Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP

This is a discussion on Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like my LCP, and am considering spending the $170 or so for the Crimson Trace laser for it. -For anyone with this setup, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP

Thinking about Crimson Trace for my LCP

I really like my LCP, and am considering spending the $170 or so for the Crimson Trace laser for it.

-For anyone with this setup, is it worth it?

-Does it affect concealability in any appreciable way?

-Has anyone had the opportunity to try the LCP both with and without a laser?

2. Remove Ads

i also have the lcp and consider it a great little 380 pocket pistol but i think it's more of a point and shoot type gun,designed for up-close personal defense..i can't justify spending more then half what the lcp cost on a Crimson Trace Laser..JMO
    trek757 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I had CT on mine but took it off. My LCP wears a Pachmayr slip-on grip and there is no real work around to use it with the CT laser. I admit thought if yours don't wear a grip accessory the CT's fit and functionallity is is really good.

You might want to google "LaserLyte CK-AMF Lyt Small Side MT Laser Ruger"

I think that one is about $100.00 less than the CT but I have no info on the quality.

I am not a big fan of lasers but that is just me.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I put one on my wife's LCP last year (it was her Christmas present!) and her accuracy and speed went up dramatically!!! It makes her much more confident with the weapon. It does not affect concealability at all. Also I feel like if a BG sees the laser pointed on him, that may increase the deterrent factor, not that we should ever count on that alone, but I think it may help.
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

I've bought and owned several lasers. My opinion: lasers are fun, interesting, and worthless. You can't see them in daylight and they're basically worthless in complete darkness as well. They don't hold zero and they eliminate holster options. I carried CT for a while until I realized that they use ferrous metal for their set screws and a month of carry resulted in much rusted fittings. And the argument that BG's will flee in terror from a laser light are just silly. But, they do have a purpose. They will help you diagnose trigger pull problems and flinching, and they will aid you in improving your point shooting. But for carry? Nah......

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I really like my LCP, and am considering spending the $170 or so for the Crimson Trace laser for it.

-For anyone with this setup, is it worth it?

-Does it affect concealability in any appreciable way?

-Has anyone had the opportunity to try the LCP both with and without a laser?
    All my defensive pistols have CT lasers.

The one for the LCP does not impact concealment at all.

I would suggest using the finger extension on the mag floorplate that comes with the LCP - makes holding on to it much easier.

As far as the laser goes - I ran a low-light class with my LCP w/laser. I was the only student there who never missed the target, and who had anything resembling shot groups in the vitals - despite using the smallest and "hardest to control" gun in the group. I was also the only one who ran a laser for the whole class. Coincidence? Not. Some of the instructors were a bit incredulous that I would run that class with such a small pistol, but after seeing the results, they shut up.

I do most of my training with the laser off, because having it on seems like cheating - which is a good thing if you have to defend yourself.

Get it, you will not regret it. I buy mine at Shooters Resource.

Oh, and I've had zero issues with loss of zero.

And yes, the laser can have an intimidation factor that might keep you from actually needing to pull the trigger. That means less paperwork for all concerned. You don't want to count on that, of course, but it has been documented over and over again.
    boomer1 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thumbs up LCP w/CT laser

I have had a Crimson Trace (CT) laser on my LCP for almost a year. I carry my pistol in a Recluse-plus pocket holster. After initial installation I did have to re-sight the laser, even though CT says that they are sighted in at the factory. I have put about 200 rounds downrange with this set-up, with no subsequent loss of zero.

I like the prior poster's advice to turn off the laser when training. I will likely adopt the practice. Though I initially used the CT at the range. It certainly helped with target re-acquisition after the first shot. That small pistol certainly has a snappy recoil and the laser was helpful with initial range training.

The current price seems a little high. I have noticed that CT does occasionally run rebate programs, though none currently running. I have also installed a CT laser on my Taurus 709 slim. I have had similar results as with the LCP. I believe that I got mine at Optics Planet.com in the Chicago area.

I agree with 10thmtn's positive comments. Pick one up when there is a rebate running.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my LCP and PM9. I does not affect concealability and no, I don't rely heavily on it. It is just a tool that may come in handy someday.

On a side note, I've noticed that in dark situations, The light emitted from the laser will afford some light to the target area...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

I've ordered a CT laser for my P3AT; prior to ordering I read several threads on the KT forum and comments were mostly positive. Galco makes a pocket holster that accommodates either the LCP or P3AT with CT laser. I don't think the CT laser will hinder pocket carry. The sights on the LCP and P3AT are miniscule and the laser would surely increase low light accuracy.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Got one on my p3at, its the best thing since slced bread for that little gun.

John

the only thing I use a laser for is to drive my cat crazy. All these years, and he still hasn't figured out he is never going to catch that nasty little red bug.
    crue2009, Yankeejib and macg19 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I too have thought about it, but besides the cost of the laser I would have to buy multiple new holsters. That's why I decided against it. In reality, laser or no laser, you're not likely to win any contest in a 25 yard shootout with a gun designed to be a backup.

A laser is just another tool in your toolbox. It doesn't replace iron sights or training.

That being said, I have a laser on all of my carry guns. I also think that Crimson Trace makes the best laser since they can be activated by simply gripping the gun. No buttons to fumble with. I have 4 Crimson Trace lasers and I've never had to readjust them or had them lose zero.

Some great reads.
    Cornered Cat - The Case for Lasers
    Cornered Cat - Practicing with a Laser

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    the only thing I use a laser for is to drive my cat crazy. All these years, and he still hasn't figured out he is never going to catch that nasty little red bug.
    It's the only thing that will make my cat crawl the wall.

Administrator
    Take the same cash, buy ammo. Go to therange and learn to point shoot it. No new holsters, no extra weight and no silly gadget dangling from a BUG. Plus, you will end up being a better shooter.
    glockman10mm, macg19 and los like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links