Kahr CM9...My experience

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9...My experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my CM9 at a local gun show last weekend and after a cleaning set off to the range to this weekend for the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CM9...My experience

Unhappy I had the same CM9 experience today

I bought my CM9 at a local gun show last weekend and after a cleaning set off to the range to this weekend for the recommended 200rd break in with 200 rds of WWB. I had a few issues in the first 100 rds with the slide locking back after the first couple of shots. This occurred each time because the nose of the bullet had turned down and was basically hung up at the base of the feed ramp. I would have to pull the slide rearward and push the mag release to unlock the slide. At about 120 rounds I looked down after finishing a mag and the tip of the guide rod/recoil spring assembly (visible on the front of the gun just below the barrel) was gone. Luckily I was able to find it and thread it back onto the tip. It never stayed tight from that point on and I would have to tighten it ever six shots or so.

Still insistent that I was going to get through the 200 rounds today while I had the time, I pushed on. At about rd 180 the whole recoil assembly failed. It was protruding out the nose of the gun I could not even get the gun disassembled to examine the gun more closely. I took it out to the range gunsmith who did disassemble the gun and reassembled but could not make any specific diagnosis other than, "If I were you I would send it back to Kahr." Needless to say, I feel more than disappointed. I have owned several different 9mm from low end Rugers to Springfield XDs. I have not ever experienced anything like the mechanical failures that I was dealing with today. I am planning on sending it back to Kahr for service and hoping this will be worth the time and effort that it looks as if I will be investing in getting it functioning properly.

As a side note my dad was breaking in a CW9. It also had to be taken out to the range gunsmith when the guide rod was hanging out the front of the gun as well. The gunsmith told him the recoil spring was in backwards and flipped it (incidentally it had never been disassembled by my father, so it would have come from the factory that way???). The gun worked flawlessly from that point forward. I shot both the CW9 and CM9. When functioning they were very accurate at self defense distances and beyond. My ability to shoot accurately with this gun and its totally concealable size keep me hoping it will work out... time will tell.

2. Remove Ads

Sledge ^^^

I'm not trying to bash, but, this is why I am skittish about getting a CM9. I have read more stories like yours then not.

If They put um out just to have to send them back a time or two why can't they just put um out right in the first place, right out of the box? How will I build the confidence to stake my life on a gun like that? Those are not bought to be plonker fun time guns, they are bought, or at least mine would be, for SD.

I hope you didn't have to pay for two-way shipping? If so then that would uk-say, to have to ship a brand new gun back right out of the box back to the factory for a repair and have to pay for shipping on their defective product.

I have been looking at one myself, just have to wait on Santa, ho ho ho !!! ..... glad to hear the cs is a no glitch thing, that can make or break a company in my opinion.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Sledge ^^^

I'm not trying to bash, but, this is why I am skittish about getting a CM9. I have read more stories like yours then not.

If They put um out just to have to send them back a time or two why can't they just put um out right in the first place, right out of the box? How will I build the confidence to stake my life on a gun like that? Those are not bought to be plonker fun time guns, they are bought, or at least mine would be, for SD.

I hope you didn't have to pay for two-way shipping? If so then that would uk-say, to have to ship a brand new gun back right out of the box back to the factory for a repair and have to pay for shipping on their defective product.
    Totally understandable. If I could have gone back and done it over I probably would have gotten a Glock 26. BUT, I will say, that now, after 275 FLAWLESS rds., this little guy is a keeper. Even though I had to crimp the base plate down more because it would start to advance forward as the rounds emptied the magazine. I got the free 7 rd mag that's performed flawless. As far as the shipping I did have to pay for shipping to them but they paid for the return. So add 75 to the 415 I paid and that's Glock 26 gen3 price.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Did you request a prepaid return label from the CS rep you talked to? I've never had to pay for a warranty return. Granted I've only had to return 2 guns for repairs, 1 to SA and 1 to Taurus twice.
    No but next time I have to send one out, hopefully never, I'll request that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    If I could have gone back and done it over I probably would have gotten a Glock 26.
    I have both a PM9 and a G26. Do yourself a favor - if you can conceal it - get a G26, and don't look back.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a G26 and I can CCW it 80% of the time the other 20% I carry my LCP. I figure out of that 20% I could CCW something like a CM9 80% of the time. But I am having a hard time talking myself into one of those, next gun show which is in about 3-wks I'll be giving a PF9 a hard look they are $275 out the show`s door here, which seems the way I might go.

