Confused

Confused

This is a discussion on Confused within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Confused

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar

Confused

Iím not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When I started all I had were full size service automatics so thatís what I carried. I never found them hard to conceal or heavy or any of the things I hear nowadays. I prefer a full size sight picture and full size grip. Currently I carry a G23 and thatís as small of a gun as I would ever carry except in a back up role. I know the new wave of pocket guns are a result of the new wave of CCW holders and I get it. I just donít get why most people today seem to think that any gun larger than a box of Chiclets is impossible to carry comfortably and conceal. Of course we didnít have the internet back then telling us what we can and canít accomplish either.

I agree you can carry a 5" 1911 easily. My buddy carries a Glock 22 just fine. Some people probably just don't want to adjust or try anything to make it work. Oh well, I carry my G19 just fine.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

More choices have been developed and accepted in the marketplace, so we can all personalize our selections. Hence more choices are available. That is good. Everybody that had a Model T in 1908 had a black one.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 6th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
    BugDude and gen3 like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Why do you care? I think that may be a better question. No one is forcing you to carry a smaller firearm, nor do they have to carry something they don't feel is comfortable.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Ah yes, the eternal question: "Why doesn't everyone carry exactly what I carry?"

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but not everybody shares your taste in firearms. Different people have different body sizes, abilities, and wardrobe considerations. Some people think 8 rounds of .45 are good, others want 18 rounds of 9mm. Some are happy with .380.

That's just how it is.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    different lifestyles dictate different carry issues. I agree i'm a full size 1911 fan but better to carry as 2" 25 cal then nothing. Guess if i was 25 looked good in mussel shirts and speedos my carry choice might be different.
    RoadKill likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    Many people buy into the "latest and greatest" craze. I can carry 2+ lbs of steel on my hip or 20 oz. It doesn't matter. I use what I feel comfortable with. I may have to adjust my method of carry a bit, but you do what you have to do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Why do you care? I think that may be a better question. No one is forcing you to carry a smaller firearm, nor do they have to carry something they don't feel is comfortable.
    My BP was starting to increase slightly until I read your post, then it dropped quickly and I feel better.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Iím not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When I started all I had were full size service automatics so thatís what I carried. I never found them hard to conceal or heavy or any of the things I hear nowadays. I prefer a full size sight picture and full size grip. Currently I carry a G23 and thatís as small of a gun as I would ever carry except in a back up role. I know the new wave of pocket guns are a result of the new wave of CCW holders and I get it. I just donít get why most people today seem to think that any gun larger than a box of Chiclets is impossible to carry comfortably and conceal. Of course we didnít have the internet back then telling us what we can and canít accomplish either.
    Carry what you want.

IMHO it's foolish to arbitrarily dismiss a LOT of revolvers and Semiautos ( think J frame and PPK ) that were around much longer than 20 years ago
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I’m not sure if this is a question, a statement, or just a rant but here goes. I have been carrying for 20+ years. When I started all I had were full size service automatics so that’s what I carried. I never found them hard to conceal or heavy or any of the things I hear nowadays. I prefer a full size sight picture and full size grip. Currently I carry a G23 and that’s as small of a gun as I would ever carry except in a back up role. I know the new wave of pocket guns are a result of the new wave of CCW holders and I get it. I just don’t get why most people today seem to think that any gun larger than a box of Chiclets is impossible to carry comfortably and conceal. Of course we didn’t have the internet back then telling us what we can and can’t accomplish either.
    I'll take a stab at this one. 1. People are lazy and being able to throw a small .380 in the pocket is a lot easier than strapping on a IWB holster and possibly changing ones wardrobe. This has become true with most women that I have talked to that are much more willing to carry a small .380 because they don't have to adapt their lifestyle to the gun. 2. The gun companies decided that that smaller was better and the CCW public bought in to it. Gun companies are going to give people what they want as long as they will buy it.

If people want to carry those micro compact .380s and such great. If someone wants to carry a full size 1911 good deal. People are going to carry what they are comfortable with. Besides a .380 in the pocket trumps a .45 you left home.
    21bubba likes this.

Back in my day we had to drive RWD cars in the snow in reverse up hill both ways! God bless 4x4 trucks and compact guns but it's your choice if you want to carry a SAA .45 and ride a horse have at it that's the beauty of freedom.

The gun companies decided that that smaller was better and the CCW public bought in to it. Gun companies are going to give people what they want as long as they will buy it.
    That's it. The feather weights are selling. People, many of whom are novices, new to guns seem to want the ultimate in ease of carry. The thing is I seldom see anyone actually practicing with them.

It's becoming less and less about comfort or caliber with me. It's becoming more and more about what is a fight and what am I fighting for.

Too bad it's politically incorrect to carry a baseball bat because that's what the fight feels like to me and I can't think of any other weapon that I am more at home with, so to speak. I have certain expectations,........... you know.

politically incorrect to carry a baseball bat because that's what the fight feels like to me
    Try a Cold Steel City Stick: City Stick : Walking Sticks (Cold Steel)
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 6th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Climate is a big factor. Up in MN you can hide a large one under a jacket or coat about 9 months of the year. You can get a coat with large pockets if that is your desire.

Here, 104 on a good day May- Sept; 85 on a good day most of the rest of the year. No cover garment. Its jeans and T shirt, or for the younger folks maybe cut-offs. Smart Carry? In this heat? Belly band? In this heat? Stick something in your waist band and perspiration kills it and you.

Extra weight--- its bad enough getting from your front door to the car and the car to the store without extra anything.

Different strokes for different folks. I need something that works with pocket carry. Heck, I love the G17, but its not for me.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links