"Snake Slayer" from Bond Arms

This is a discussion on "Snake Slayer" from Bond Arms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Bond Arms Derringer's in .410/.45 Colt are a great close quarter Heavy Duty Derringer for serious close quarter defensive carry. I bought the "Snake ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "Snake Slayer" from Bond Arms

The Bond Arms Derringer's in .410/.45 Colt are a great close quarter Heavy Duty Derringer for serious close quarter defensive carry.
    I bought the "Snake Slater" and am really impressed. Bond Arms Derringers | The Smallest Most Powerful Personal Protection You Can Carry

My big Bro purchased one of those last year and loves it. However, when we took it to the range, we discovered that the rifled portion of the barrels (about 1/2 inch) is not sufficient to keep a 45 cal bullet from tumbling. I suppose if one only uses .410 buckshot in it, it will work fine for snakes, both the kind that slither on their belly and the kind that walk on two legs.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

VIP Member
    Derringers were designed as belly guns. I prefer not to let a BG that close. I'll stick with my semi auto.

Snake Slayer
    Barrel: 3 1/2 “
    Weight: 22 oz.
    Length: 5 1/2 “
    Stocks: Extended Custom Rosewood
    Sights: Bladefront and Fixed Rear
    Features: • 3 1/2″ barrel

Retail Price:
    $475.00

Kahr CW45
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 6+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.64", conventional rifling, 1 - 16.38 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 6.32"
    Height: 4.8"
    Slide Width: 1.01"
    Weight: Pistol 19.7 oz., Magazine 2 oz.
    Grips: Textured polymer
    Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
    Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
    Magazines: 1 - 6 rd, Stainless
    Price about $400.00 including tax & NICS
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good to Know

I did not plan on using a .45 Colt, except with CCI's Snake shot ammo.
    However, I have the 3" Barrel which handle .327 ammunition very well.
    I like to carry .PDX1 and 000 Buckshot, as shown.

Great for in the car, close quarters and ALL KINDA SNAKES.
    This is and over and under shotgun, not a traditional derringer.
    Try one out!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Derringers were designed as belly guns. I prefer not to let a BG that close. I'll stick with my semi auto.

Snake Slayer
    Barrel: 3 1/2 “
    Weight: 22 oz.
    Length: 5 1/2 “
    Stocks: Extended Custom Rosewood
    Sights: Bladefront and Fixed Rear
    Features: • 3 1/2″ barrel

Retail Price:
    $475.00

Kahr CW45
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 6+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.64", conventional rifling, 1 - 16.38 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 6.32"
    Height: 4.8"
    Slide Width: 1.01"
    Weight: Pistol 19.7 oz., Magazine 2 oz.
    Grips: Textured polymer
    Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
    Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
    Magazines: 1 - 6 rd, Stainless
    Price about $400.00 including tax & NICS

Poor choice for anything other than a novelty. Oh yeah, it'll destroy snakes, but so will a .38 snubby with a shot load. As Archer51 pointed out, a handgun with three times the cartridge capacity and a real rifled barrel and weighing in a few ounces lighter can be had for less money. Then factor in the lack of accuracy and how slow the derringer is to get into action, I would have little use for one. Granted the Bond Arms Derringer is the best of it's type, it just doesn't do it for me. To each his own.
    str1

You are right..... "Too each his own". Doubt you have ever been in a gun fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Poor choice for anything other than a novelty. Oh yeah, it'll destroy snakes, but so will a .38 snubby with a shot load. As Archer51 pointed out, a handgun with three times the cartridge capacity and a real rifled barrel and weighing in a few ounces lighter can be had for less money. Then factor in the lack of accuracy and how slow the derringer is to get into action, I would have little use for one. Granted the Bond Arms Derringer is the best of it's type, it just doesn't do it for me. To each his own.
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlers View Post
    Some have been in a gun fight. This is still a poor choice for SD..Snakes on the other hand, have at it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlers View Post
    You lost some respect with that one. Shooter1 was offering and agreeing with valid points that had been made and you turned it personal. Very immature.
    blitzburgh and Ksgunner like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sorry if you disagree. It is as posted, great for close quarters contact and it is in the car arm rest with a S&W637CT.
    Sorry for the slam shooter1. You should try one out if you can. You might change your opinion.
    I was not suggesting it for EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Some have been in a gun fight. This is still a poor choice for SD..Snakes on the other hand, have at it.

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Ive always thought of derringers as a fun novelty/collector gun. Cant fathom someone honestly considering it a serious fighting handgun. Just my thoughts.

I admit that I haven't tried 410 slugs but I have my doubts as to their accuracy because of tumbling.

I solved my SD problem by fireforming 444 Marlin brass cases to 410. Then 15grs of Herco under a 410 plastic wad filled with 4 .360dia round balls (000 Buck). Over SD ranges these balls, located perfectly inline behind one another do not spread more than about 2 inches at 21 feet. Each ball weighs 70grs for a total of 280grs leaving the barrel.

Forget the 45 Colt ammo. A total waste of time and money.

Chris

It remains for me a product that someone else can purchase.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Leave the dang snakes alone. Step back 3 feet (or wherever you come back down) and you're perfectly safe. If you really feel you just gotta kill one, grab a stick. no one ever took the ride for "man with a stick."
    chefjon likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I walk around snakes see no reason to kill something I can avoid but I can see how it would be a fun "toy" or a back up gun.
    Tex32Cal likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links