I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt - Page 5

I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

This is a discussion on I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have three Bowie G19s, all with the full Signature Package. Two of them also have Trijicon RDS holographs inlet into the slide. He has ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

I have three Bowie G19s, all with the full Signature Package. Two of them also have Trijicon RDS holographs inlet into the slide. He has my G30 as we speak, for the "full treatment" (including the RDS install).

Granted, we ARE talking about Glocks here, and you can only polish a turd so much. But Bowie's work is exemplary. I have examined perhaps a half-dozen different "versions" of a grip reduction, and Bowie's is head and shoulders above them all. That specifically includes the Robar offering. A pal has a G30 done by them, and the grip reduction part is quite disappointing.

Bowie understands what a carry pistol is all about, and offers mods accordingly. Take, for instance, the slide contouring. At first, I thought that was needless fluff, but it came with the "package", so what the heck... turns out it DOES make a slight difference in the gun's "printability".

And, he stands behind his work. My first one, which has the regular sights, began to chip and peel its re-finish (inside the slide) fairly soon. Bowie immediately told me to send the slide back and he would take care of it. But the flaking/peeling was all on the inside, and knowing that the tenifer was still there, I elected to live with it rather than go to the trouble of sending it back. That was four years and close to 10K rounds ago. It got worse, then stopped "spreading". The pistol has yet to malfunction in all of that. But every time I talk with David, he wants to know when I'm going to send that slide back so he can re-finish it.

."no slides availible for the xd.
    This part's correct. I've never heard of an aftermarket slide for the XD.

Truth to say, I'm only aware of aftermarket slides for Glocks. And, of course, 1911s, which are practically "open source" hardware now anyway.

it is a poor gun anyway for fighting alot of problems when you really start running it hard in real conditions. glock or M&P is way better choice."
    This part, ehhh.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Springfield did the best job of anyone else of copying the Glock, and then complicating it with the grip safety and stupid cartoonish look. At least the Croations are happy. At least S&W's copy has some useful additions to it, although they have desecrated the hallow name of M&P by assigning it to that Glock copy.

Lets face it, the two most inovative and copied designs are the 1911 and Glock. They are what all the others are compared to. Theres a reason for that.
    The only groups using the XD are the Croatian military and the Iraqi police (lol) along with a few American police departments. That tells me all I need to know in regards to the XD's status as a "combat pistol..."
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; November 10th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

OK so now I have to trade in my XD for Commander or a Glock?
    Semper Fi

LOL if I believed everything I read or heard on the internet I would not have purchased some of the guns I have now !!! Instead of a *seed* there are *plantations* of doubt for both Taurus and Keltec, yet I still purchased some of their products and have been very happy with them. God Bless

Even if it looks like a cross between a Star Trek phaser and a squirt gun, has a loaded chamber indicator that looks like the guts are coming out, and a palm safety that locks up the slide so you have to lose your shooting grip to operate it, at least they supply you with the cheapest holster and mag carrier on the market, which is fitting to carry it in, and call it a "package deal".
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

JD
    Administrator
    Even if it looks like a cross between a Star Trek phaser and a squirt gun, has a loaded chamber indicator that looks like the guts are coming out, and a palm safety that locks up the slide so you have to lose your shooting grip to operate it, at least they supply you with the cheapest holster and mag carrier on the market, which is fitting to carry it in, and call it a "package deal".

...actually, you don't have to lose your shooting grip to operate it. It's more of the opposite, if you loose your shooting grip, you won't be able to operate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ...actually, you don't have to lose your shooting grip to operate it. It's more of the opposite, if you loose your shooting grip, you won't be able to operate it.
    Thanks for the clarification, but the reverse scenario doesnt sound much better.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    LOL if I believed everything I read or heard on the internet I would not have purchased some of the guns I have now !!! Instead of a *seed* there are *plantations* of doubt for both Taurus and Keltec, yet I still purchased some of their products and have been very happy with them. God Bless
    If you're happy, I'm happy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for the clarification, but the reverse scenario doesnt sound much better.
    In that aspect, you can have a pretty sloppy hold on it and the gun still be ready to fire. The only times I've had issue with the grip safety is when doing some complicated clearance drills, mainly clearing double feeds, and I can see why TDI sees some issues with the gun given their method of clearing double feeds.

What TDI teaches for clearing double feeds is that one should lock the slide back first and then strip the mag, by locking the slide back it relieves some tension on the cartridges jammed up in the feed way. To do this one has to shift the grip a little to engage the slide stop, and in doing so the grip safety may become active and prevent the cycling of the slide...

In all fairness the same can be said of the 1911. If the firing grip is compromised the gun may not fire as the grip safety may be actively blocking the trigger from traveling, we've seen built up grip safeties such as the "Speed bump" etc to help overcome this, the XD/XDM safety sticks out a pretty good bit and I haven't had much troubles since getting more familiar with the gun. Similarly a 1911 shooter has to be aware that the thumb safety (in it's original state) locks the slide. I've seen some people so ingrained in activating the safety when the firearm is off target that when bringing the gun back for malfunction clearing activate the thumb safety and thus render the slide immovable until the safety is removed.

All in all it's about being proficient with your weapon system of choice. I don't worry about those like TSIWRX with 10K+ through their gun, it's the "1Krds over 6 years" crowd I'm worried about

All in all it's about being proficient with your weapon system of choice. I don't worry about those like TSIWRX with 10K+ through their gun, it's the "1Krds over 6 years" crowd I'm worried about

I whole heartedly agree there. I will have to check out that school. I am due for a little training, and it sounds like my kind of thing.

JD
    Administrator

I whole heartedly agree there. I will have to check out that school. I am due for a little training, and it sounds like my kind of thing.
    If we were closer we'd probably be there every other month.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If we were closer we'd probably be there every other month.
    I would love to as well but money and time are always an issue...I am defenitly due though.

Administrator
    Yay for TDI being in my backyard.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well I'll tell ya...I'm glad I asked the question because this thread has been a bit eye opening. I love this forum...full of people in the know...I thought I was kinda in the know...maybe not.

Edit...a special thanks to you all.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links