Sorry Glock guys...

This is a discussion on Sorry Glock guys... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis You gotta have MAN hands bud. I am a Caterpillar mechanic, bud. Enough said. I have to admit, I had no ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Sorry Glock guys...

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    You gotta have MAN hands bud.
    I am a Caterpillar mechanic, bud. Enough said.

I have to admit, I had no idea what a mess this would turn out to be (or did I?) I have never seen a more opinionated bunch of guys. You guys are all right! From the Glock goofballs to the SIG suckers (self included), should we all meet, the beer is on me. Of course, should we all meet, the fight would soon be on, from what I have read. On a bit more serious note, for those of you who care (none by now), I thought about this today. What guns have caused me discomfort, other than a high recoiling firearm that you know will smack you before you torch it off. From Remingtons to Winchesters, Benellis to more Remingtons, Sakos, Tikkas, SIGs, Rugers (revolvers only), 1911's of any variety, Berettas, S&W's (j-frames and my beloved M&P), XD's, and a few Hi Powers, 22 LR through 44 mag, 22 LR through 458 Lott (300 H&H is my darling, don't shoot a Lott unless you are angry at yourself), and 410 through 10 gauge, only ONE firearm bothered me just by holding it. I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that I am not the only individual who butted heads with the Glock grip. But that does not mean that I have nothing good to say about the brand. On the contrary, they are excellent guns. We all know this, even guys fairly new to serious handgun shooting (that would be me). I will never love Glocks the way that some of you do. But that's OK, because some of you will never love SIGS the way I (and a few others) do. Be your own dog. But c'mon, I did buy one. I even bought a VMII holster for it. Had some Trijicons installed. I was SERIOUS about this being a carry weapon. All this before I shot it. I saw similar situations many times when out west. Was a hunting guide for 11 years. All the time, guys would show up in elk camp with a cannon that the magazines said the simply MUST have as a minimum. And these guys were scared of theor own guns. Scared to zero them ("they did it at the store"). You haven't shot it yet? Oh, boy. The point is, when you carry a gun, you better be able to run it. Well. Under any and all circumstances. Again, we all know this, I am the rookie here. But if you don't like it (like our guy in elk camp, the guy who uses a 35 Remington in Pennsylvania for whitetails, and then shows up in elk camp with a Mark V 340 Weatherby), and don't like to shoot it, you will not practice with it. And gentlemen, I need the practice. So yeah, I will carry a SIG (current 229 or future 226 which, by the way, is quite concealable), or my M&P, or my Kimber, or my XDM. And I will not feel as though I am carrying anything inferior. And I would feel the same way if the Glock worked out.

I apologise for starting a bit of a battle. That was not my intent. But it DID make for some darn good reading. Maybe I should be a gun rag writer. Now THOSE guys know what controversy is all about. Take care.

By the way, SIGs rule.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    While I agree there are some guns he could bring to market and keep and even bigger thumbhold on some of the market share they do have. Glock hasnt changed much because you really dont have to change the design of a screwdriver or a hammer. They work fine as they are and have for many years. Yes you can put a different handle on them or make them a different color but they still just turn screws and pound nails.

I dont think you ll ever see a dramatic physcial chnage in Glocks, but you dont need to. Maybe some single stack or grip lengths etc but why mess with it? Its still just metal and plastic used to launch a bullet out the barrel. If it works pretty much above the average in the reliability dept, then quit while you are ahead.

Yes JMB had a lot of designs because he was also interested in shotguns and rifles, but his crown jewel is the 1911 and it is pretty much the same gun as it was 100 years ago and nobody complains about it.
    Your post is a perfect example of the typical Glock attitude of why be comfortable and want any additional features, you don't need anything that Gaston didn't design 25 years ago in the first place. To a point, you are correct. I don't need power brakes, air conditioning, high speed internet, but I would not trade going back for one single second. Hell I drove my uncles old truck this summer and damn near rear ended another guy because I forgot how piss poor the old brakes were. I have said this before, but Glock fans are the new 1911 fans. Both argue over outdated designs that are proven and they truly love. The difference is that 1911's are a better looking and still have the best trigger made. At this point Glock has become a commodity item, plastic is plastic. Think trash bags or q-tips.

Since we are talking about Sigs, I would take one over a Glock any day of the week if I did not have to conceal it or carry it 12 hours a day. They are just fine firearms that have great triggers and fantastic accuracy. I really like classic Sigs more and more lately. Many more folks would own them if they were at the same price point as the polymers, but frankly the average guy can't afford them without a bit of saving up. Flame on!
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a Glock 23 and a Sig 228 I love both of them and Glocks and Sigs are two different animals. The Glock is a Craftsman Hammer and the Sig is a well balanced and crafted Estwing.

One feels a little better or worse in the hand depedning on who you give it to, one may even look a little better polished and sleek when riding on your tool belt....but in the end they both just pound nails.

Both my Glock and my SIG are tools I have and would trust my life to, any day of the week and twice on sundays. The Sig cost more and looks a little more pleasing to the eye but it still fires a relatively tiny bullet out the end and ride along with me when I ask.

