Just bought a new HK P2000 and have a question...

This is a discussion on Just bought a new HK P2000 and have a question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all! So I got a pretty good deal on an HK P2000 earlier today (unfired, night sights, and everything included for $700 OTD). I ...

Thread: Just bought a new HK P2000 and have a question...

Just bought a new HK P2000 and have a question...

Hey all!

So I got a pretty good deal on an HK P2000 earlier today (unfired, night sights, and everything included for $700 OTD). I have a question though:

-For those who have purchased a new HK, did it require a break in period for it to run everything well? My gun thus far has been somewhat picky, not liking weaker loads but running flawlessly on more powerful loads. I suspect it may be a break in period, but I can't be sure. At least it runs my carry ammo well. Any other experiences?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Hey all!

So I got a pretty good deal on an HK P2000 earlier today (unfired, night sights, and everything included for $700 OTD). I have a question though:

-For those who have purchased a new HK, did it require a break in period for it to run everything well? My gun thus far has been somewhat picky, not liking weaker loads but running flawlessly on more powerful loads. I suspect it may be a break in period, but I can't be sure. At least it runs my carry ammo well. Any other experiences?
    :

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    HK deems there is no break in required in the manual, nor do any of the HK specific forums I'm familiar with discuss any need for break in. All of my HKs have been extremely reliable regardless of ammo brand. Are the weaker loads reloads or factory brands?

GM
    Good deal! Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. While the manufacture may not recommend a break in period, each gun may be a little different. Depening on how tightly it is fitted, you may need to run some rounds through it to wear it in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I bought a USP40 compact earlier this year. Very similar in function, some difference in controls and removable backstrap.

I shoot mine with Winchester Ranger SXT 165 grain ammo and my own reloads designed to replicate the SXT load - perhaps a touch softer. Mine works just fine. Most semi-auto pistols require a load close to the factory loading in order to operate. One can change springs to shoot softer (a dedicated target pistol shooting wadcutter level loads) or harder loads. The springs for most factory guns are intended to be used with factory loaded, i.e., standard pressure, loads.

And the pistol cannot get anything but 'broken in' as you shoot it. Except for accumulations of lube, dirt, belly-button lint and the occasional galling of mating surfaces, no mechanical device gets 'tighter' with use.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Did you field strip the gun and clean and lube it prior to firing,could be a really stiff recoil spring and after a few hundred rounds may shoot the lighter loads ok
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Three H&Ks. Break in time nonexistent. Take out of box, clean and oil, shoot. Never a problem with any factory or handload FMJ or JHPs. I would call CS which is better than a lot of people know.

Links