Confused - Page 2

Confused

This is a discussion on Confused within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rock and Glock Try a Col Steel City Stick: City Stick : Walking Sticks (Cold Steel) Looks like we're on the same ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Try a Col Steel City Stick: City Stick : Walking Sticks (Cold Steel)
    Looks like we're on the same page.

HPIM2872.jpg
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Rock n glock...checked out that city stick....I so want one now. I did not even know that existed.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I bet the OP would feel differently if being made had financial and/or social consequences.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Alot of folks, try to balance their expectations and what it's. Some call it reality.
    To some that reality is what if scenarios driving the chosen arm, and for some, they stick with the math and play the odds.

It's all about perception. In my world, I am comfortable with a 7 shot 1911 because I like big bullet payload. However, if I go lighter, it's a g26 at the smallest gun / caliber combo in 9mm. However, with the 9mm, I want more capacity which I get.

I prefer a full size gun as I shoot it better, but have at times of necassitty or just plain convenience put a j frame or PPK on my person.

It's all about the percieved need or desire at the time.

The only person who can say anyone else's choice was bad, is the coroner who examines the body.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

carrying what you want usually ends up with a comprimise

Although I've owned firearms for years, I've recently gone to ccw most days. When I hunted game with rifles, it seemed like there was always a "trade off".
    I wanted a long range super flat rifle that I could carry in the mountains or high plains that could take most north American game. I settled on a .300 Win Mag. It weighed about 10 lbs with the scope. I wanted to be more proficient with it as far as long range went but it was so punishing to shoot. I did take an elk with it and I really didn't notice the recoil.

Pistols are the same way, only worse. I'd like 10mm auto performance in a 15 oz package I can carry IWB and cover with a t-shirt, but that isnt reality. For one, Newtons law comes into mind. Muzzle blast and recoil will deter me from practicing as much as I should to become proficient. So, In my opinion as a chl holder, you as an individual have to ask yourself what it MOST important to YOU. Get something you will practice with. If you're not able to hit what you're aiming(pointing) at what good is it. The bigger calibers require more training to make multiple hits on target. Here are some of the decisions you must make:

-caliber(bigger and heavier is generally better-to a point)
    -action mode( SA, SA/DA, DAO, revolver, LDA)
    -maufacturer( generally you get what you pay for)
    -weight vs power( how much recoil can you stand and still get multiple hits)
    also size and convenience plays a role here
    -reliability(I dont care if its a $1200 Kimber, more than 1 malfunction with your carry load in 200 rounds is unacceptable to bet your life on)
    -price(some of us have less to spend than others, but Id say $350 is minimum. Less will usually get you a less than reliable weapon)

So be honest with yourself when shopping for your ccw. List what is MOST IMPORTANT AND what is least important.
    If you find later that you made the wrong trade-offs and you dont like carrying your choice- suck it up! That means carry it anyway(unless you sacrificed reliability) or dump it for something you WILL carry. I'd put the 9mm or .38 as a minimum calibre for a primary weapon. Especially now as there are numerous pistols and snubbies of adequate size to handle the power.
    Again, my opinion here. Some of you may add your thoughts as well

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ..., and for some, they stick with the math and play the odds.

It's all about perception. ...
    That's all I have. Don't make me throw my book at you.

options are always a good thing. My EDC is still a G19....but the G26 sees a lot of carry time when its 95 degrees in Orlando.
    The smaller pocket pistols make carrying two guns even easier....maybe even three if I am driving into da 'hood on business.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Iím not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When I started all I had were full size service automatics so thatís what I carried. I never found them hard to conceal or heavy or any of the things I hear nowadays. I prefer a full size sight picture and full size grip. Currently I carry a G23 and thatís as small of a gun as I would ever carry except in a back up role. I know the new wave of pocket guns are a result of the new wave of CCW holders and I get it. I just donít get why most people today seem to think that any gun larger than a box of Chiclets is impossible to carry comfortably and conceal. Of course we didnít have the internet back then telling us what we can and canít accomplish either.
    The claim that most people go small for CCW is not one I have seen. Of the people I know personally who carry, and I know quite a few, I see four or five full size or compacts for every sub-compact/micro.

It just seems that the attention and gun rag focus is on ever-smaller and ever-lighter. Some of these handguns we have available today are more of a talisman to ward off evil or else a bauble rather than a serious fighting weapon.

I don't like stunted flea-weight pistols and ain't going to carry them regularly. Other folks are welcome to do what they wish regarding their carry choice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have large guns, medium sized guns, and small guns. I carry different ones at different times based on situation, attire, climate, etc. I like full-sized guns, but have found myself migrating more towards the compacts and subcompacts the last couple years. With a good holster and belt, and proper wardrobe choices I can carry and conceal a full-sized gun in shorts and a t-shirt. I found that I shoot my XD40sc as well as anything I've ever shot regardless of size and it's easy to carry. My S&W 442 is super easy to pocket carry as a primary or secondary weapon, and I can shoot it very accurately as well. I find that I carry those two more than any others I have. Just kind of works out that way.

Another thing I like about the DAO snub revolver is in winter when your primary is under layers of shirts and jackets, the DAO snub can be carried in your coat pocket with your hand on it and can be fired from inside the pocket also. That's one situation where the small DAO snub has an advantage.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

When people come to the store to make a purchase they ask me "what is the best gun available" I tell them "it's the one that feels best in your hands, and gives you the best sight picture"
    Some feel comfy with a 2 inch snubbie, where others want a 5 inch 1911. Personally, I feel comfy with all of em that I carry.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Why do you care? I think that may be a better question. No one is forcing you to carry a smaller firearm, nor do they have to carry something they don't feel is comfortable.
    I think you missed the point if I even had a point. I dont care at all. I was just speaking my mind.

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Ah yes, the eternal question: "Why doesn't everyone carry exactly what I carry?"

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but not everybody shares your taste in firearms. Different people have different body sizes, abilities, and wardrobe considerations. Some people think 8 rounds of .45 are good, others want 18 rounds of 9mm. Some are happy with .380.
    That's just how it is.

That wasn't my question at all. I could care less if someone caries a mouse gun or an AT4. I was just questioning a mindset.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I carry a new fly-weight 9 because I can shoot a nice group with it, & I can tuck a shirt in over my IWB & still have full concealment.

Would I like to carry a full-size firearm? You betcha. But I just can't do the multiple layers of clothing.

I believe that the new wave of permit holders is the result of the new wave of compact firearms. That's my take on it.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That's it. The feather weights are selling. People, many of whom are novices, new to guns seem to want the ultimate in ease of carry. The thing is I seldom see anyone actually practicing with them.
    I found myself doing precisely that. I love to carry my light guns like my LCP and S&W 642, but noticed that I always took my "fun" guns like my RIA 1911 and Beretta 92FS to the range to enjoy. Breaking out the 642 and finding that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn really opened my eyes to my mistake.

I still make time for my "fun guns", but now, I sure as heck practice with my "fun to carry" guns as well. I also am reconsidering only carrying smaller BUG-style guns, when I can shoot my larger pistols so well.

One of the big factors which drove my choice in smaller guns was that I'm a pretty small guy. I'm 5'8", 140 lbs, and only have a 29-inch waist. I figured that it would be ridiculous to try and carry something like a full-size auto, until I came to various gun forums and found people my size who did it with very little difficulty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links