XD Trigger freeze?

XD Trigger freeze?

This is a discussion on XD Trigger freeze? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not sure what caused this and I am pretty much ignorant on the minute mechanics of my XD-SC 9mm. It is a newish ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: XD Trigger freeze?

XD Trigger freeze?

I am not sure what caused this and I am pretty much ignorant on the minute mechanics of my XD-SC 9mm. It is a newish gun and I've only put about 200 rounds through it flawlessly. Then, halfway thru the 16 round mag, I pulled the trigger and it wouldn't pull all the way back and fire. It was as if the grip safety wasn't engaged or something. The striker never hit the casing. There is no thumb safety on this gun. I swapped mags and the gun fired for a few more then "locked" again so I don't think something was wrong with the mag. Maybe the ammo? The little trigger safety pulls back even with the main part of the trigger then just stops there. My gunsmith couldn't see anything out of sorts with the gun or the mag so I said I'd try it again with different ammo. But, now, I'm a little apprehensive shooting it again since I am so new to this. Do any of you have any insight on this? Should I try it again or is it too dangerous and should I have the gunsmith check it out and try firing it? It's my 2nd XD-SC - the first had a defective mag release.
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Paula
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Administrator
    That is a fairly common issue with the XD line. Most people let Springfield take care of it as they should.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've never had an issue with my XD40sc. I'd send it back to Springfield with a detailed explanation and then run several hundred round through it when I got it back.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Never had such issue with my XD45 either.
    Last edited by Tally XD; November 8th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

My SA XD40 SC has been flawless. Springfield has very good customer service, call them and tell them what the problem is, they will probably mail you a mailer to send it back to them and they will fix it and return to you. Doesn't really take them very long either. If they can't fix it, they will replace it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hope I never have the problem... let us know what you find out.

I can't see anything "dangerous" about shooting it, if you had a gunsmith examine it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That is a fairly common issue with the XD line. Most people let Springfield take care of it as they should.
    THAT is a common issue? Yikes!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

This morning I dry fired it through 3 mags with 5 dummies each. Each mag, each time, the first shot had a tight, shmooshy feel and I could hear and feel a spring or something twang in the trigger. The second and 3rd fire, the same thing with only a little bit of twang in the trigger. The 4th and 5th fire were smooth and normal - no shmooshiness or twanginess. I'll keep dry firing this way until that twangy thing goes away. At least, it didn't lock up as it did with live ammo. If I can't get the dry fire to give me 5 normals over and over in each magazine, it will go back to Davidson, they'll replace it.
    I'll keep ya posted.
    Paula
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    This morning I dry fired it through 3 mags with 5 dummies each. Each mag, each time, the first shot had a tight, shmooshy feel and I could hear and feel a spring or something twang in the trigger. The second and 3rd fire, the same thing with only a little bit of twang in the trigger. The 4th and 5th fire were smooth and normal - no shmooshiness or twanginess. I'll keep dry firing this way until that twangy thing goes away. At least, it didn't lock up as it did with live ammo. If I can't get the dry fire to give me 5 normals over and over in each magazine, it will go back to Davidson, they'll replace it.
    I'll keep ya posted.
    Paula
    Send it back to Springfield and let them fix your pistol. Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Have you checked the roll pin that holds the striker in place? Sounds like it may be broke.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

i think you should send it in to springfield. they built it. they should know what's up and how to fix it. good luck.

Thanks. I'll have the gunsmith check that. I'm pretty clueless as to knowing what is right or wrong by looking at it unless it's really obvious.

However, if it is defective, I'll have it fixed but I will not keep it. That's 0 for 2 on this model. I have lost confidence in this gun. (I am wondering if I've done something incorrectly due to my newness at this and have caused the problems myself - maybe in takedown ) I'll be looking for 9mm CC replacement. Thinking Beretta PX4 Storm or Nano. Or, maybe a Ruger or maybe a Kahr. So, many choices of guns, so little storage space.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Springfield has excellent customer service... I really don't know why you wouldn't let them handle it. Sucks that you have lost confidence in the XD. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Springfield has excellent customer service... I really don't know why you wouldn't let them handle it. Sucks that you have lost confidence in the XD. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, at this time.
    If I hadn't got this through Davidson's I would have Springfield fix it. Davidson's will replace it with a new one. I could go directly through Springfield, I just thought a new replacement would be better. Maybe, when they send me another (the 3rd) I'll give it one more shot because, yes, I do like everything about it but it has to be reliable. I hope it will work since I have some extra $$ invested in it. I replaced the sights with Trijicon ($140) and have 3 holsters made for it and extra mags so I really want it to work. Maybe Davidson is the problem.? I will rethink sending it directly to SA. Thanks for the vote of confidence!!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I've never even heard of a problem like that with XDs. I own two .40s, one Service and one Subcompact. I did a ton of reading on them before I bought them, and of the issues people have had, failure to depress the trigger is one that I've never run across.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links