obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise. - Page 2

obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

This is a discussion on obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot I would look for something in .22wmr Smith&Wesson M351 22Magnum...7 shots This is what I would recommend as well, the 22 ...

View Poll Results: Caliber?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 22 long

7 14.00%
  • 25acp

1 2.00%
  • 32acp

2 4.00%
  • 380acp

40 80.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would look for something in .22wmr

Smith&Wesson M351 22Magnum...7 shots
    This is what I would recommend as well, the 22 wmr has almost the same stopping power as a 380.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by professir View Post
    Greetings fellow shooters! I am professir. 56 year old open heart surgery survivor. (barely) and here in the Dairy state, we now get to carry a hand gun concealed. Thus my question.
    I will spare you the LONG story, but the nut shell is this. During my heart surgery, they dislocated my ulnar nerve (from neck to wrist, the crazy bone), crushed 2 vertebra and screwed up my wrist. All on the right side, my strong side. I had carpel tunnel rebuild, neck fusion and elbow surgery, and the result is I have a 5# weight limit on my strong side. Any "accidents" or abuse of my right arm/wrist will result in it becoming unusable for anything. SO, here is my question......I want to get a carry gun, but recoil will be a very serious consideration. In the past, I have owned, shot and loved everything from 22 long to 45 acp, including a 357 Desert Eagle. But, no longer.
    So what gun/caliber would you suggest for daily carry that would be "safe" for me to shoot and afford me more then a rock in defense? I THINK I could go as large as a 380, but its been many years since I last shot one. Please spare me the "I would rather go unarmed then carry a mouse gun!", I really have no ego tied up into this, just a working weapon. I am of the mind, ANY gun in hand, shot well is better then nothing. Thanks!
    Sounds like you're a Determined guy.
    Kudos for working through all that

If possible I agree on trying to learn to shoot lefty.
    Self Defense shooting for Non Leo rarely involves lots of rounds or long distances, if you can hit a paper plate a 7 yards you're good.

If you must shoot righty you need to Minimize recoil impulse - Heavy gun (relatively ) and Medium Load is the way to go.

A glock 19 using a mild factory 115gr load will actually hurt you LESS than a Kel-tec .380

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

If possible I agree on trying to learn to shoot lefty.
    That could be an option for him. Speaking for myself though I would rather take my chances with a sub-standard caliber than to count on shooting left handed effectively.

Thank you guys for the food for thought. Of course I will consider ALL viable options, but the left hand shooting would be a last resort, as I know if SHTF and I drop something, my right hand will pick it up. I had not considered the additional weight to deaden some recoil, nor have I considered the porting. I once had a Ruger SP101 in 2" barrel in 357, it was like a baseball bat to the front every shot. Brutal to handle! Tried one with the porting, and it was substantially better. I DO wonder about the folks that "would never recommend anything less then 9mm or 38+P". Evidently they have not experienced too many physical limitations in life yet. ONE slip, or "stupid" move on my part and I will lose use of my right arm. I am as good as I am going to get, but, hear me clearly, that is NOT a complaint, I AM ALIVE!

Off to explore some of the suggestions here...thank you again!

professir: Welcome and stay well! My Ruger SP101 in .327 mag. was ported by Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs in Frankfort, Ky., and is a dream to shoot. And if you shoot the 32 H&R magnum it's like shooting a .22! And , when shooting the .327 from an unported gun, it's not much different to me than a .357; but that's just MHO. Good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Given the difficulties you describe, I would go with a weak side carry.
    This might be the best answer if you can train yourself to a degree of confidence.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I would make myself learn to shoot with my off hand and carry at least a .38 or 9mm. You can do it and you'll get to shoot a lot while you're learning, that will be challenging and fun.

Jim

This thread does give some food for thought. I never, ever shoot left-handed except for a few times in the past, just as a stunt, and once when sitting in on a training course for a law enforcement agency. I never really bought into weak side training. Even gripping a handgun with my left hand, as if to shoot it, feels completely foreign.

I'd be far less concerned with being faced with having to continue a gun fight with a right side injury than I would the potential for a debilitating condition later on in life. It is apparent that beginning some basic weak side practice now could prepare one for any physical limitations that could arise later.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    This thread does give some food for thought. I never, ever shoot left-handed except for a few times in the past, just as a stunt, and once when sitting in on a training course for a law enforcement agency. I never really bought into weak side training. Even gripping a handgun with my left hand, as if to shoot it, feels completely foreign.

I'd be far less concerned with being faced with having to continue a gun fight with a right side injury than I would the potential for a debilitating condition later on in life. It is apparent that beginning some basic weak side practice now could prepare one for any physical limitations that could arise later.
    I find the challenge interesting; it does come up sometime in IDPA matches.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    I am only slightly slower with a weak-side pull, and every bit as accurate and controlled. The necessity of weak-side training was something drilled into me as a child, and something I have just taken for granted ever since.

VIP Member
    Honestly, the folks who are telling you 9mm are making a suggestion from the stand point of being healthy. I don't know how severe your condition is, and only you know that. The issue I see with 9mm is that you still have to train with that caliber to be proficient and I have no idea of what the wear and tear would be to your hand. I kind of like the Kel-tec PMR30 for your symptoms. 30 rounds of .22 wmr would be a day ruiner for anyone.

Kel Tec, Keltec, Kel Tec 22, Keltec PMR-30, Keltec PMR-30 Pistol, Kel Tec PMR-30 Pistol, Kel Tec PMR-30, PMR-30, PMR-30 Pistol, PMR-30 22 Mag, PMR-30 22 Magnum, Keltec PMR30
    oneshot likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

You may think I am crazy, but I practice one handed with strong and weak hand every time I go shooting. You know what they say "If you shoot with your weak hand your gun will feel like someone else is shooting it" LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Upon reading of your unfortunate injury I immediately thought of the Beretta 84/85 as other poster's have mentioned. Being a heavy gun for .380 caliber recoil would be mild, but the biggest advantage to the 84/85 series gun would be the tilt to load barrel. This feature allows you to release and tilt the barrel up to manually load a round into the chamber rather than cycling the slide and chambering a round from the magazine. I fear the strength it takes to cycle the action would be your biggest hindrance and discomfort.

Another possible option would be the new J frame Smith & Wesson in .327 mag which could also chamber the milder .32's if recoil was too much from the .327 magnum. A Ruger in SP101 in .327 would be nice as well and give you a little more gun weight to soak up recoil over the Smith. I think you should try and rent a couple of different platforms in small calibers to see which balances best between your comfort and effect on target for self defense. I hope you find something that works and prayer's for a speedy recovery and lessened pain.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Go with weak side carry and then get yourself a Taurus Judge, that way you won't actually need to aim at all! You just shoot in the general direction of the bad guy and the ever powerful .410 death ray will just disintegrate him! Right ?
    Last edited by IAm_Not_Lost; November 5th, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Check out the Keltec PMR30. Very light, speer has defense ammo that penetrates 12" and it carries 30 rounds of 22 mag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links