Kahr CM9...My experience - Page 3

Kahr CM9...My experience

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9...My experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my CM9...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CM9...My experience

I love my CM9
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Like this Gun

Picked up my new Kahr CM9
    I first disassembled the gun and clips and toughly cleaned them with Brakleen CRC purchased from a NAPA store (DO NOT use this product on wood or finished surfaces). My gun was basically clean from the factory however the 6 shot clip had a sticky coating which the Brakleen removed. (Note: Make sure to reinstall the clip spring and recoil spring correctly)

I like to use name brand sewing machine oil on my guns; it has very low viscosity which reduces contamination build up; one drop will run the full length of the slide. I also lightly oiled the inside of the clips. This oil is formulated for hundreds of cycles on sewing machines it has high lubricity use it sparingly; a small amount goes a long way!

I then manually racked the slide 500 times (suggested in a Blog I read), then again cleaned and oiled the slide. Following ammunition recommendations in an article by Chuck Hawks, I fired 100 rounds of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr FMJ with only one FTF (96th round). On the first 50 rounds the slide stop twice did not engage to hold the slide open after the last round was fired. (I should have used it a few times during the manual break in.) Following the operating instructions I always racked the first round using the slide stop lever and I alternated between the six and seven shot clips to make sure they were both reliable.

Re-cleaned and oiled the Gun before firing 50 more rounds of Remington 9mm Luger +P Golden Saber 124 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Points FLAWLESSLY.

Quote Originally Posted by nolffr View Post
    Picked up my new Kahr CM9 ...
    Excellent first post, Mr. nolffr. Welcome to DC! Barring any unexpected car repairs or vet bills or other unforeseen expenses I should own a CM9 by next month. Those jokers over at KahrTalk are probably going to be wishing I'd bought a Glock.

I am weeks away from a CM9 purchase. Thanks for all the interesting comments. One thing I have to say is I would be really angry if I had to pay for a defective product being shipped back for repair. That would really P me off. Just saying.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If it happens kahr picks up the tab and will send a shipping label. Take everthing apart clean debure if needed mags to use a light synthetic oil and go shot. mine ran great from the first round on and I fire 6000 rounds before cleaning and then its ready for CC. My pocket pistol is cm9 and IWB is a cw9. I bought that one used and was a problem pistol for the owner. I bought it cheap , cleaned and detailed it lube as needed and fired 600 rounds trouble free. All companies can turn out a firearm out of spec but I really think some people are to lazy to prep a firearm or to stupid to simple make them function properly most times.

I have been having the same issues and a new recoil assembly is enroute. I hope that fixes the problem.

Just curious about what exactly is supposed to be oiled after cleaning. I obviously know to oil the slide but what else should get a lil oil to make sure things work properly. I have cleaned and oiled my hunting rifles but hearing some of these stories about to much oil has me wondering. Also what kinds of cleaning products do you all like to use or must use. Is Hoppes cleaner and oil ok?

Unclejesse25,
    Lots of good info here for proper care of Kahr's, including how/where to oil/lube.
    Kahr-Tech - KahrTalk Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse25 View Post
    Just curious about what exactly is supposed to be oiled after cleaning. I obviously know to oil the slide but what else should get a lil oil to make sure things work properly. I have cleaned and oiled my hunting rifles but hearing some of these stories about to much oil has me wondering. Also what kinds of cleaning products do you all like to use or must use. Is Hoppes cleaner and oil ok?
    KahrLubePoints.jpg

Thanks guys. Diagram helps alot. This is what I like about this forum, good people and good info without getting called out. Thanks

Recent CM9 Purchase

I followed the instructions in the manual after purchase, which include breaking down the CM9 and applying some appropriate CLP.

I think the cleaning was really important because I got *a lot* of crap out of the gun. Little plastic shaving bits were in the slide rails, so follow the instructions and clean before trying to break it in!

After reassembly, I racked the slide about 50 times.

Took it to the range the next day and it fired 75/75 with no errors. I shot two kinds of 115 gr. JHP through it, just using the provided 6 round mag.

I'll probably finish breaking it in next weekend but so far no problems here with the CM9.

I read many many articles about the CM 9 and had 1 about 5 years ago and I would swear by it. But I purchase 1 last Friday

I noticed after l I noticed after loading it that's a magazine with still stick out about the eighth of an inch. I call customer service before I took it to the range and a says go fire a couple 100 rounds in college back. So I did so the first magazine the first shot came out o obviously because I was alre obviously because I was already in the pipe the second was a jam the fourth and fifth was good the 6 was the jam. wha what Remington ball amm first 2 shots were first 2 shots were good thir third was a jam 5th I thought w 5th I thought was a jam the gun wirfired which could be a ba which could be a bad primer Oreg or th or the gun. this happen 4 more times and call customer servic and they sent me an RA to center and they sent me an RA to when I get bac I am NOT happy with it I am NOT happy with it at this point
    Being that it's a Kahr. will find out there' will find out there's hundreds of the s of the same thing with magazine problems on the CM 9 going back to 3 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ballydoctor View Post
    find out there's hundreds of the s of the same thing with magazine problems on the CM 9 going back to 3 years ago
    Yes, Kahr's admonition about a break-in of at least 200rds is important. On many of their guns, it proves an absolute minimum. On my several PM9's and P380's, it did. And on each and every one, I experienced many of these jams (FTF, FTE, nose-down on the feed ramp, etc). Got one PM9 to the point of a couple hundred rounds error-free, but by then I'd lost confidence in that one.

Lots of people have PM9's and CM9's they're utterly happy with, with flawless behavior after the initial break-in phase when things settle down. Exactly when that'll be will depend on the specific gun and how the tolerances are on that one. If willing to run it through its paces, give it a whirl. You'll likely find things will settle down and you'll begin to have flawless operation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's my opinion which don't mean a whole lot ... If you have to shoot it 200 times, rack the slide 500 times, clean it before shooting it, lube it a certain way, hold it a certain way, polish it , work on the magazine to improve it, and a host of other things... I would not trust it if it came down to the nut cutting in a bad situation... I have a new Kahr CM 40 back at the factory now because it kept hanging up and all the above procedures was the remedy I have been told and read...

I've got one and have run over 1000 rounds thru it with no issues. It's a nice compact little package. I alternate between it and my XDs in .45.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links