range and carry from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa .380, Sig P232 or 9mm?

Bersa .380, Sig P232 or 9mm?

I'm looking for something small, but not too small for my wife that she'll be able to shoot comfortably at the range and carry from time to time. Any thoughts on the Bersa .380 Thunder vs. the Sig P232 or any similar sized 9mm? She's a non-gunny so I'll be buying it and then lovingly presenting it to her. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sacralage !!! your some kinda heritac to even mention bersa and sig in the same post . seriously , we need a bit more help from you to help you .. what can you afford , what is her additude ( other than " non_gunny" ) ect .. i understand the love involved bud , but really the post does not have near enough info , has she eaver even shot any handgun ? for instance .. please flesh it out and we will be glad to give you conflicting advise till the cows come home LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

She's shot before, but could take it or leave it. She understands the RKBA and all, but it isn't one if her issues. She's got some slightly sheeple-ish tendencies, but is vastly improved over past years (thanks to me) especially since moving out of New Jersey. Price isn't an object. I'm not much of a Sig fan, but I've always liked the P232. The Bersa seems like a potential winner for reasons other than price, but the "best" thing in that size in .380 or 9mm would be prefered. I'd rather have something with an exposed hammer just because I think that's a good way to go for understanding everything that's going on (for a newer shooter). I guess the .380 Beretta might also be something to look at, maybe even a 9mm Cougar. The Sig P239 is nice, but seems very top heavy and not the most ergonomic. There's always the CZ 75 Compact, too.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok if we remove cost , and an active oppisition by her from the table , well lets just think and discuss a bit then lol .

How about the umm what is it ... 239?? anyway the compact single stack sig .. or one of the kahr line , or tho i dont own nor have i shot one the rorgabah or how eaver you speel that pricy little sub 9 . My little bride carrys an original detoinics .45 as a ccw . and a browning hp as a service sized gun . Yes with the gals size of the pistol seems to be a real issue for them to even consider it for ccw .. howeaver nowdays size of the pistol does not mean a mouse ctg. I suggest you find a range with a good selection of rentals , or shoot with friends trying things untill you can grade sort 3 to 5 pistols for her , then take her to shoot them ... she will choose what she likes .. you just pay for it .. now that is lovingly presented .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    You know my thoughts so far Cory - hope some more input in the thread will help things along tho
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Shot a friends Kahr PM9, what an awesome handgun, just point and shot. A little too pricey for my budget though. My wife has the .380 Thunder and loves it, easy to shot, easy to carry.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

There's another current post here that's discussing the Bersa Ultra Compact 9... check it out. If she can handle the T-380, she should have no problem using the UC-9. My wife shoots both and loves them.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

The Sig

You say that price is no object and ask about the Sig P232 and the corresponding Bersa. If you want the highest quality of these two for your wife, I'd go with the Sig. And the Sig is pretty compact and lightweight if you go with the aluminum frame version, coming in at 17.6 ounces with magazine inserted. It will hold 7 + 1 rounds and can be concealed with ease.

I'd get the one with the stainless slide and dark frame simply because it is a little more attractive, which might appeal to your wife:

I have a sig 239 and a Bersa 380 Thunder. I've fired something over 400 rnds in the Bersa, with absolutely no stoppages whatsoever. Currently it's loaded with Cor-bon 95s I think. They hit very hard for the caliber.

I'm wearing the Bersa now, since it's my around the house piece. A clip holster or even a pocket holster is all you need to easily carry and conceal it. When I leave the house, I go with the Sig 239, a 1911, or a .357 snubbie depending on how I'm dressed/where I'm going. The sig does not conceal as easily as the bersa, but compared to full sized guns, it's much better.

I know little about the sig 232, and the picture doesn't give a size perspective but IF it's as small and light as the Bersa, and IF it's reliable, and last, BIGGEST if, she can shoot a LIGHTWEIGHT 9mm with good, reliable self defense ammo, I'd go with the Sig 232 over the bersa. The 239 is a sweet piece, but it is not as slim/compact as the bersa.

I've handled a Bersa Thunder 380 and it seemed like a fine weapon. The saftey was a little stiff. But for $180 it seems like a great gun. My uncle carries one and loves it. I'm actually trying to get my mother to buy one for her first handgun.

But either the Sig 232 and the 239, which you didn't ask about, are in a completely different ball park. The 232 is definatly smaller than the 239. My uncle has both and I've spent some range time with them. They are both 1st class weapons. Your wife will probably like the 232 better due to size, weight and looks. The two-tone is a great looking weapon. I'll take a Sig over any other hangun.

Also remember that the Sigs don't have a manual safety but the Bersa does.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Now before anyone says anything I AM A SIG MAN. However, after reading Ayoob's book on SIGs I would not buy the P-232. He gives very high marks on most of the SIGs but explicitly states that the 232 is his least favorite SIG pistol. According to Ayoob, these pistols are very prone to jamming. If you buy one, know that you are going to have to clean it religiously.

EDIT: More food for thought!
    To quote Massad Ayoob from The Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer: A Complete Look at Sig-Sauer Pistols "Just as I've made it clear that I'm biased toward the P220 .45, my favorite SIG, and toward the P226, my close second favorite, it's only fair to disclose that the P230 and P232 are my least favorite SIGs."

Now part of Ayoob's bias stems from the fact that he believes and I quote directly from the book, "Friends don't let friends carry mouse calibers." I'm not turning this into a caliber war discussion. I personally would carry a .380.

As far a reliability here is Ayoob's comment: "My other concern with the SIG .380 is that it doesn't quite live up to the reliability standards of its larger siblings in SIG-Sauer family." Ayoob goes on to say "Tightly fitted guns, these .380s have a tendency to choke on dirt." Now I don't want you believe they are all crap because Ayoob does find some great characteristics in these 380s as well. However as most of us know Ayoob is one of the best and most knowledgeable self defense and gun writers out there. I would take his opinion seriously.

My .02 opinion, go with the Bersa, or if you can, go with the P239.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; August 13th, 2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Thanks for the help. Didn't make the move yet, but leaning towards the Beretta Cheetah. That could change so any input on that would be most welcome. Kinda looks nice, though.

Has your wife given you input on what she like and wants to carry? My wife doesnt carry but I know a sure fire way of making her not carry would be for me to buy brand X gun and hand it to her and say "This is the perfect gun for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    However as most of us know Ayoob is one of the best and most knowledgeable self defense and gun writers out there. I would take his opinion seriously.
    He's also the only person I've ever heard of who had a Steyr Tactical "stringing shots". Maybe he got one that slipped through the factory without getting torqued down, but they tell you about that in the owners' manual. Methinks Steyr's importer forgot to buy somebody his doughnut, to go with his eval write-up......

Seriously, the 232 is not significantly smaller that many compact 9mms, at this point, so unless the wife is particularly recoil sensitive, the step up to 9mm makes more sense. The 239 can be had with a "short" trigger, if length of pull is a problem.

I haven't handled the new Berettas, but the Big Blue B has always seemed bulky, to me. I do know they make a single-stack 92 (92FS- maybe?) that is obtainable, but rarely seen on a display.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Those 232's are dead on acurate, too....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links