Confused - Page 4

Confused

This is a discussion on Confused within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doghandler Oh, please, somebody get me an umbrella to protect my sensitive skin from the sun......... Serious fighting weapon? Call the experts, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Oh, please, somebody get me an umbrella to protect my sensitive skin from the sun.........

Serious fighting weapon? Call the experts, quick! Pardon me while I splash you in the face with my hot coffee and rob you blind and steal your weapnos too!

I mean, Wow! It just really tips my pot when folks don't take my weapons seriously.

Apparently it does, Doghandler.

Why do you speak of splashing hot coffee on fellow forum members and robbing them so?

Makes no difference though. The teeny-weeny pistol baubles are still less than desirable if one actually has to use them in an emergency.

There was a thread here on the Forum a week or so back about sayings that people don't like. Here's one that I never liked.

"The small pistol that is carried beats the larger pistol that is left at home" is one that I think is quite foolish. If the average person is willing to compromise to the point of regularly carrying some of the stunted, ill-handling mutants that are sold for concealed carry pistols then he's not really serious about protecting himself. He seeks ease rather than effectiveness. He's not someone I'd rely on to save my hide either.

They are suitable as BUGs, not as the dedicated daily toter.

It's only an opinion and geezers can hold opinions. Y'all carry whatever trips your trigger.
    glockman10mm, wmhawth and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Climate is a big factor. Up in MN you can hide a large one under a jacket or coat about 9 months of the year. You can get a coat with large pockets if that is your desire.

Here, 104 on a good day May- Sept; 85 on a good day most of the rest of the year. No cover garment. Its jeans and T shirt, or for the younger folks maybe cut-offs. Smart Carry? In this heat? Belly band? In this heat? Stick something in your waist band and perspiration kills it and you.

Extra weight--- its bad enough getting from your front door to the car and the car to the store without extra anything.

Different strokes for different folks. I need something that works with pocket carry. Heck, I love the G17, but its not for me.
    Yeah, I gotta agree, it would be real easy to carry a shotgun under a nice winter coat 9 months a year but we dont get that option. I remember wearing shorts on Christmas day a few times! I can't handle a cover garment in the summer, not working outside, I'd pass out and fall over. The Smart carry works but you have to dry it each night and carry a gun thats not going to have an issue with sweat.
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Figure me out

I carry both Glock 23 & SW 337,,,, sometimes at same time

Guess I just like guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Oh, please, somebody get me an umbrella to protect my sensitive skin from the sun.........

Serious fighting weapon? Call the experts, quick! Pardon me while I splash you in the face with my hot coffee and rob you blind and steal your weapnos too!

I mean, Wow! It just really tips my pot when folks don't take my weapons seriously.
    Is there a point somewhere here that I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    At least you are one who knows and understands his priorities. I think the OP refers to the increasing numbers of people who are new to guns and may not have had any time to gain much actual gun savvy who are hitting the gun counters equipped with their brand new permits to legally carry concealed, and have read all about the ultimate in carry comfort in their favorite gun magazine, and by gosh that's what they want to start out with. As for the missus, I bet one of those little 15 oz cuties would be just right for her because of its light weight... You know..something a petite gal can handle. The market is there and the gun manufacturers have responded. I'm just not seeing many of them in use at the range. I personally have 2 of them. I'll put a few rounds through them just to stay in touch with them and then move on to punching holes in paper with one of my real guns. I consider them to be occasional shorts and tee shirt guns.
    Guilty, as charged!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rat-a tat tat View Post
    Iím not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When I started all I had were full size service automatics so thatís what I carried. I never found them hard to conceal or heavy or any of the things I hear nowadays. I prefer a full size sight picture and full size grip. Currently I carry a G23 and thatís as small of a gun as I would ever carry except in a back up role. I know the new wave of pocket guns are a result of the new wave of CCW holders and I get it. I just donít get why most people today seem to think that any gun larger than a box of Chiclets is impossible to carry comfortably and conceal. Of course we didnít have the internet back then telling us what we can and canít accomplish either.
    Well in my 130 years of carrying I can tell you that the the single action revolver will go bang everytime and I just don't get why people insist on carrying these automatic handguns that are going to fail them.
    And in my 200 years of carry I've learned that having anything other than a flint lock pistol, just isn't gentlemanly.
    Bigger is better, why carry anything short of an SBR under your trenchcoat?
    G23, well if you can hide a G22 then you should have at least a G35 on you, afterall there's no more grip length to it.

Technology and opinions change vary over time and between individuals. The guns and the ammunition in them has advanced over the years. You can back as much firepower as a full size 1911 into a subcompact Glock 39. For many people smaller size means they have the gun when they need it and it's not at home in the safe. For some smaller size means they need not explain what that lump was when they greet (anti gun minded) extended family with a hug.

For some on this board, they shoot the G27 and G26 better than your G23 or comparably sized G19, for some that's the case with the compacts vs the full size guns. Some folks have smaller hands than you and I, and may need a smaller single stack gun to comfortably operate and control a firearm.

We're not all the same, it's why you see gun shops carrying more than one make and model of firearm. Those that carry ask for new things, the market adapts and expands, and more people get to carrying. The more people that get to carry the more that they then in turn socialize to firearms, then the more likely it is that you'll be permitted by the government to on occasion to exercise some of your rights.

Glock Certified Armorer

I have no trouble concealing my full size XD 40.

Well, with most of my clothes. But at work I like to conceal deep, and I have some pants that are a bit tight. This combination has me leaning toward picking up a 9mm pocket pistol, probably a CM9.

I don't plan on ditching my full size pistol though, just moving it off-body during business hours. Limiting myself to six rounds of 9mm after being used to carrying 37 rounds of .40 just doesn't compute. But moving entirely off-body doesn't either.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I have no trouble 85 to 90% of the time CCW`ing my G26, but you got ah check this out.

How many weapons - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I have no trouble 85 to 90% of the time CCW`ing my G26, but you got ah check this out.

How many weapons - YouTube
    Talk about packing...but I bet he couldn't even walk!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I kind of got lucky losing 35 lbs. Now I have slacks and shorts that are a size too big. If I want to carry more than my little BG.380 IWB, I have room for my SA XC SC 9MM.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Is there a point somewhere here that I'm missing?
    Oh, yah, the point... Look's like I tossed out a stray round.

What was it that got my pot boiling?... Oh, yah, - Serious fighting weapon.

We can all sit here and brag all we want about how serious we are about our serious fighting weapons - yah, that's great. But in the real world, if Great Gramma, too old and weak to wield her cain as a weapon, too feeble to bring to bear anything more than a .22, but willing to put up a serious fight - this is the world I live in.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Some people add a gun to their lifestyle.

Others adapt their lifestyle to carrying a gun.

Some people can/will dress around their gun.

Others are prohibited/unwilling to dress around their gun.

I'm glad their are more choices since I sometimes find myself in need of a smaller gun (G26) for certain social situations and I find the baby Glock to be just as effective as her larger kin.

Jim

Some people add a gun to their lifestyle.

Others adapt their lifestyle to carrying a gun.

Some people can/will dress around their gun.

Others are prohibited/unwilling to dress around their gun.

I'm glad there are more choices since I sometimes find myself in need of a smaller gun (G26) for certain social situations.

Edit: Common sense says to carry the most effective weapon you can get away with given your circumstances.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rat-a tat tat View Post
    I guess I regret starting this thread. My point was muddled it seems. Oh well live and learn.
    I think this is a good thread, but people with different priorities are sometimes defensive of their choices.

That's OK with me.

Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links