So many sub-compacts, so little time!

This is a discussion on So many sub-compacts, so little time! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been teeter-tottering between an XD and a Glock in .40 caliber Sub-Compact. I do like the simplicity of not having to do anything other than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many sub-compacts, so little time!

So many sub-compacts, so little time!

Been teeter-tottering between an XD and a Glock in .40 caliber Sub-Compact. I do like the simplicity of not having to do anything other than taking aim and squezzing trigger. However, I do want to be fair to other great weapons such as Sig, H&K, and any other that would come highly recommended. I have no problem with any manufacturer that I have just mentioned. They all feel fine to me with minor alterations and I shoot each equally well. The only difference I could see is cost. Is that enough to purchase on? Recomendations please?

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Glock 27. I carry and shoot it regularly. I have a Glock 26 and G17 also at the moment. I've had a G19 and G30 in the past. I love my Glocks and wouldn't change my primary carry brand for the following reasons 1) They are reliable. They always go bang when I pull the trigger. 2) They are tough! I read all about the torture tests they were put through. 3) They don't rust. I live in an area that has very humid summers and I frequently wear my gun next to my skin. 4) I like the consistent trigger pull. 5) They are easy to take apart and easy to clean. and last, 6) They are the origional... they started the plastic revolution and now everyone is still trying to catch up.

Falsemap, Do you use mag extensions on your G27 for better grip and more ammo carry?

I don't. I get a good grip with my two fingers and feel that the 9+1 capacity is good enough for anything I'm likely to encounter. I have thought about carrying a spare mag and when i did I just stuck one in my pocket but it was too bulky (double stack as they are) I may consider carrying a spare on my belt opposite my gun or just slip my NAA .32 in my pocket as a back-up. I do have a 14 round mag for the G27 also.

Thumbs up

I have an XD9sc and a XD40sc (and a XD9 service). Both are amazing weapons that I can not recommend highly enough. I shot the XD9 at the range today and it preformed flawlessly with tight groups at 10-15 yards. For the price, you can't go wrong.

EDIT: pierce pinky extentions are a must.

Had my Glock 27 since May. Put lots of boxes of ammo through it. I use the pierce mag extensions on all my mags. I bought it to carry daily. I carry in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. I really like it.

I occasionally carry a Glock 26 or a 27 but since they are the same thickness as their larger counterparts, I often find myself carrying a Glock 19 or 32 instead. I don't know how you feel about the Kahr line but I carry a PM9 and I absolutely LOVE it. It is well balanced, light weight and carry a serious enough caliber for most social situations. They are worth considering if you are looking for something that you can always carry.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Hey Packerfan, do you notice much difference between the XD9sc and the XD40sc in recoil?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a G27 (use mag extensions) and I have fired the baby XD a good bit. I like the feel of the baby XD much better than the baby Glock.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Also look at the Glock 33, it is definately a POCKET ROCKET!
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

estimber, I have no knowledge of the Kahr or CZ line as far as that goes. What safety devices are used on the Kahr?

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective View Post
    I have a G27 (use mag extensions) and I have fired the baby XD a good bit. I like the feel of the baby XD much better than the baby Glock.
    I agree with this, I like the feel of the xd40sc more than the glock. That being said I sold the xd40sc after getting a taurus pt-145 (probably more of a .45 thing). I do have an xd45 svc and will probably wind up with an xd45sc if id does indeed happen.

I used to have a Glock 26. Excellent gun and I'd buy a Glock again. But I have recently fallen in love with Sigs. I believe all the options mentioned are great but none are built to the same quality as Sigs. They are built to a much higher quality. I compared a Sig 239 and a Glock 26 side by side and found the Sig to be slightly taller and longer but thinner.

Out of Glock and XDs I'd take the XDs though. Better grip, trigger, and mags are much easier to load.

TruPatriot, If you're leaning toward Glock or XD and like their simplicity, make your choice between the two and go with it...while I prefer my Glock 26, I have a friend with three XDs and they are great pistols.

For me and my wife, the simplicity and reliability of the Glock I carry and her S&W 642 are why we chose them...under stress we know we can operate them effectively, and they will perform as advertised.

Regarding mag extension on Glock sub-compacts, I don't like the idea. For me, the hardest thing to hide is the butt of the pistol, so adding more length there defeats the purpose of buying the little sub-compact.

Good luck...I am sure you'll be pleased with whatever you choose...enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by estimber View Post
    Also look at the Glock 33, it is definately a POCKET ROCKET!
    Yeah, I pull mine out when I need to train grip strength ...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links