I had a somewhat similar issue with a brand new pm9. On mine.. the small bushing that screws onto the front of the recoil assembly was not properly secured with locktite. As a result, it worked itself free after 50 or so rounds. Kahr was good about sending out a new recoil guide assembly free of charge, but it did bring into question their attention to detail during assembly. Having a screw on bushing is also somewhat questionable in my book... it seems a one piece unit would be better like other designs. I have not had any issues with my PM9 after that initial problem, but it is still in the back of my mind. My Walther PPS is my preferred carry because I simply shoot it better, and I have a bit more confidence in it due to a higher round count.

I wish you the best of luck with the CM9.. I do think they are quality firearms once you get the initial glitches worked out that may come from the manufacturer.

I just purchased a CM9. I have only been able to fire 18 rounds so far, but unfortunately out of those 18 rounds only 2 did not result in a jam.

I sent pictures of a jam to Kahr and asked if they wanted me continue with the 200 round break in, or send the gun back. They advised that I should continue with the break in. If that works I'm OK with it, but I'm not as impressed as I was with my M&P that has worked flawlessly from day one.

I've read many people state that Kahr's re built to high tolerances, but as someone who has worked in manufacturing for years I would have to disagree.

If they were built to tight tolerances, everything would work out of the box, but instead they appear to be built with tolerances that are sloppy enough to allow interference between the moving parts. Kahr relies on the user to shoot 200 rounds to wear the moving parts enough to eliminate the interference.

I purchased a CW9 2 weeks back. Disassembled, cleaned, cycled the slide about 100 times, took it to the range and put 120 rounds of Sellier & Bellot through it.

First magazine the slide did not lock back after the last shot. After that - zero problems.

I still have a couple hundred rounds more to put through before it goes on my hip, but it's heading to my 'go to gun' choice.

Great trigger. Good shooting. Good price point.

I can update my earlier post.

The first 18 rounds that I mentioned were reloads (purchased at a gun show). They have always worked fine in my M&P so I put them in my new CM9.

Next time I went out I loaded it up with new Federals from Wally World.

100 rounds later, not a single problem of any kind.

I will continue to the 200 round break in before I consider this gun ready to go, but I feel much better about the whole situation now.

Well,
    good thing you had the patience to see it thru. Seems like everything you buy these days needs a trip back to the shop. From new cars to new guns, QC isnt what it used to be. Of course, anything mechanical, electrical or mass produced will have problems. The manfs should spend more $ on QC, and maybe they would save $ on the other end from Reputation leading to more customers. Anyway, glad things turned out and you have you a dependable gun. Reliability should be the number 1 priority to all gun manfs.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Good to hear that the Kahr customer service was that good. I have heard nothing but good comments about their customer service.

Glad your CM9 is a top performer now. I still want to add one to my collection to go with the CW9 I carry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have the PM9 and love it. It's my EDC gun all the time.
    I have had zero problems with it and I have had it for several years now, glad I bought it. It's accurate and easy to shoot well. I have even shot lead round nose reloads through it to see how it would perform if all I had was lead bullets. No problems............

magazine of Lead Round Nose 9 MM. 4.5 grs Unique. 7 Yrds.

Winchester 127 Gr STX 9 MM +P+

Winchester 127 Gr. STX 9 MM +P+
    Remington Golden Sabre 9 MM +P124 Gr. JHP

Glad you got the issue taken care of. I've never heard of any nightmare like that from a Kahr. I did have the frame crack on my CW9 last year, sent it back and they rebuilt the gun on a new frame. I have a PM9 that I've had no problems out of. Sounds like you're headed for a good relationship with your CM9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links