I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

This is a discussion on I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have some folks here from One Source Tactical. What are their opinions regarding milling XD slides to fit reflexive sights? I didn't see any ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

VIP Member
    We have some folks here from One Source Tactical. What are their opinions regarding milling XD slides to fit reflexive sights? I didn't see any on the site.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have an XDM 9mm that I bought from a friend, he used it for IDPA, which is what I bought it for, I haven't had any issues with it, however, my friend did install some upgrades from springer precision (guide rod (not the tungsten), recoil spring, trigger parts, & the extended mag release).
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Originally Posted by 10thmtn
    Try to do a one-handed reload or failure drill with an XD. It can be more difficult than it needs to be due to the grip safety locking the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    This.

I was at the Magpul Dynamics Dynamic Carbine 1 Course over the weekend, and on Day 3 we were doing empty/malfunctioned rifle transition to handguns, so Costa and Fisher talked about handguns. They both prefer M&Ps, Glocks and 1911s. Costa was talking about striker fired pistols being ideal since the trigger pull is always the same. When asked why he and Fisher didn't like XDs, he replied that they weren't serious combat pistols due to the grip safety because it made one handed manipulation incredibly difficult and nearly impossible under extreme stress.

Take that as you will, as these guys have no affiliation with Glock, Smith & Wesson or Springfield, and they were actually carrying their Nighthawk GRP 1911s at the course.
    1911's have a grip safety as well as the XD. Is there a fundamental difference on how the grip safteys work in performing one handed reloads & failure drills?A serious question, I'm not that familiar w/ 1911s.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Try to do a one-handed reload or failure drill with an XD. It can be more difficult than it needs to be due to the grip safety locking the slide.

1911's have a grip safety as well as the XD. Is there a fundamental difference on how the grip safteys work in performing one handed reloads & failure drills?A serious question, I'm not that familiar w/ 1911s.
    The only difference is that the grip safety on a 1911 does not prohibit the slide from moving, whereas with the XD the slide will not move without the grip safety depressed. So it is significantly different in that regard.

What I think we are missing here is intent of use. Every person has to decide what they use their tools for, and what tool is best for the job. I own 2 XDs and my EDC is a 9sc, and they both work flawlessly. (The 9 has around 5k rounds through it) I am a suburbanite and not in the military anymore, and cannot see a situation arising that I will have 1500 rounds through a gun in a weekend without cleaning. It's just not on my radar. Also, injured one handed reloads are not typically something that I am thinking a lot about. I get the idea that we must be prepared for any situation, but in my life the chance that (1) I will need the reload, (2) after being injured to the extent that I don't have use of my off hand, and (3) have the time and cover to reload but not to retreat is so remote that it is not a concern.

The same IMO applies to 50 or 100 yard pistol shots. Great for LEO or military, great for TEOTWAWKI transitioning from rifle to pistol, but for the real world of suburbanite reality it it perhaps beyond the scope of the possible.
    mauser1959 likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OK better, Question...Anyone here every actually have XD problems? Something more concrete than I asked so and so and he said...and I don't really care about the one handed reload thing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    OK better, Question...Anyone here every actually have XD problems? Something more concrete than I asked so and so and he said...and I don't really care about the one handed reload thing.
    I have not personally, because I do not own XD's. But, I have seen a lot first hand. I work extreme part time as the repair man at a local shop. I did manage full time at one of the largest stores and ranges in the country while going to college. I've also put in countless range hours both attending and teaching both LEO only and civilian gun schools. I did the same in the military. The main issue I've seen with the the XD line is the fact that they do simply lock up. The trigger mech, and what I assume would be the safety mechanism tend to lock up after some hard usage. It typically happens on the second day, which leads me to believe that if you are running an XD hard, you need to do more than field strip the gun and clean it like you would a Glock, M&P, Sig etc. To be fair and honest, I've never took one a part to try and figure out the culprit...I just don't care too. I've never been to an XD armorer course (is there even such a thing?) and the internals seem to be a little complicated, so I've never bothered to explore it. Also in the interest of fariness, the "M" models seem a little bit better, but still not up to par IMO.

Now let me say this, before the XD fan club starts blowing up my PM box, email and generally making a nuisance of themselves; The XD will serve 95% of the general gun consumer just fine. The casual target practice and weekend range trips are what it is built for. If you plan on attending some serious gun schools or plan on shooting your entire stockpile of ammo out your windows killing zombies, I'd look else where.

To me, the XD was all hype from the beginning. Substituting fluff for substance fools a lot of people. Taurus has been doing it a lot longer with success.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If people are so sensitive about their emotional investment in a firearm, that's on you, not me.

BTW...did you know your gun is a whore?

Anyone who gives it a mag of ammo it will turn tricks for. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least, but I guess that's a sore point for some who love their guns...

I don't know what ya'll are talking about, My XD has a bazillian rounds through it (OK, maybe two boxes, I use internet numbers) and its way awesome. It even came with some sweet gear. I use that holster and clip holder all the time. I was going to buy an Glock, but the XD gear swung my choice. It was like a My First Pistol set all in one box. How extreme is that! That little firing pin thingy that sticks out the back is so cool looking, and it lets me know I'm about to shoot something. Its extreme! Its so extreme, that police and military are now going to the XD. I heard that the Seals dumped the Sigs and are now using the XDm. Delta Force has been using them since the Bosnian conflict. They were battlefield pick ups, as the Beretta's jammed up. They ditched their M4's and Berettas for AK's and XD's. That's still secret I guess, nobody wants to talk about that!
    I can't wait to get some lasers and stuff to put on it, it will really help the aim.

