obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

This is a discussion on obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings fellow shooters! I am professir. 56 year old open heart surgery survivor. (barely) and here in the Dairy state, we now get to carry ...

View Poll Results: Caliber?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 22 long

7 14.00%
  • 25acp

1 2.00%
  • 32acp

2 4.00%
  • 380acp

40 80.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

obgitory introduction, and a request for some advise.

Greetings fellow shooters! I am professir. 56 year old open heart surgery survivor. (barely) and here in the Dairy state, we now get to carry a hand gun concealed. Thus my question.

I will spare you the LONG story, but the nut shell is this. During my heart surgery, they dislocated my ulnar nerve (from neck to wrist, the crazy bone), crushed 2 vertebra and screwed up my wrist. All on the right side, my strong side. I had carpel tunnel rebuild, neck fusion and elbow surgery, and the result is I have a 5# weight limit on my strong side. Any "accidents" or abuse of my right arm/wrist will result in it becoming unusable for anything. SO, here is my question......I want to get a carry gun, but recoil will be a very serious consideration. In the past, I have owned, shot and loved everything from 22 long to 45 acp, including a 357 Desert Eagle. But, no longer.

So what gun/caliber would you suggest for daily carry that would be "safe" for me to shoot and afford me more then a rock in defense? I THINK I could go as large as a 380, but its been many years since I last shot one. Please spare me the "I would rather go unarmed then carry a mouse gun!", I really have no ego tied up into this, just a working weapon. I am of the mind, ANY gun in hand, shot well is better then nothing. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Given the difficulties you describe, I would go with a weak side carry.

Perhaps a larger .380 with a bit of weight to it and a fuller grip frame would work well for you. The Beretta Model 84 would be a worthwhile pistol to consider. The very similar Browning BDA would be another great choice. Take a look at one of these, try to handle it, operate it's slide, and, ideally, take it on a "test drive" if possible. The recoil flea-weight, shrunken .32s and .380s can still be somewhat harsh and the larger pistol with a full grip and with some recoil-absorbing weight would be more manageable.

Only an opinion but I'm just not a fan of the .22 Long Rifle, 25 ACP, or .32 ACP for self defense duties.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way! We're glad you're here.
    jem102 and oneshot like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    there are gun shops around that have indoor ranges and rent guns to try. I'd look to find a place like that and see what best works for you. My opinion is what I carry. a full sized 5" 45 ACP. longer barrel heavier pistols really do reduce recoil. there are also 1911 like models full sized in 40mm and 9mm as well. Best bet tho is to test for yourself.

small light guns are easier to carry and conceal but what recoil is not taken up by the weight of the pistol will be transferred to your hand/arm.
    RiverRat57 likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

The recoil on a 9mm though mild may still be a problem for you due to the medical issues you describe. If you still plan to carry strong side there are some nice 380's that should have mild recoil, Bersa or Sig P232, I think they shoot pretty mild but would you have problems racking the slide? I had a Sig P238 that was really nice, I had no problems at all with the gun, it had extremely light recoil and the slide was easy to pull back, it is pricey, also single action.

If recoil would do you serious harm, then I would go with a .22 carrying CCI MiniMags or Stingers. A little Walther P22 carries 10+1 and would certainly ruin someones day if unloaded rapidly in their direction. I recognize your desire to carry a larger caliber, but with the warnings the docs have given you, I'd be very careful not to do further damage. Yes, I usually recommend nothing less than a 9mm for self defense, but in your case, I definitely understand your situation and agree with your assessment. I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end of 11 40gr screaming little .22 bullets.....and the recoil from a .22 is virtually non existent.

Just be aware that a .380 that weighs less than 20 oz is going to have pretty much the same felt recoil as a 9mm. The straight blow back designs like the Walther PPK and the Bersa Thunder .380 have fairly stiff recoil, while I belive the Walther PK380 is a locked breach design and have heard that it shoots like a pussycat. Have not shot one, so all is heresay. Bersa also makes a really nice little .22 that is a Walther PPK clone and a very good little shooter. I knew a retired Galveston County Texas deputy that carried one as his primary weapon.....couldn't change his mind regarding his caliber selection, and he had no medical issues.

