I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

This is a discussion on I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle I believe what you guys say about mr Bowie. Through all of my googlings about what could cause an XD to ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I believe what you guys say about mr Bowie. Through all of my googlings about what could cause an XD to suddenly become jammed up, the only thing I see is the roll pin that acts as the striker retainer. (It's allready got the beefier aftermarket version) I have heard of XD's locking up on reassembly due to the guide rod not being properly centered...hmmm still confounds me. I'm continuing to do research but I'm just not finding much.
    Not everything is on Google.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If people are so sensitive about their emotional investment in a firearm, that's on you, not me.

BTW...did you know your gun is a whore?

Anyone who gives it a mag of ammo it will turn tricks for. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least, but I guess that's a sore point for some who love their guns...

I prefer to think of it as a reliable date......

I own both Glocks and Springfield XD/XDM's and I love them both ! XD's are great, never had a problem with mine. They are a great design and are giving Glock a run for their money ! The only thing Glock does better is their finish, other than that they are about equal.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    I own both Glocks and Springfield XD/XDM's and I love them both ! XD's are great, never had a problem with mine. They are a great design and are giving Glock a run for their money ! The only thing Glock does better is their finish, other than that they are about equal.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Springfield did the best job of anyone else of copying the Glock, and then complicating it with the grip safety and stupid cartoonish look. At least the Croations are happy. At least S&W's copy has some useful additions to it, although they have desecrated the hallow name of M&P by assigning it to that Glock copy.

Lets face it, the two most inovative and copied designs are the 1911 and Glock. They are what all the others are compared to. Theres a reason for that.
    AZ Hawk and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Here is an email exchange as of recent between Mr. Bowie and myself. The "trying to sell me something" comment was rather stupid of me not knowing who I was talking about, so I wanted you all to know what kind of person I was dealing with. Agree with him or not, I definitly respect the guy and he still wants to help me. :)

My Email:

Hello again,

I'm still interested in a Glock or M&P 9mm as we dicussed but for the time being my XD45C is my primary carry. What you said about it having issues has me a little disconcerted, would you care to elaborate on issues you may have seen with them, please? I haven't had problems but I want to know what to look out for. The only issue I have ever heard of has been locking up after reassembly due to the guide rod not being properly centered, and the striker retaining roll pin breaking. I replaced the roll pin with the beefier 3 layer powder river version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Shannon

His reply:

Just so you know I am not trying to just sell something. That is not how I work. I tell the truth about guns peoples lives are too importent to pull punches about guns and quality. The XD has many problems not all exhibit them but too many to be a trusted item. Plus the grip safety also locks the slide so if you need to run the gun injured or with a screwed up grip for some other reason you may not be ablt to fire the gun and also not be able to clear a malfunction. I only know of one police dept. that issues the XD and it was because the chief had alot of contacts there and got them for very little. While the XD is a very fine shooting gun its quality leaves alot to be desired gun to gun. I used to run one myself but after having many extractor failures and seeing its grip safety issues I quit. I built the first custom XD's ever done way before Springer or anyone else and I still build them but there are better platforms out there. Just look around the country and see how many departments issue glocks or M&P's and then how many issue the XD or XDm.that is a clue. There is no reason for me to say to buy or work on one gun or the other from a "I am selling something standpoint" because I build all of them so that leaves only my years of teaching, SWAT and working on them to see hundreds of guns a year and see what runs well and what does not. Not one or two copies but alot of them. I can and will happily build your XD but I can't feel good about recommending a gun that I have seen to be a problem in hard use and realistic situations. I feel I owe that to the people I teach and do work for. I try to educate if some are put off by that I am sorry but A gun stor commando I am not.

My reply:

Looks like you saw or heard about my post on Defensive Carry...well I'll be honest I am an avid firearms enthuseast but I don't know all the names in the business and I was not familiar with you. Seems that little trying to "sell me something," comment was a bit fast and loose. Obviously you are highly regarded by people on that forum who I would trust with an honest answer. I didn't know all the facts about what you do so I sincerely apologize, that was very poor and impulsive choice of words to say the least. I am also planning on posting some of this email as a testiment to your customer service, if I may have your permision. FYI now I think I need an M&P but I am not sure about the red dot setup, do you feel it is a viable tool as a carry weapon? My thoughts are tending towards function and simplicity but I think I will keep you in mind for the pistol purchase, refinish in cerekote and perhaps some internal refinements. Now I just have to get back in the states from the 5 week trip in Norway and clear the budget with the department of aqusitions (the wife.) Thank you very much.

Humbly,

Shannon Dowdell

His reply:

Yes a customer forwarded it to me. I had never heard of the site. I do take very very seriuosly my recommendations. They come from the heart with no allegances to any company. I teach alot of people from beginning citizens to SWAT teams to military and take every thing I teach and tell them about tactics and tools very seriouse. I always tell customers somewhat light heartedly but still truthfully I will gladly take every dime you make but I will not mislead or lie to you to do it. If you wuld still like to work with me I will gladly do your gun to you needs. I do like the RDS to carry daily and on SWAT I am the one who started the idea many years ago as a fighting idea. All of my working guns carry a leupold deltapoint as does my wifes daily carry M&P9c.
    Feel free to publish what you see as fair.

VIP Member
    I was one who forwarded this thread to Mr. Bowie. Glad you were able to have some follow-up with him. When I met with him about doing my Glock 17, he quickly sold me on the idea of the Delta Point, in spite of my initial insistence on another, non-battery-powered sight.

Administrator
    Is this the place where I get to say "I told you so"?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes.

Now, can we do something about the emotional investment in tools?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yep...

Yes.

A bit too soon

VIP Member
    Yes.

I resemble that remark, since some of my best friends are tools.

I used to have a seed of doubt about the Glock. So, I put it through hell. I repeatedly submerged it in sea water and let air dry, buried it for days, fired it constantly without cleaning it, and just in generally totally abused it just to see if it could be trusted. I even through it up in the air as high as I could and let it land and bounce around on solid concrete.

And it was fun! And, it still works and cleaned up as good as new. My faith is complete. No more doubt.
    Mike1956 and AZ Hawk like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Mr. Bowie appears to be the real deal. You probably never heard of him because he doesnt need to advertise. I have talked to friends who have taken his classes, and have never heard one negative word about him. The pictures of his pistol work obviously show his quality and attention to detail.

Another thing that makes me think they are the real deal, is JD. Limatunes, and Sixto have all attended courses there, and speak very highly of them. Ive been around enough people on internet forums to know smoke blowing and these three do not strike me as people who would throw good money after bad. I will attend TDI at somepoint when my finances allow, and will also hope to have the privilege of Mr. Bowie doing a build for me.

You falling on your sword and posting it here shows a lot of class. Good for you. Good luck with your build.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Mr. Bowie appears to be the real deal. You probably never heard of him because he doesnt need to advertise. I have talked to friends who have taken his classes, and have never heard one negative word about him. The pictures of his pistol work obviously show his quality and attention to detail.

Another thing that makes me think they are the real deal, is JD. Limatunes, and Sixto have all attended courses there, and speak very highly of them. Ive been around enough people on internet forums to know smoke blowing and these three do not strike me as people who would throw good money after bad. I will attend TDI at somepoint when my finances allow, and will also hope to have the privilege of Mr. Bowie doing a build for me.

You falling on your sword and posting it here shows a lot of class. Good for you. Good luck with your build.
    Appreciate it

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links