Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP - Page 2

Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP

This is a discussion on Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Take the same cash, buy ammo. Go to therange and learn to point shoot it. No new holsters, no extra weight ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Take the same cash, buy ammo. Go to therange and learn to point shoot it. No new holsters, no extra weight and no silly gadget dangling from a BUG. Plus, you will end up being a better shooter.
    What he said. Its a belly gun, point and pull the trigger. If your conflict becomes more than that, you will wish you had something more substantial anyway.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

waste of money, as much use as the chips you can buy online for $39.95 that claim to add 100 BHP to my LS2
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Aim small, miss small.

A laser helps you aim small, while under stress, in low light.

Everyone talks about the importance of shot placement with pistols (which are all underpowered), yet there are those who continue to poo-poo lasers.

Point shooting is a necessary skill, but you will never be as accurate hitting the vitals in low light while under stress as you would be if you had a laser. I witnessed this first hand at the low light pistol class I took. The other students (who were all using full sized fighting pistols) had targets that looked like they were hit by buckshot, with hits all over the target - and OFF the target. And this was with most of the shooting done from only the 5 and 7 yard (!) line. With my bitty laser-equipped LCP, I was able to out-shoot everyone there. No - I'm not some olympic shooter. Credit goes to the laser.

Bottom line - I've seen what they can do, and I will have a CT laser on any defensive handgun I own.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Count me in the CT camp, also. I was given a 638 that pointed one way and shot another. I figured I was pulling my shots, but the sights on a J frame are a joke anyway so I figured I'd try the CT grip as a training aid if nothing else. I also found some excellent training videos on the CT website and integrated some of their techniques in my training. I found the CT to be absolutely instinctive and a perfect complement for the type of situation a J frame is most likely to be used in.

CT doesn't make a laser grip for my third gen Smiths, but I had become such a believer that I adopted a different model CT laser for my 6906 and 908 and I'm working on one for my CS9. What I found really interesting was that while I was modifying the grips my dear wife looked over my shoulder to see what I was doing. When I demonstrated how the red dot lined up with the iron sights the little light came on over her head and she got interested and suggested she might actually like to shoot the next time we go to the range. To me, that alone is worth the price of the laser. We guys might take sight picture for granted, but some women - who are already hesitant about guns - might not understand some of the terms we use when we tell them to line up the sights or something. They can understand put the red dot where you want the hole.

As for not being visiable in bright sunlight, my experience has been just the opposite. Last weekend I playing with it hitting targets more than 100 feet away in full bright noontime sunlight. Someone must need new batteries. And the laser GRIPS - not the clunky add on laser things - fit any holster I own.

I think if the first gun had a laser sight, we'd be having this discussion about why iron sights are needed. <G>

YMMV, but I'm a believer.

los
    A laser equipped handgun is great for the [low light] range. It will expose how much grip shake you really have and it'll demonstrate bench rest handgun accuracy, assuming the device will maintaiin POA.

But it's completely worthless for quick CQB self-defense scenario. It's kinda like placing a laser on a knife, bat or brick
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Lightbulb another option

Since this thread was started another laser option is now available for the Ruger LCP, the Lasermax model. It looks like a good product. Here is a link:

LCP-LaserMax-Laser-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

HTH,

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've ordered a CT laser for my P3AT; prior to ordering I read several threads on the KT forum and comments were mostly positive. Galco makes a pocket holster that accommodates either the LCP or P3AT with CT laser. I don't think the CT laser will hinder pocket carry. The sights on the LCP and P3AT are miniscule and the laser would surely increase low light accuracy.
    I got the Crimson trace laser and installed it on the P3AT yesterday. Installation was simple and it only needed minor adjustment for bullets to hit POA with the laser. I was shooting outside and the red dot was easily visible on the target 6-7 yards away. It terms of accuracy - WOW - I was impressed, the laser allowed me to achieve not before obtained accuracy from the pocket pistol.
    I can't see the drawback in having something that increases low light accuracy. If under attack and don't have time to use the laser, then it won't matter if it's there; its presence doesn't hinder point & shoot capability whatsoever.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links