I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

This is a discussion on I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so a while back someone posted the need/want of a wonder pistol with a super snazzy red dot. Through conversation someone recommended a Glock ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I hate it when someone plants a tiny seed of doubt

Ok so a while back someone posted the need/want of a wonder pistol with a super snazzy red dot. Through conversation someone recommended a Glock from TSD Combat systems and then someone brought up Bowie tactical and their work with m&p's and glocks with similar gunsmithing/red dots.

Out of passing curiousity I emailed Bowie Tactical asking is there an after market slide for my XD 45C and can a simlar red dot sutup be mounted. His reply was a bit shocking..."no slides availible for the xd. it is a poor gun anyway for fighting alot of problems when you really start running it hard in real conditions. glock or M&P is way better choice." What the heck don't I know about my beloved XD? OK mind you he's obviously trying to sell me something. Seems to me like i remember a certain guns and ammo torture test where an xd 9 ran through 20000 rounds plus the revered glock torture test without a hickup and not only was the editor impressed with the platform, he took THAT gun and made it his nightstand gun. OK so I heard there where rare occasions of the striker retaining pin breaking so I upgraded that to the beefier powder river version, other than a wrap grip treatment it's stock and has never failed me.

Does anyone know anything I don't here?

Springfield Armory XD Sales Video and Torture test - YouTube

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yeah, he's got a shelf full of Glock and M&P slides he needs to unload. And if every gun reviewer bought all the "nightstand" guns they claim to, that would be one big nightstand.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Salesmen lie to make a living no big mystery there, I trust my XD just as much as my Glock.
    mr.stuart and bps3040 like this.

I have a couple of XD's and have never had a problem.....that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Could care less what some guy at Bowie Tactical that makes ugly guns even uglier thnks about the XD.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

JD
    Administrator
    For starters, TDI (including Dave Bowie) doesn't promote the XD/XDM as they don't like the fact that the grip safety has to be depressed to work the slide. They do a lot of multi-day, high round count classes and do see trends in failures. I can assure you that Dave is not just trying to make a buck. He's a SWAT officer first, a trainer @ TDI second, and a smith last (at least that was my take on things).

We all have our opinions, just ask him what he thinks of HK. I politely thanked him for his thoughts and said something along the lines of "that may be, but I like mine and shoot it pretty well".

For your XD/XDM check out Burris and get a Fast Fire and XD mount. You wont get the BUIS but you can play with the dot.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I would not worry.XD is a good gun,just because an 'expert' does not favor it means little in the real world.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Sounds like a case of "gun shop commando" syndrome. I love when clerks tell me why this gun or that gun sucks and how they have to send so many back for warranty work. They are all experts yet when I go in to order a specific gun they usually are unaware its even offered by a manufacture. All they know is whats sitting in the case in front of them. I just smile and nod at them and move along. Shoot what you feel good with and don't worry.

Buy a bigger nightstand, and keep your 12 gauge there.
    mauser1959 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, he's got a shelf full of Glock and M&P slides he needs to unload. And if every gun reviewer bought all the "nightstand" guns they claim to, that would be one big nightstand.
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't sell aftermarket slides.

Administrator
    He could have just answered the question...AKA ~ "Sorry, No...we don't have any slides available for the XD."

Really I think he planted something more like an "oak tree" of doubt rather than a "tiny seed"
    shooterX and mauser1959 like this.

Administrator
    I will stake my entire reputation here that Bowie is no "gun shop commando", and the man does know more about fighting pistols than any of us gun forum commandos. I have seen first hand what the man speaks of and hold the same opinion based on observing the same things. And no, I do not bow at the alter of Benner, Bowie or TDI in general; I've had my
    disagreements with all of them.
    To be fair, the TDI boys did beat the XD drum when they first came out, but then time and experience righted that ship. That was one of the few times I got to say "I told you so" to those guys. Just like the AR's, there are consumer grade pistols, and there are professional grade pistols. Choose what suits you best is all I have to say about that.
    JD, Vaquero 45, AZ Hawk and 2 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    What the heck don't I know about my beloved XD?
    You have way too much emotional investment in your gun.

It's a tool. Use it, run it hard and learn it. If your gun doesn't malf or choke, great. If it does, figure out why, and either fix it or dump it.

Either you are the weapon and the gun is a tool, or the gun is a weapon or you are a tool.

Which is it?
    SIXTO, QKShooter, Nix and 3 others like this.

Administrator
    I've shot the XD (not my own firearm) & I enjoyed shooting it & (first impression) I liked the grip angle but, (for sure) I never put nearly enough rounds through one to give a YEA or a NAY on it. So...I have no personal qualified opinion on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You have way too much emotional investment in your gun.

It's a tool. Use it, run it hard and learn it. If your gun doesn't malf or choke, great. If it does, figure out why, and either fix it or dump it.

Either you are the weapon and the gun is a tool, or the gun is a weapon or you are a tool.

Which is it?
    Well, that's pretty stiff. My way or the highway type BS? I've never owned an XD, nor will I ever, but I'm sure they work pretty well for those who like them. IMO, anyone who shoots anything other than a Glock is a clown. See how that works?
    zonker1986, Doodle and mauser1959 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Well, that's pretty stiff. My way or the highway type BS? I've never owned an XD, nor will I ever, but I'm sure they work pretty well for those who like them. IMO, anyone who shoots anything other than a Glock is a clown. See how that works?
    Huh?

Seriously...what?

You have an issue with running your weapon hard and seeing if it holds up?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links