Just a few items to think about, and I agree with all the above posts regarding renting a few guns at a local gun range. This should give you a chance to see how large a caliber you can handle, but don't push it to much. You'll need that arm.

Be careful, and congrats on Wisconsin finally coming around to the real world.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Hi Professir and welcome!

I had shoulder surgery (strong side) a year ago and then they had to re-do it this fall.
    For the last year I have been carrying off-side and practicing weak-handed with my normal EDC (S&W 36 38sp).

Whatever you decide, ANY firearm is better than none. I primarily carry revolvers due to a medical problem that causes a
    limp-wrist condition with my weak hand. Almost all semi-autos are one-shot-wonders for me when used left handed.

Good luck and welcome once again.

Tracy

PS: I have relatives in WI and spent 3 years there while in college. Feel naked every time I go there. Am glad to see you now have the option of carrying if you so desire.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A different opinion on use of the .22 Long Rifle for self defense: The high-velocity solid would offer the best chance to penetrate to the vitals.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Professor, welcome, and congratulations on exercising your recently-restored civil rights.

As bmcgilvray suggested, a "full-size" .380 might be the ticket for you. The lesser calibers are, quite simply, lesser... but anything going 'bang' is better than a police whistle. Brian's suggestion of a Beretta 84 is good, and you might look into a Sig 232 as well. It's a traditional DA/SA with a large enough grip to get your full hand on the gun. Its size and weight (18 ounces) put it just out of the true "pocket carry" category, but it is pretty flat so concealing it in a belt holster shouldn't pose a big problem.

If you feel you have to go smaller, the .25 auto is a wimp but its centerfire ignition is more reliable than any rimfire. The .32 auto is a healthy step up from the .25 in power, but still well short of the .380. I have a Kel-Tec .32 which I'll carry when I absolutely can't carry anything bigger. It's an ugly little bugger and definitely not an heirloom, but it goes bang every time and there's no question that it's flat and light. It carries easily in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome, professir.

I'm glad to hear that your state is finally recognizing your right to carry. Given your medical conditions and my limited experience with .380's, I would recommend the Sig Sauer P238. It has light recoil for a .380 and is a joy to shoot. My wife an I have put 500 rounds through hers without a single problem. If the recoil of a .380 turns out to be more than you can handle, then I'd recommend a .22, possibly a Sig Sauer Mosquito, with the appropriate self defense rounds.

You're correct in your supposition that something is better than nothing.

I will not advise anyone to carry smaller than 9+p or 38+p.

I really like the Sig P6 (P225 or 239) for a 9mm that really minimizes recoil. Love the CZ 2075 Rami BD as well.
    zonker1986 and remington79 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'm surprised that no one here offered up a ported barrel option on the larger calibers. Going to have to shoot hot loads to get full use of it, but that would get you into the 9s ,40s, and 45s with minimal recoil. Likewise with a revolver.

Time to start on your weak/uninjured hand with being your dominant in this regard until you get healed up.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

ht Any "accidents" or abuse of my right arm/wrist will result in it becoming unusable for anything.
    As described in your post recoil is a serious concern. While 22LR is far from optimal for self defense it would satisfy your recoil requirement and allow you to deliver plenty of rounds accurately and quickly. If my physical condition dictated very low recoil I would consider the new Ruger SP101 in .22LR.
    Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5765

VIP Member
    I would look for something in .22wmr

Smith&Wesson M351 22Magnum...7 shots
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Of the calibers you mentioned I'd definitely go with the .380. While the Bersa is a good choice, you might also want to take a look at the CZ83. The grip is going to be wider on it, since it is a double stack, 12 round magazine. But with a smaller caliber you might just want the extra rounds.

CZ-USA -> CZ 83

Another option, if you can find one at a range, or friend with one, is a gun chambered in 9mm Makarov. It falls into the gap between .380 and 9mm parabellum. The CZ82 might work in this caliber.

CZ 82 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other option is one already mentioned. Switch to weak side carry. Granted you will need to learn to shoot again from the off hand, but it is an option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links