obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

This is a discussion on obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; professir If you have big hands, stay away from the Sig P232 380. I own one and don't shoot with it because the slide will ...

View Poll Results: Caliber?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 22 long

7 14.00%
  • 25acp

1 2.00%
  • 32acp

2 4.00%
  • 380acp

40 80.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

professir

If you have big hands, stay away from the Sig P232 380. I own one and don't shoot with it because the slide will cut across (bleed) your hand. Considering your medical conditions, I don't think you want to add one more problem. If you have normal hands, no problem it's a great gun. I bought it for my wife, but after a few visits to the range, she was done with it. Could'nt handle the recoil. I'm jealous I live in South Florida and I'm a big Packers fan. Never seen them in person. Coach Lombardi a person I greatly admired. Go Packers 16-0 this year.

2. Remove Ads

@Bolocanolo, come visit! There is NO place on earth like this. I can stand from my desk as I type this and see Lambeau field! I have bigger hands, so that one is off the list then. Kind of looks like 22mag might be the bee's knees!

Given your limitations, I'm inclined to suggest a revolver. In .22 LR, the recoil would be minimal. If you get a dud (rimfire ammo is more prone to that than centerfire ammo), you just pull the trigger again. Also, you don't need to worry about having enough strength to work a slide. And, in .22, you can get 8-10 shots, depending on the model.

Some revolvers have cylinders that can be swapped out, allowing you to use .22 LR or .22 Mag. If you can handle the .22 Mag, that would be a bit better.

Only you can answer this question for yourself. Hope the suggestions help. Good luck.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Welcome from GA

P238

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I think you should carry the largest caliber you can still shoot well. I think you should try a mag or cylinder of a few different calibers like you mentioned above to see IF you can handle it. Maybe a weakside carry would be your best option?
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Lambeau Field!! Wow that would be the icing on the cake. Would love to visit one day, I can never get a guarantee that tickect's would be available. They never come to town to play. Glad I could help by giving you personal expirience with the Sig P232 380. I also have big hands but for a few years I carried a Model 60 S&W 5 shot revolver, which allowed me to load .38 Cal and 357. A little kick but manageable. I now carry a S&W Model 457 .45 acp compact 7+1. If you feel comfortable with the 22mag go for it. It's preferable to have something on you, than nothing at all. I hope your recuperation continues in the right direction. Go Pack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Professor, welcome, and congratulations on exercising your recently-restored civil rights.

As bmcgilvray suggested, a "full-size" .380 might be the ticket for you. The lesser calibers are, quite simply, lesser... but anything going 'bang' is better than a police whistle. Brian's suggestion of a Beretta 84 is good, and you might look into a Sig 232 as well. It's a traditional DA/SA with a large enough grip to get your full hand on the gun. Its size and weight (18 ounces) put it just out of the true "pocket carry" category, but it is pretty flat so concealing it in a belt holster shouldn't pose a big problem.

If you feel you have to go smaller, the .25 auto is a wimp but its centerfire ignition is more reliable than any rimfire. The .32 auto is a healthy step up from the .25 in power, but still well short of the .380. I have a Kel-Tec .32 which I'll carry when I absolutely can't carry anything bigger. It's an ugly little bugger and definitely not an heirloom, but it goes bang every time and there's no question that it's flat and light. It carries easily in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    I was thinking the same thing, but with my KT P-3AT (I have both the .32 and the .380).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm going to suggest a j frame revolver in 38 special. Steel frame not a light weight gun. You can carry it with 38 wadcutters. Search out a light target shooting load. Recoil will be very light. Then if you can stand more recoil you can always upgrade in power!

Also practice shooting weak hand. Not gonna be fun but I think it may be a good option.

Good luck on your quest.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Given your limitations, I'm inclined to suggest a revolver. In .22 LR, the recoil would be minimal. If you get a dud (rimfire ammo is more prone to that than centerfire ammo), you just pull the trigger again. Also, you don't need to worry about having enough strength to work a slide. And, in .22, you can get 8-10 shots, depending on the model.

Some revolvers have cylinders that can be swapped out, allowing you to use .22 LR or .22 Mag. If you can handle the .22 Mag, that would be a bit better.

