Kahr CM9...My experience

Kahr CM9...My experience

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9...My experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading hundreds of good reviews on the Kahr CM9, I had to get one. So the height of my gun obsession (It's eased off ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CM9...My experience

Kahr CM9...My experience

After reading hundreds of good reviews on the Kahr CM9, I had to get one. So the height of my gun obsession (It's eased off a bit for now thank God) I purchased one. Excited to get this little guys I already bought the ammo and SD ammo to put it to the test. It arrived about a week later at my FFL. A quick clean and off to the range I went. The first mag was good. From there on it was pure hell and major disappointment. FTF, FTE then out of nowhere the spring came through the front of the slide and rendered my happy day at the range a major dissapointment and almost nightmarish. How could this be. I never heard one bad thing about this gun. Was it something I did? Was it a lemon? I gave it a big So I contacted Kahr CS and they sent me a new recoil assembly right away. I was hoping that first day was a fluke. So a week later, I have my new recoil assembly and go to the range. About 3 mags go through without a hitch. Then it happens again. Spring coming out of the front of the slide. I call it a day and send it back to Kahr a couple days later. Let me throw in Kahr CS has been excellent. Sent my CM9 out on a monday and 2 1/2 weeks later it's in my hands (the form they sent stated they replaced the barrel). I was about to go straight to the gun store and sell it but thought i would give it one last chance. So I get 100 rounds and head to the range. FLAWLESS. I'm ecstatic!! So I take her home. Clean her and take her back the next day (today). Another 100 rounds and 2 different SD ammo (Speer GD 124 +p and Hornady CD 115gr) FLAWLESS. Now this is the CM9 I've been reading about!! So in the end it all worked out and I'm a happy camper. It went from my most hated gun to one of my top 3 favorites. Love/hate. Almost like my marriage. Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with this little baby.

PS-Has anybody sent a gun out for warranty work? MAN IS IT EXPENSIVE!! LOL

Glad you got the issues resolved and are happy with your purchase.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have one and the only issue I have ever had was I over oiled it and then shot nasty ammo. I would have to manually reset the trigger after each shot. 1/2 can of brake cleaner later and its smooth as butter.

I've had my CM9 for a couple weeks now, and it's been flawless through ~350 rounds, no break-in problems. It has become my part of my EDC when I can't conceal something larger because of the way I'm dressed. Since I live in south TX, I find myself wearing shorts and a t-shirt most days, and the CM9 still conceals nicely (pocket or IWB).

VIP Member
    My CM9 has been flawless. Just a tip, make sure your recoil guide rod cycles properly during assembly. I have had time where the recoil spring gets in front of the guide rod.

I seriously love this firearm though. I never thought I would like it so much.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

As much as I like my PM9, there is no doubt based on all the reports in the forums that on an individual gun by gun basis, Kahr's can be quite 'hit or miss" (pun unintended). They either work flawlessly out of the box as did mine or they are seriously screwed up and end up requiring a major fix or replacement by Kahr. I think this is due to the very tight tolerances in hte way the Kahr is designed.

The saving grace here is that I have found Kahr customer service to be very good. A buddy of mine bought a used PM9 in a face to face transaction and, from the start, it refused to return to battery after the first round. We tried new springs and magazines but that did not solve it. He sent it to Kahr and they ended up replacing the slide. They said it was misaligned and that was causing the problem. They did it for free even though he had not registered it for warranty service. Since the new frame it has worked without a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    After reading hundreds of good reviews on the Kahr CM9, I had to get one. So the height of my gun obsession (It's eased off a bit for now thank God) I purchased one. Excited to get this little guys I already bought the ammo and SD ammo to put it to the test. It arrived about a week later at my FFL. A quick clean and off to the range I went. The first mag was good. From there on it was pure hell and major disappointment. FTF, FTE then out of nowhere the spring came through the front of the slide and rendered my happy day at the range a major dissapointment and almost nightmarish. How could this be. I never heard one bad thing about this gun. Was it something I did? Was it a lemon? I gave it a big So I contacted Kahr CS and they sent me a new recoil assembly right away. I was hoping that first day was a fluke. So a week later, I have my new recoil assembly and go to the range. About 3 mags go through without a hitch. Then it happens again. Spring coming out of the front of the slide. I call it a day and send it back to Kahr a couple days later. Let me throw in Kahr CS has been excellent. Sent my CM9 out on a monday and 2 1/2 weeks later it's in my hands (the form they sent stated they replaced the barrel). I was about to go straight to the gun store and sell it but thought i would give it one last chance. So I get 100 rounds and head to the range. FLAWLESS. I'm ecstatic!! So I take her home. Clean her and take her back the next day (today). Another 100 rounds and 2 different SD ammo (Speer GD 124 +p and Hornady CD 115gr) FLAWLESS. Now this is the CM9 I've been reading about!! So in the end it all worked out and I'm a happy camper. It went from my most hated gun to one of my top 3 favorites. Love/hate. Almost like my marriage. Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with this little baby.PS-Has anybody sent a gun out for warranty work? MAN IS IT EXPENSIVE!! LOL
    I have sent back both a Ruger and a Glock for warranty work. Both were on their dime and didn't cost me a thing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know 2 people who have recently bought them, both of them needed to send them back to fix ejection issues, send yours back and they should be able to straighten the gun out.

I just bought one about two weeks ago. I gave it a good cleaning when I got home, then polished the entire barrel. I bought two box's of walmart white box and off I went. I put about 225 rounds through it and had zero problems. I was very pleased with it. The recoil is also very low to me. I'm really loving this little pistol. It may soon replace the glock 26, which I also love and had zero problems. I wanted something just a little small to pocket carry...I think I found it.

VIP Member
    Did you request a prepaid return label from the CS rep you talked to? I've never had to pay for a warranty return. Granted I've only had to return 2 guns for repairs, 1 to SA and 1 to Taurus twice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

maybe you noticed how incredibly tight the CM9 is when you rack the slide for the first time?? Anyone that buys a CM9.....rack the slide about 1000 times before you go to the range and lube the crap out of it. Kahr recommends a 200 round break in before the gun is supposed to be 100%, but that is expensive, and disappointing if you have problems. Kahrs are not Glocks.

I had no issues after the arm building exercise. Pistol has been freaking perfect, but only because I actually read the instruction manual.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I think the 100rds of defense ammo used for testing when it got back was what he meant by warranty work being expensive. ;)

mine has been flawless since day 1 except for the cracked magazine which was replaced n/c.

Range ammo: PMC 115gr FMJ
    SD ammo tested: Speer GD 124gr +p & Federal HST 147gr
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Glad you got it working.

I've sent two Rugers and a Walther back to the factory. One Ruger for major warranty work (Single Six Hunter), the other Ruger (LCP) and Walther (PPK/S) for recall. Didn't cost me a cent for any of them. Both companies sent me a prepaid shipping label. I stuck it on the package and had my favorite LGS hand them to UPS. All three guns were sent back to my house and handed to me by the Fed-Ex driver. All three were close enough to perfect after they were returned that I couldn't tell the difference.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Kahr makes a good gun, but it's always the one horror story though that sticks in your mind the longest. I love my CM9, like many others not a single problem, period.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links