Springfield EMP vs Colt New Agent

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP vs Colt New Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I called my local FFL guy to inquire about a Springfield Armory EMP in .40 cal. For the past 6 month or so it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield EMP vs Colt New Agent

Springfield EMP vs Colt New Agent

Today I called my local FFL guy to inquire about a Springfield Armory EMP in .40 cal. For the past 6 month or so it seems like everyime I get ready to purchase another gun something comes up. If finally looks like after Christmas I'll be ready. I had decided on a 1911 style micro-pistol and the EMP seemed to fit the bill. He gave me his price and then told me he had a Colt New Agent. I went and saw it and man, what a gun!!! It was everyting I was looking for. The only thing I could not wrap my mind around the fact that it has no sight. The channel down the center of the gun (don't know what it's called) that functioins as the sight is just not cutting it. I understand that not having a normal sight means that there is nothing to catch onto clothing withn drawing, but I'm not convinced. I'm no professional, and I have to ask you guys that know better, am I making too big a deal of this no sight thing??
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if your making a big deal about it or not because only you can make that call. I wouldn't really care about sights on a tiny gun because its going to be a up close and personal gun but everyone is going to tell you different so it's your choice....I wouldn't buy a gun with an American name like Springfield that's made in Brazil or Croatia ....just my. 02

The foreign vs domestic is not the argument I'm looking for. Just looking for some input from folks who have perhaps used the type of sight on the New Agent (since I only have experience with traditional sights). Perhaps someone can share their experience.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Yeah, I don't know if I could get past the sight thing either. It may be true that if you find yourself in a SD situation with it, you'll point and shoot and not even use the sights but I like having options. I'd rather have the sights and not need them than to not have them and need them. One thing about the EMP, it does have really nice sights on it. I haven't shot the Colt so I can't give you a comparison but I have shot the EMP and it is a nice gun; I don't think you can go wrong with it.

JD
    Administrator
    I have this hankering to get a New Agent and mount a big fiber optic rod in that channel....

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I wouldn't buy a gun with an American name like Springfield that's made in Brazil or Croatia ....just my. 02
    Springfield's XD series are made in Croatia and SOME 1911s are made in Brazil. My Springer 1911-A1 and TRP are both American-made, as is the EMP.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Springfield's XD series are made in Croatia and SOME 1911s are made in Brazil. My Springer 1911-A1 and TRP are both American-made, as is the EMP.

From Brazilian forgings.

Ahhhhh hahhahahaha!

Yep, and a number of Colt parts for ARs (and possibly some of their handguns) are from off-shore sources as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JD
    Administrator
    Don't get me wrong, I like Springfield's products and all but they are what they are and while that's OK with some it's not OK with others and that's OK too.

JD, I gotcha.

There is so much 'globalization' going on these days, some good, some bad, that there are relatively few manufactured products which are 100% from a single country any more. I have to chuckle when I hear people say they want to buy American when it comes to cars, when a Toyota Camry and a Honda Accord have more American-sourced parts in them than a Ford F-150.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Don't think that they make a Colt New Agent in .40, and the only reason I bring that up is that you mentioned you were looking for an EMP in .40. I believe they only make it (New Agent) in .45 acp and 9mm. I have an older .45 acp version:

For me, the gutter sight was not something difficult to get used to.

I think that they now offer the New Agent in a few different configs, and I am not sure what they all are, but I think they offer the .45 acp with the gutter sights, but they also offer some TALO editions that have XS Nite Sights in 9mm, and .45 acp. If I had the choice now....I would personally go for one of the TALO editions with the XS Sights.....but that's just me.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    JD, I gotcha.

There is so much 'globalization' going on these days, some good, some bad, that there are relatively few manufactured products which are 100% from a single country any more. I have to chuckle when I hear people say they want to buy American when it comes to cars, when a Toyota Camry and a Honda Accord have more American-sourced parts in them than a Ford F-150.
    So true. I was just reading today about how alot of the high-end speaker manufacturers are having their cabinets made in China. B&W, traditionally known for being made in the UK, are having the cabinets for their 600 & 800 series constructed in China. I'm not sure about B&W but some other manufacturers are having other components, and not just cabinets, manufactured in China as well. In a similar fashion, I also read about how some Marshall (guitar amp manufacturer) cabinets are coming with Chinese made Celestian speakers. Some people claim they can't tell a difference between the Chinese made Celestian when comparing it to the old UK made version.

With globalization evolving the way it is, you are really painting yourself into a corner if you insist on buying "American". I know I've been talking about UK products but American products are no different. I've said it on here before (and I don't know if its still true today) but Harley Davidson outsourced their front forks from Showa (a subsidiary of Honda). Internet rumor has it that all Victories have Showa (Japanese) forks and Brembo brakes (Italian). The electronics (Delco) on some if not all of their bikes are made in Japan also.

There are tons of examples of American manufacturers outsourcing from foreign companies. Chevrolet had to shut production down because they couldn't get parts from Japan - when they (Japan) under-went the March 11th earthquake and tsunami. GM closing pickup plant for lack of Japanese parts

I know they don't make the new agent in a .40, but I'm fine with moving up to a .45 if i choose this weapon. I wanted to stay with a .40 because my Glock is a .40, but that is a small matter.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

I have shot the Colt New Agent 9mm. Despite the trench, I shot it quite well. Gotta realize the this gun was designed for defensive purposes(up close and personal), not shooting at a distance at the range. Thought it was a nice gun, but was concerned about scratching the blue/black coating on it. Ended up with a Kimber UC II which is uncoated. Wanted the Springer Loaded(.45 cal) but could not find any. The Kimber shoots very well.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links