Defensive Carry banner

I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

7K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  Doodle 
#1 ·
Ok so a while back someone posted the need/want of a wonder pistol with a super snazzy red dot. Through conversation someone recommended a Glock from TSD Combat systems and then someone brought up Bowie tactical and their work with m&p's and glocks with similar gunsmithing/red dots.

Out of passing curiousity I emailed Bowie Tactical asking is there an after market slide for my XD 45C and can a simlar red dot sutup be mounted. His reply was a bit shocking..."no slides availible for the xd. it is a poor gun anyway for fighting alot of problems when you really start running it hard in real conditions. glock or M&P is way better choice." What the heck don't I know about my beloved XD? OK mind you he's obviously trying to sell me something. Seems to me like i remember a certain guns and ammo torture test where an xd 9 ran through 20000 rounds plus the revered glock torture test without a hickup and not only was the editor impressed with the platform, he took THAT gun and made it his nightstand gun. OK so I heard there where rare occasions of the striker retaining pin breaking so I upgraded that to the beefier powder river version, other than a wrap grip treatment it's stock and has never failed me.

Does anyone know anything I don't here?

Springfield Armory XD Sales Video and Torture test - YouTube

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, he's got a shelf full of Glock and M&P slides he needs to unload. And if every gun reviewer bought all the "nightstand" guns they claim to, that would be one big nightstand.

#5 ·
For starters, TDI (including Dave Bowie) doesn't promote the XD/XDM as they don't like the fact that the grip safety has to be depressed to work the slide. They do a lot of multi-day, high round count classes and do see trends in failures. I can assure you that Dave is not just trying to make a buck. He's a SWAT officer first, a trainer @ TDI second, and a smith last (at least that was my take on things).

We all have our opinions, just ask him what he thinks of HK. :wink: I politely thanked him for his thoughts and said something along the lines of "that may be, but I like mine and shoot it pretty well".

For your XD/XDM check out Burris and get a Fast Fire and XD mount. You wont get the BUIS but you can play with the dot.

#22 ·
For starters, TDI (including Dave Bowie) doesn't promote the XD/XDM as they don't like the fact that the grip safety has to be depressed to work the slide.
This.

Try to do a one-handed reload or failure drill with an XD. It can be more difficult than it needs to be due to the grip safety locking the slide.

#6 ·
I would not worry.XD is a good gun,just because an 'expert' does not favor it means little in the real world.

#7 ·
Sounds like a case of "gun shop commando" syndrome. I love when clerks tell me why this gun or that gun sucks and how they have to send so many back for warranty work. They are all experts yet when I go in to order a specific gun they usually are unaware its even offered by a manufacture. All they know is whats sitting in the case in front of them. I just smile and nod at them and move along. Shoot what you feel good with and don't worry.

#11 ·
I will stake my entire reputation here that Bowie is no "gun shop commando", and the man does know more about fighting pistols than any of us gun forum commandos. I have seen first hand what the man speaks of and hold the same opinion based on observing the same things. And no, I do not bow at the alter of Benner, Bowie or TDI in general; I've had my
disagreements with all of them.
To be fair, the TDI boys did beat the XD drum when they first came out, but then time and experience righted that ship. That was one of the few times I got to say "I told you so" to those guys. Just like the AR's, there are consumer grade pistols, and there are professional grade pistols. Choose what suits you best is all I have to say about that.

#27 ·
Could you elaborate a bit? What issues have you seen with XD's?

#12 ·
What the heck don't I know about my beloved XD?
You have way too much emotional investment in your gun.

It's a tool. Use it, run it hard and learn it. If your gun doesn't malf or choke, great. If it does, figure out why, and either fix it or dump it.

Either you are the weapon and the gun is a tool, or the gun is a weapon or you are a tool.

Which is it?

#14 ·
Well, that's pretty stiff. My way or the highway type BS? I've never owned an XD, nor will I ever, but I'm sure they work pretty well for those who like them. IMO, anyone who shoots anything other than a Glock is a clown. See how that works?

#13 ·
I've shot the XD (not my own firearm) & I enjoyed shooting it & (first impression) I liked the grip angle but, (for sure) I never put nearly enough rounds through one to give a YEA or a NAY on it. So...I have no personal qualified opinion on the gun.

#23 ·
I have well over 1,000 rounds through my XD40sc and never had any issues at all. I've been very accurate with it since the first shot. My confidence in my weapon is established by my own experience with it.

#24 ·
I don't like XDs. It is a personal preference issue. It has nothing to do with quality.

I don't like Glocks. It is a personal preference issue. It has nothing to do with quality.

OldVet nailed it with the first reply to the OP.

#25 ·
Keep the gun and don't worry about it. How many failures have you really heard about with XD's vs how many are out there ? They are a good gun. It's just that there are lots of other good guns out there too, and some prefer this over that.

I've shot everything imaginable in my Xd, and it would shoot any ammo I put in it.... and kept right on going. I know I trust it.