I don't know the company that you had contacted, but it sounds like most gun shops. "Don't buy that because I don't like it." I know several people with XDs with no issues, the only one being a new shooter who was limp wresting a bit and kept getting stove pipes, but thats a function of a lot of slam fires. Just because one vendor doesn't make a trick slide for a specific gun doesn't mean its not a great weapon. They could just focus on Glock because it has a higher market penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post

MinistrMalic answered your question.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

XD Trigger freeze?

Interesting timing, what?

OP, I'll add my assurances that David Bowie is NOT an "armchair commando", nor is he trying to promote any sales. He has more work than he can handle, because he's not just a custom gun builder. He trains others pretty much full time, as well.

He gave you a curt, yet informational reply. He probably replied via his phone when he was on a range somewhere. I've been dealing with the man for four years, and that's just the way he is in e-mails. Get him on the phone and he loosens up a bit; unless he's pressed for time.

Understand this... he DOESN'T CARE what you shoot. He DOESN'T CARE if he sells you a conversion. You asked a question, he gave a truthful reply. The information regarding the Serbo-Croat Special failures is out there if you care to expend a bit of effort looking for it. But as you have been told, you probably should not worry about it. You probably won't use it hard, and are not concerned about the grip safety immobilization "feature". Your gun will probably serve you well. Probably...

I was rather amused regarding the clueless comments you received about Bowie being a huckster, etc. Gee... just like GlockTalk, but more polite. Bowie does not offer ready-made parts. He will build your gun AFTER you and he have discussed it (and you have made a deposit). He does not work on XDs, and neither does the other major "producer" of fighting pistols with RDS (red dot sights)- TDI. FWIW, I seem to recall hearing that part of the problem with the Serbo-Croat Special (aside from its annoying tendency to quit working on occasion) was that the placement of parts in the slide was not conducive to inletting the RDS. This is most certainly the problem with HKs, and is why the two firms involved won't do them either.

But if you just want to TRY an RDS, then take the advice to buy a Burris FastFire and rear dovetail mount for same.

Last edited by JD; November 8th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well I can only speak from what mine have done. I have around 5k through my 9SC, never taken it further apart than a field strip, though I do blow it out with an air compressor after cleaning from time to time. I probably clean it every 3-400 rounds give or take, which for me takes a month or two unless we go make bangity bangity bang with friends. It has had precisely one malfunction caused by a squib reload in that time. It's about medium ugly from holster wear but goes bang every time I hit the bang switch. I feed it the cheapest, nastiest ammo I can find. It just goes and goes. YMMV. I have no hate for other makers, it just takes me a lot more concentration to run a Glock and I don't like the feel of the M&P; it shoots poorly for me. And Caleb at Gun Nuts put about 5k rounds through a XDM 5.25 in a month of hard use and it ran the entire time, such that he is using it for IDPA this year I believe.

I own a high dollar 1911 too...and it is a whole lot more finicky than my XD.

Good night, it always surprises me how emotional people get over their brand loyalty to guns. I agree with the sentiment that it's a tool and should be treated as such. I just choose the tool that fits my hand and gets the job done. You do the same and keep your eyes on the horizon.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jes3se View Post
    I don't know the company that you had contacted, but it sounds like most gun shops. "Don't buy that because I don't like it." I know several people with XDs with no issues, the only one being a new shooter who was limp wresting a bit and kept getting stove pipes, but thats a function of a lot of slam fires. Just because one vendor doesn't make a trick slide for a specific gun doesn't mean its not a great weapon. They could just focus on Glock because it has a higher market penetration.
    I'm sorry, but just how is a limp wristing /stove piping a
    "Function of a lot of slam fires"?

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

I believe what you guys say about mr Bowie. Through all of my googlings about what could cause an XD to suddenly become jammed up, the only thing I see is the roll pin that acts as the striker retainer. (It's allready got the beefier aftermarket version) I have heard of XD's locking up on reassembly due to the guide rod not being properly centered...hmmm still confounds me. I'm continuing to do research but I'm just not finding much.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have not personally, because I do not own XD's. But, I have seen a lot first hand. I work extreme part time as the repair man at a local shop. I did manage full time at one of the largest stores and ranges in the country while going to college. I've also put in countless range hours both attending and teaching both LEO only and civilian gun schools. I did the same in the military. The main issue I've seen with the the XD line is the fact that they do simply lock up. The trigger mech, and what I assume would be the safety mechanism tend to lock up after some hard usage. It typically happens on the second day, which leads me to believe that if you are running an XD hard, you need to do more than field strip the gun and clean it like you would a Glock, M&P, Sig etc. To be fair and honest, I've never took one a part to try and figure out the culprit...I just don't care too. I've never been to an XD armorer course (is there even such a thing?) and the internals seem to be a little complicated, so I've never bothered to explore it. Also in the interest of fariness, the "M" models seem a little bit better, but still not up to par IMO.

Now let me say this, before the XD fan club starts blowing up my PM box, email and generally making a nuisance of themselves; The XD will serve 95% of the general gun consumer just fine. The casual target practice and weekend range trips are what it is built for. If you plan on attending some serious gun schools or plan on shooting your entire stockpile of ammo out your windows killing zombies, I'd look else where.

To me, the XD was all hype from the beginning. Substituting fluff for substance fools a lot of people. Taurus has been doing it a lot longer with success.
    That gun was given mediocrity status by every gun rag I read when it was an HS 2000. Springfield brand engineered it and it became "Gun of the Year". They are poorly balanced, and just dont feel good. If you want ugly blocky plastic, at least get a Glock or HK who have been doing it right for way more years.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links