Confused - Page 3

Confused

This is a discussion on Confused within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figure it this way.... not one gun and wear only clothes that will work with that gun, but more guns that it will fit ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Confused

I figure it this way.... not one gun and wear only clothes that will work with that gun, but more guns that it will fit whatever I"m wearing. LOL. I go for "all of the above".

My size, body type, etc. dictates all of the rest.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Could I comfortably carry and conceal a full size auto? Sure. Am I willing to make the adjustments to wardrobe and such that would enable me to? No. I don't hit the gym 5 times a week so I can wear all my clothes to big just so that I can conceal a full size pistol. 10+1 in my Glock 26 with a 17 round Glock 17 mag for back up gives me a good deal of fire power and allows me to dress the way I want to. That's a win/win in my book.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Could I comfortably carry and conceal a full size auto? Sure. Am I willing to make the adjustments to wardrobe and such that would enable me to? No. I don't hit the gym 5 times a week so I can wear all my clothes to big just so that I can conceal a full size pistol. 10+1 in my Glock 26 with a 17 round Glock 17 mag for back up gives me a good deal of fire power and allows me to dress the way I want to. That's a win/win in my book.
    At least you are one who knows and understands his priorities. I think the OP refers to the increasing numbers of people who are new to guns and may not have had any time to gain much actual gun savvy who are hitting the gun counters equipped with their brand new permits to legally carry concealed, and have read all about the ultimate in carry comfort in their favorite gun magazine, and by gosh that's what they want to start out with. As for the missus, I bet one of those little 15 oz cuties would be just right for her because of its light weight... You know..something a petite gal can handle. The market is there and the gun manufacturers have responded. I'm just not seeing many of them in use at the range. I personally have 2 of them. I'll put a few rounds through them just to stay in touch with them and then move on to punching holes in paper with one of my real guns. I consider them to be occasional shorts and tee shirt guns.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    I guess I regret starting this thread. My point was muddled it seems. Oh well live and learn.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    I guess I regret starting this thread. My point was muddled it seems. Oh well live and learn.
    Don't feel like your the only one. EVERY one of us has started or offered to a thread that we later regretted in some way. BTW if I could carry any SD weapon it would not be a hand gun. BUT a full auto 12 GA is not a practical solution either LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    Play your cards, take your chances. No harm done, at any rate.

Your point doesn't seem muddled to me. Some of our responses may have muddled it some of course. A guy once told me that he considered a Ruger SP101 too big to carry. I was "confused", (your thread title). I remember asking him if he was sure he really wanted to carry a gun. Your point is clear enough. Of course I really don't care what other people want to carry. Others may do as they please. I plan to.
    bmcgilvray and glockman10mm like this.

What one decides to carry is always a personal choice. I carry my SR9c (OWB) under a shirt year round. Using the mags that came with it, I can carry 27 rounds of 9mm. It is light weight, shoots great, crazy accurate, and hardly noticeable when worn. If I can't get it done with this pistol and that much ammo, then I'm probably going down anyway.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    It's easier to conceal a smaller object than a larger object... that's just a fact of life. Whether one carries a full size or small firearm, lots of factors go into making a CCW choice. Adjusting to those factors then opting for the best available and appropriate gun makes more sense to me.

As to the heat. . . . I live in SC and can carry a mid sized handgun all summer with belted shorts a loose cotton shirt.

Everyone must make a choice. Carry a eight shot .45. OK as long as it has no safety. Carry an 18 round CZ. OK! PLACEMENT!!!

I'd rather most law abiding citizens carry a little .380 then leave a bigger pistol at home. Or not carry at all. That said I regularly carry a full size 1911 IWB. But like others have pointed out, not everyone can carry the same thing with different heights and body types. I'm 6'5" and 195lbs, so the 1911 fits me fine. With a pocket .380 as a back-up of course. But with training I don't feel under-gunned in those situations where I can't tote along my .45, and have to rely solely on my .380.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I carry what I want to carry, whenever I want to carry it (them), and don't give a wet rat's behind what anyone else's opinion may be to the contrary. But then again, I AM contrary.

i went from a full size 92fs, to a walther ppk .380, to a kel-tek p-11, to a g26. i also threw in a full size 1911 off and on. i currently carry an xd .45 with 4in. barrel. the smaller guns were definitely easier to conceal. but with all the latest and greatest iwb holster options ( i use a crossbreed supertuck) and changing my wardobe a smidge, carrying a full size gun is just as easy. i will be the first to admit however, that when it's late at night and i need to run out real quick, i would like to have a pocket pistol to just throw in my pocket and head out. sometime i'm just to lazy to put on my iwb holster and pants that will support the weight of my xd. sometimes it's nice to just have on gym shorts or sweat pants to just run out real quick. to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It just seems that the attention and gun rag focus is on ever-smaller and ever-lighter. Some of these handguns we have available today are more of a talisman to ward off evil or else a bauble rather than a serious fighting weapon.

I don't like stunted flea-weight pistols and ain't going to carry them regularly. Other folks are welcome to do what they wish regarding their carry choice.
    Oh, please, somebody get me an umbrella to protect my sensitive skin from the sun.........

Serious fighting weapon? Call the experts, quick! Pardon me while I splash you in the face with my hot coffee and rob you blind and steal your weapnos too!

I mean, Wow! It just really tips my pot when folks don't take my weapons seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    At least you are one who knows and understands his priorities. I think the OP refers to the increasing numbers of people who are new to guns and may not have had any time to gain much actual gun savvy who are hitting the gun counters equipped with their brand new permits to legally carry concealed, and have read all about the ultimate in carry comfort in their favorite gun magazine, and by gosh that's what they want to start out with. As for the missus, I bet one of those little 15 oz cuties would be just right for her because of its light weight... You know..something a petite gal can handle. The market is there and the gun manufacturers have responded. I'm just not seeing many of them in use at the range. I personally have 2 of them. I'll put a few rounds through them just to stay in touch with them and then move on to punching holes in paper with one of my real guns. I consider them to be occasional shorts and tee shirt guns.
    You are exactly right! And the targets prove it. Most of these people couldnt hit a bear in the arse with a bass fiddle at 10 yards. But little guns are easier for a hard core criminal to stick up your hind end when he takes it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links