#26 ·
Thanks all except for that weapons vs tool thing: )

Reactions: mauser1959
#29 ·
When it comes to firearms everyone has an opinion. Yes I listen and take in what those more "schooled" than I am say but I still find what works for me.

What you have to remember to some running a gun hard is 200 rounds in a range session, to others running a gun hard is 1500 rounds over a weekend, in the mud, dirt, snow and so on without cleaning the weapons systems. There would be a great difference in opinions between what is reliable or not.

I have never owned or even shot an XD but it did remind me of this.

A question was raised on another forum in regards to "I know the Glock is King, but how are other pistols holding up in your classes?

XD/M
Px4
SR9
P250
M&P
Hi Point (kidding...)

The following response is from the owner himself who sees a lot of rounds put downrange. I have no reason to doubt his opinion.

XD/M - The 9s "work" kinda all other calibers suck.
Px4 - Shoddy design. Runs though.
SR9 - Not enough data
P250 - They work.
M&P - M&Ps are the only gun on the list I would carry willingly.
Hi Point - Better than XD

Does that mean that I would not use an XD for a daily carry nope I would test it and if it worked for me great and the same should be for you. If a system works for you and you are happy with it enjoy it. The same system may not work for someone else but that is on them.

#30 ·
There isn't a gun on the shelf that I would trade my XD for. It is my daily carry, and it is an amazing piece of work. It goes bang and it hits the target. It is like a tank. Also, I personally think the grip safety is a huge plus on this platform. I would love to see some statistics behind someone who thinks the gun isn't reliable. I think there is enough information out there to prove otherwise...

As for not liking it for it's ergonomics, safety features, or looks, well.... Thats what makes the world go 'round.

#31 ·
We have some folks here from One Source Tactical. What are their opinions regarding milling XD slides to fit reflexive sights? I didn't see any on the site.

#32 ·
I have an XDM 9mm that I bought from a friend, he used it for IDPA, which is what I bought it for, I haven't had any issues with it, however, my friend did install some upgrades from springer precision (guide rod (not the tungsten), recoil spring, trigger parts, & the extended mag release).

#35 ·
OK better, Question...Anyone here every actually have XD problems? Something more concrete than I asked so and so and he said...and I don't really care about the one handed reload thing.

#36 ·
I have not personally, because I do not own XD's. But, I have seen a lot first hand. I work extreme part time as the repair man at a local shop. I did manage full time at one of the largest stores and ranges in the country while going to college. I've also put in countless range hours both attending and teaching both LEO only and civilian gun schools. I did the same in the military. The main issue I've seen with the the XD line is the fact that they do simply lock up. The trigger mech, and what I assume would be the safety mechanism tend to lock up after some hard usage. It typically happens on the second day, which leads me to believe that if you are running an XD hard, you need to do more than field strip the gun and clean it like you would a Glock, M&P, Sig etc. To be fair and honest, I've never took one a part to try and figure out the culprit...I just don't care too. I've never been to an XD armorer course (is there even such a thing?) and the internals seem to be a little complicated, so I've never bothered to explore it. Also in the interest of fariness, the "M" models seem a little bit better, but still not up to par IMO.

Now let me say this, before the XD fan club starts blowing up my PM box, email and generally making a nuisance of themselves; The XD will serve 95% of the general gun consumer just fine. The casual target practice and weekend range trips are what it is built for. If you plan on attending some serious gun schools or plan on shooting your entire stockpile of ammo out your windows killing zombies, I'd look else where.

To me, the XD was all hype from the beginning. Substituting fluff for substance fools a lot of people. Taurus has been doing it a lot longer with success.

#37 ·
If people are so sensitive about their emotional investment in a firearm, that's on you, not me.

BTW...did you know your gun is a whore?

Anyone who gives it a mag of ammo it will turn tricks for. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least, but I guess that's a sore point for some who love their guns...

#38 ·
I don't know what ya'll are talking about, My XD has a bazillian rounds through it (OK, maybe two boxes, I use internet numbers) and its way awesome. It even came with some sweet gear. I use that holster and clip holder all the time. I was going to buy an Glock, but the XD gear swung my choice. It was like a My First Pistol set all in one box. How extreme is that! That little firing pin thingy that sticks out the back is so cool looking, and it lets me know I'm about to shoot something. Its extreme! Its so extreme, that police and military are now going to the XD. I heard that the Seals dumped the Sigs and are now using the XDm. Delta Force has been using them since the Bosnian conflict. They were battlefield pick ups, as the Beretta's jammed up. They ditched their M4's and Berettas for AK's and XD's. That's still secret I guess, nobody wants to talk about that!
I can't wait to get some lasers and stuff to put on it, it will really help the aim.

#39 ·
I don't know the company that you had contacted, but it sounds like most gun shops. "Don't buy that because I don't like it." I know several people with XDs with no issues, the only one being a new shooter who was limp wresting a bit and kept getting stove pipes, but thats a function of a lot of slam fires. Just because one vendor doesn't make a trick slide for a specific gun doesn't mean its not a great weapon. They could just focus on Glock because it has a higher market penetration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.