Sorry the Glock didnt work out and good luck with the SIG. I am sure it will do you well.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Your post is a perfect example of the typical Glock attitude of why be comfortable and want any additional features, you don't need anything that Gaston didn't design in the first place. To a point, you are correct. I don't need power brakes, air conditioning, high speed internet, but I would not trade going back for one single second. Hell I drove my uncles old truck this summer and damn near rear ended another guy because I forgot how piss poor the old brakes were. I have said this before, but Glock fans are the new 1911 fans. Both argue over outdated designs that are proven and they truly love. The difference is that 1911's are a better looking and still have the best trigger made.
    Im not going to make any excuses for myself. I like Glock, pre lock Smith&Wesson Revolvers, and Colt 1911s. I also like Sig and Cz. I dont care for anything else, and wouldnt waste money on anything else. Smith & Wesson should have stayed in the revolver business, thats what they do best, and Springfield should have stayed in the 1911 business instead of creating that abortion of a super hero looking piece of crap.

Alot of people would spend money on a turd on a stick if they thought it was inovative and comfortable to hold. Thats my opinion.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Im not going to make any excuses for myself. I like Glock, pre lock Smith&Wesson Revolvers, and Colt 1911s. I also like Sig and Cz. I dont care for anything else, and wouldnt waste money on anything else. Smith & Wesson should have stayed in the revolver business, thats what they do best, and Springfield should have stayed in the 1911 business instead of creating that abortion of a super hero looking piece of crap.

Alot of people would spend money on a turd on a stick if they thought it was inovative and comfortable to hold. Thats my opinion.
    I will take the latest S&W as well as Springfield polymers over the latest Glock designs any day of the week. Gen 4's blow!

I will take the latest S&W as well as Springfield polymers over the latest Glock designs any day of the week. Gen 4 is a perfect example of the piece of crap you reference above.
    You and I and the rest of the world knows that was the only glitch in Glocks almost quarter of a century of production, and it occured from a simple spring change. Up until recently S&W has been sucking hind tit trying to put together something to compete with it. How could we forget their early answer to Glock....the Sigma, what a piece of crap.
    Now they have succeeded in their best copy. Great, but its nothing new, just some different features to make it more comfortable for different people. Im glad they finally arrived, took them damn near 25 years.

And, lest we forget, S&W hopped right in bed with the Clinton administration on the gun bill. And Ruger did not want to offer hi cap mags to civillians. My, my how we forget.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I am a Caterpillar mechanic, bud. Enough said.

I apologise for starting a bit of a battle. That was not my intent. But it DID make for some darn good reading. Maybe I should be a gun rag writer. Now THOSE guys know what controversy is all about. Take care.

By the way, SIGs rule.
    OP, I got no problem with your post, brother. I like Glocks. You don't. So what? CC is a highly personal thing. Holsters are a highly personal thing. Carry attire is a highly personal thing. Just because I found my A++ combo doesn't mean that it will be your A++ combo. Uhhh, you said something about buying beers? Have you ever installed/serviced a Caterpillar diesel on a boat?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Do you walk around with a rock in your shoe? What have you got against comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Do you walk around with a rock in your shoe? What have you got against comfort?
    Ah, I just like rousing people sometimes. Guess I still have to much Marine DI in me. Makes me want to yell,"should we trade in your combat boots for a pair of leotards and a little pink tutu?!!"

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Interesting. I have a callus on the second joint of my middle finger, the one which rubs under the trigger guard. It only bothers me if I'm doing heavy training from a draw. I just throw on a piece of athletic tape and good to go!
    Excuse me, you are correct. It is on my second joint of the middle finger. As mentioned, just under the trigger guard. Same here with practicing the draw causing it. I've had it for close to three years now. It never really bothers me unless it drys out and cracks or I cut a litlte too much of it off.

VIP Member
    You and I and the rest of the world knows that was the only glitch in Glocks almost quarter of a century of production, and it occured from a simple spring change. Up until recently S&W has been sucking hind tit trying to put together something to compete with it. How could we forget their early answer to Glock....the Sigma, what a piece of crap.
    Now they have succeeded in their best copy. Great, but its nothing new, just some different features to make it more comfortable for different people. Im glad they finally arrived, took them damn near 25 years.

And, lest we forget, S&W hopped right in bed with the Clinton administration on the gun bill. And Ruger did not want to offer hi cap mags to civillians. My, my how we forget.
    I enjoy your old school sayings and generally respect your posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are uneducated about the Gen 4 problems. If you owned one or read up on the issues it goes a bit beyond recoil springs. Do a little research and get back to me. I promise I won't rub your nose in it. Let me give you a hint or two (ejectors and extractors).

Now let me get back to shooting my new P229.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    OP, I got no problem with your post, brother. I like Glocks. You don't. So what? CC is a highly personal thing. Holsters are a highly personal thing. Carry attire is a highly personal thing. Just because I found my A++ combo doesn't mean that it will be your A++ combo. Uhhh, you said something about buying beers? Have you ever installed/serviced a Caterpillar diesel on a boat?
    Marine apps are new to me. But if it is a Cat engine, I can pound on it. Twin engines or single screw?

I enjoy your old school sayings and generally respect your posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are uneducated about the Gen 4 problems. If you owned one or read up on the issues it goes a bit beyond recoil springs. Do a little research and get back to me. I promise I won't rub your nose in it. Let me give you a hint or two (ejectors and extractors).

Now let me get back to shooting my new P229.....
    You are correct, I am not up on all the problems. I dont own a gen 4, and only have heard bits and pieces. But ejectors and extractors dont sound like much of an issue, a simple drop in replacement. Enjoy your Sig :)

So, glockman. I take it you are an XD man? Maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Marine apps are new to me. But if it is a Cat engine, I can pound on it. Twin engines or single screw?
    Ahhh, good call. In all honesty. I'm a Yanmar dude. Sailboat auxiliary. I just like how those cats look in big stinkpots.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links