Only you can answer this question for yourself. Hope the suggestions help. Good luck.
    I agree with 10thmtn 100% on this. I would also stay with a double action revolver so you do not have to cock the hammer for each shot. Just pull the trigger.

The S&W 351PD is a seven shot, double action, snub nose revolver in .22 mag. It weighs 10.8 ounces.

The S&W 317 is an eight shot, double action, snub nose revolver in .22 LR which also weighs 10.8 ounces.

The S&W 63 is an eight shot .22 LR with a 3" barrel.

I would be very careful moving into the realm of center fire calibers in tiny mouse guns as even the .380 Ruger LCP and KelTec P3AT have a fairly violent recoil for someone who is disabled. You do not want to risk losing total use of your arm permanently. If you do go with something in .380 I would go with a larger frame gun like the Walther PK380 or maybe a Bersa Thunder which would help control that recoil much more than the mouse guns.

I would also think the KelTec PMR 30 would be just dandy with thirty rounds of .22 mag. The only thing is that unlike a revolver, a failure to ignite rimfire round would require you to jack the slide to feed a new round. But thirty rounds of .22 mag in a full size pistol would likely be very easy to control the recoil.

The other thing I would strongly consider is to learn to shoot a 9mm with your non-injured although non-dominant side. I spend a small portion of every range session shooting with my non-dominant side and have decent combat accuracy. No doubt if I practiced exclusively, I could become as proficient as my dominant side. Massad Ayoob has always encouraged being proficient with both sides in case your dominant hand became injured. In fact, he used to shoot competitively in a couple matches each year using only his non-dominant side. He also made it a point to shoot without his prescription glasses in case he ever lost his glasses in a fight, which I have also begun doing.

The more you work at it, you can overcome most obstacles and disabilities.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I do hope you'll stick around and become an avid fan of our little corner of the internet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Given the difficulties you describe, I would go with a weak side carry.
    Welcome to the forum.

Most of us practice both strong and weak (off hand) shooting.

As Mike 1956 has said my suggestion would also be learning to shoot left handed.

It will not be that difficult for you with proper instruction and practice.

Best of luck.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by professir View Post
    Greetings fellow shooters! I am professir. 56 year old open heart surgery survivor. (barely) and here in the Dairy state, we now get to carry a hand gun concealed. Thus my question.

I will spare you the LONG story, but the nut shell is this. During my heart surgery, they dislocated my ulnar nerve (from neck to wrist, the crazy bone), crushed 2 vertebra and screwed up my wrist. All on the right side, my strong side. I had carpel tunnel rebuild, neck fusion and elbow surgery, and the result is I have a 5# weight limit on my strong side. Any "accidents" or abuse of my right arm/wrist will result in it becoming unusable for anything. SO, here is my question......I want to get a carry gun, but recoil will be a very serious consideration. In the past, I have owned, shot and loved everything from 22 long to 45 acp, including a 357 Desert Eagle. But, no longer.

So what gun/caliber would you suggest for daily carry that would be "safe" for me to shoot and afford me more then a rock in defense? I THINK I could go as large as a 380, but its been many years since I last shot one. Please spare me the "I would rather go unarmed then carry a mouse gun!", I really have no ego tied up into this, just a working weapon. I am of the mind, ANY gun in hand, shot well is better then nothing. Thanks!
    You could look at and research the FN Five-sevenN Pistol which shoots 5.7x28mm round - close to .22 in recoil and good for SD also, very good according to some though there are differences of opinion about that.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...003&gid=FNG001

Also, I ccw a 9mm Beretta 92fs at times, very soft shooting, little recoil and a 9mm. Big gun and big hilt but I and many feel it fits great in the hand, very reliable, very accurate and very easy to field-strip and clean - for US Military it is their service pistol - M9 - same gun. Search it in Google, much information around.

Here's mine, in Inox. They also come in blue-black:

I would encourage everyone to practice shooting with their non-dominant hand. Hand injuries are very common in a gun fight. It also helps with clearing corners, which come in both the left and right varieties.

The OP may wish to start with a mild recoiling gun for the dominant side, and use that to practice non-dominant side shooting. As proficiency is gained, the option for carrying something more powerful for the non-dominant side opens up.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links