.380 auto's.

This is a discussion on .380 auto's. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GreyGhost Once I found the self defense ammo it liked, that's all I shoot out of it. Period! I know a couple ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: .380 auto's.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Once I found the self defense ammo it liked, that's all I shoot out of it. Period!
    I know a couple of people with LCPs and they swear by them. I think they are truly amazing guns. I also totally agree with GreyGhost, find an ammo that you and your gun likes and load nothing but that. I don't believe a gun needs to shoot every ammo on the face of the planet to be a fine CC gun.

Mike

2. Remove Ads

Bersa 380 both of mine run fine I think in the KelTec a lot is limp wrist . Minne has always worked fine 2000+ rounds I let another guy shoot it and it jammed each and every shot. Wasn't pistol I loaded and emptied mag fast as I could was him.
    My PPK/S I always use the hottest 380 I can find Corbon or Buffalo . Europe 380 hotter than American Or use a little lighter recoil spring.
    Bersa works on any ammo I have tried in last 7 yrs.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    Here is my LCP

Attachment 54239

boomer
    Boomer - that looks like a nice compact set up, but with the mag where it is, how do you get a combat grip on the weapon when drawing? Is this a practice issue, or do you have to change the grip once drawn?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I had one of the first S&W Bodyguard 380's and had problems where I had to send it in 3 times. After the 3rd time I asked for a FULL refund and S&W gave me one. I really liked the BG380 so I purchased another one and have not had any problems with this one with over 500 rounds fired. I hope this helps. God Bless

My LCP has over 2000 trouble free rounds thru it! Only .380 I own.

I carry the S&W Bodyguard .380 as my BUG to my Glock 19, and it's been perfectly fine for me. I feed it 95 gr. Winchester PDX1 as it's the deepest penetrating JHP bullet I've seen in testing out of 2" barrels.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

my taurus PT 380 has been flawless.

My first post!!

Before I bought my LCP I bought a Bersa .380. I was working on duty at the time and all firearms had to checked out by the range staff. They didn't have too many good things to say about it but I have had it for over 4 years and it's a fine shooter. I bought the LCP as a replacement carry due to it's smaller frame etc. It too is a great shooter but not as accurate as the Bersa mainly due to the frame size fits my hand better I think.

It's nice to read that many others have bought the Bersa and have liked it too.

Ken

I love my sig 232
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Super J View Post
    I love my sig 232
    Me too!

I am 6'3", and have very big hands. (Had to special-order a tennis racket in high school, since the shop didn't stock one with a big enough grip). I also have liked .380's for 35+ years. My Sig P232 is my all-time favorite .380 out of seven or eight I've had. Not the smallest .380 out there, by a long shot, but a great gun for big hands. Beretta M84 is another good choice for a guy with big hands, but the fat grips make it a little harder to CC. (13+1 is a big plus, though).

My CCW's of choice these days are the CM9 and CW45, but the P232 is still in the rotation, depending on weather, threat level, etc.

Regards,
    Jim

EDITED to ADD: Ooops! I thought I recalled that the OP said he had big hands. Looking back, I see that he didn't. Must've been another thread. - Jim

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    For many factors I think in general terms as handguns get smaller, problems get larger. Miniaturization of mechanicals can at times lead to issue not experienced with full size handguns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Me too!

I am 6'3", and have very big hands. (Had to special-order a tennis racket in high school, since the shop didn't stock one with a big enough grip). I also have liked .380's for 35+ years. My Sig P232 is my all-time favorite .380 out of seven or eight I've had. Not the smallest .380 out there, by a long shot, but a great gun for big hands. Beretta M84 is another good choice for a guy with big hands, but the fat grips make it a little harder to CC. (13+1 is a big plus, though).

My CCW's of choice these days are the CM9 and CW45, but the P232 is still in the rotation, depending on weather, threat level, etc.

Regards,
    Jim

EDITED to ADD: Ooops! I thought I recalled that the OP said he had big hands. Looking back, I see that he didn't. Must've been another thread. - Jim
    Interested thread,

I have gone full circle on these guns many times and usually come back to one of my two Sigs (232 or 230). Never have had good luck with PPK or PPK/s (all the way from 1968 W. German PPK to the latest S&W PPK/s (and about 5 or 6 in between)

Did run into a good deal on a Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm several weeks ago. Now that is a nice gun even though you are not supposed to shoot +P and need to keep an eye on the recoil springs.

So again full circle. If you cannot shoot +P in these little 9mms, you may as well use a rugged .380 and shoot Buffalo Bore hard .380. The ballistics on this is very close to standard velocity 9mm.

Trooper Joe

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Totally agree with your choice of Buffalo Bore and the P232

I keep mine loaded with BB Hardcast, also. The Wallop is impressive!

Haven't had any problems with my Walther PK380 Hornady 90 gr XTP Hollow Point
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Full circle from .380s and other carry guns

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am older than dirt so please take this for what it is worth.

When I was a state detective I carried .380 many times (ie., 1968 PPK made in Germany, 1940s era .32 PPK/the real James Bond gun, stainless 1970s era PPKs from Intrerarms, etc, etc). Retired and still could not walk away from the PPK or PPK/s guns. Had a real bad PPK in 1995 from Interarms, had a worse PPK/s about a year ago from S&W.

In between times, I fell in love with the Sig 230 and 232s since they really work (posted above).

Have a P-32 (that works and it's 6 oz weight is great for dress pants), an LCP because they are sort of becoming classics, an LC9, a Rohrbaugh, a neat Browning BDA, blue, in .380, a Springfield EMP 9mm since I really do love 1911's, and others (since I retired 22 years ago from a state LEA, I still work part time to feed this habit)./

Finally, the other day, out of sheer boredom, I broke down and brought back an old friend to the fold. This great little, inexpensive, well made, S&W 442. It is rated for +P, but I am carrying Hornady Critical Defense non-+P in it.

We were issued S&W "Bodyguard" 5 shot revolvers with special stainless cylinders for backup and off duty. However, with the metallurgy at that time, they would tend to stretch the frame and simply wear out with normal, 4 times a year, qualifying. This new 442, won't have that problem with the Scandium alloy frame.

By the way, even though this is a DAO revolver, it has a great trigger pull (much better than my old Bodyguard).

Thanks for indulging an old Trooper.

Trooper Joe

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links