Sorry Glock guys... - Page 6

Sorry Glock guys...

This is a discussion on Sorry Glock guys... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; C Hawk, all the info I can find is a little old on the issue of the extrator and ejector problems. And most of it ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Sorry Glock guys...

C Hawk, all the info I can find is a little old on the issue of the extrator and ejector problems. And most of it seems related to the new spring combined with low powered ammo, according to what I read. I believe that is a non issue. Hickock 45s review of the Gen 4 was favorable. It appears from what I have found that this is a non issue.

And actually, to be fair, when you are on top, everything you do is magnified. I heard that Glock addressed the problem and took care of its customers. But Ill keep searching.

I am becoming more inclined to believe that a handful of malfunctioning guns has caused a disproportionate reaction.

And, while not really relevant to determining if Glock is really any better than XD or S&W, it would be interesting to see how they all stack up being submerged in sea water, bounced around on concrete from a good heigth, and totally put through hell, and then a round count until it chokes. That would be interesting.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Your post is a perfect example of the typical Glock attitude of why be comfortable and want any additional features, you don't need anything that Gaston didn't design 25 years ago in the first place. To a point, you are correct. I don't need power brakes, air conditioning, high speed internet, but I would not trade going back for one single second. Hell I drove my uncles old truck this summer and damn near rear ended another guy because I forgot how piss poor the old brakes were. I have said this before, but Glock fans are the new 1911 fans. Both argue over outdated designs that are proven and they truly love. The difference is that 1911's are a better looking and still have the best trigger made. At this point Glock has become a commodity item, plastic is plastic. Think trash bags or q-tips.

Since we are talking about Sigs, I would take one over a Glock any day of the week if I did not have to conceal it or carry it 12 hours a day. They are just fine firearms that have great triggers and fantastic accuracy. I really like classic Sigs more and more lately. Many more folks would own them if they were at the same price point as the polymers, but frankly the average guy can't afford them without a bit of saving up. Flame on!
    So since you are comparing Glocks to power brakes and old trucks, would you care to explain how SIGs, XDs and M&Ps are somehow more modern?
    jumpwing likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Your post is a perfect example of the typical Glock attitude of why be comfortable and want any additional features, you don't need anything that Gaston didn't design 25 years ago in the first place. To a point, you are correct. I don't need power brakes, air conditioning, high speed internet, but I would not trade going back for one single second.
    I'm not sure what the high-speed bells and whistles of modern pistol design are that equate to the difference between power brakes and manual brakes. I gather with friends each year for an annual shoot and we all try out each other's gear (and some of these guys CLEARLY have too much disposable income). I have seen differences compared to my G30; differences, but nothing that I would describe as "dramatic" improvements like the difference between A/C and no A/C. One pistol had a more comfortably located mag release, but it also had external safeties, which I hate. Another had a better trigger pull but I've never done anything to adjust the trigger pull on my own weapon (procrastinator) so that may be entirely moot. The ergonomics were different, but considering that grip preference is personal and subjective, it's hard to argue that one grip is "better" than another. What feels right in MY hand may feel completely foreign in yours.

At any rate, the bottom line is that the G30 has outperformed any other pistol in MY hands, since Day 1, and I tried out a LOT of pistols (and revolvers) because I didn't want to fall into the trap of "making" myself like a particular model. My very first shot with a (rented) G30 was a dead-center bullseye. Ditto for the G30 I purchased. There are other excellent firearms out there, but they didn't perform as well in MY hands, and that's the single most important thing for me when choosing a self-defense tool. If I had the budget for a few safe queens, I wouldn't fuss so much about some of the details that I believe are important in an EDC; but then I also wouldn't carry any of them every day.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Knuckles ? How the hell were you holding it ? The G-19 is one of the softest shooting pistols around along with the G-17.
    Im curious of how it tore up your knuckles ? A Sig isn't going to help in that matter either. Maybe you should get yourself a nice 32 Auto instead ?

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

OD*
    What actually constitutes a modern pistol design anyway?
    Striker fired? Been around at least since the Roth Model 1907.
    SA/DA? Since at least 1929, and Carl Walther's "Polizei Pistole."
    Polymer pistol? At least 1973, and Heckler & Koch's VP70Z.

RTTR84 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I enjoy your old school sayings and generally respect your posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are uneducated about the Gen 4 problems. If you owned one or read up on the issues it goes a bit beyond recoil springs. Do a little research and get back to me. I promise I won't rub your nose in it. Let me give you a hint or two (ejectors and extractors).

Now let me get back to shooting my new P229.....
    I got one... a Gen 4 G22 and I did my research. Its a non-issue....mine is 100% and still rockin.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    Knuckles ? How the hell were you holding it ? The G-19 is one of the softest shooting pistols around along with the G-17.
    Im curious of how it tore up your knuckles ? A Sig isn't going to help in that matter either. Maybe you should get yourself a nice 32 Auto instead ?
    I already have a SIG. They feel great to my hands. To repeat: Glocks squeeze the heck out of the first knuckle of the middle finger of my firing hannd. Enough to chafe the heck out of it. No other handgun does this. And I am not the only guy in this boat. Has nothing to do with chambering. My Kimber 1911, M&P, 229, Hi Power, XDm, they all feel just fine.

To each his/her own. Glad you found what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I already have a SIG. They feel great to my hands. To repeat: Glocks squeeze the heck out of the first knuckle of the middle finger of my firing hannd. Enough to chafe the heck out of it. No other handgun does this. And I am not the only guy in this boat. Has nothing to do with chambering. My Kimber 1911, M&P, 229, Hi Power, XDm, they all feel just fine.
    You mean the second knuckle? It's quite impossible for the gun to squeeze the first knuckle of your middle finger.

FWIW, I have the same problem (second knuckle), but it doesn't really bother me.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

The knuckle closest to my hand. It sucks. I really wanted to run that 19. Now I am stuck with the holster. Oh well, somebody will buy it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    C Hawk, all the info I can find is a little old on the issue of the extrator and ejector problems. And most of it seems related to the new spring combined with low powered ammo, according to what I read. I believe that is a non issue. Hickock 45s review of the Gen 4 was favorable. It appears from what I have found that this is a non issue.

And actually, to be fair, when you are on top, everything you do is magnified. I heard that Glock addressed the problem and took care of its customers. But Ill keep searching.

I am becoming more inclined to believe that a handful of malfunctioning guns has caused a disproportionate reaction.

And, while not really relevant to determining if Glock is really any better than XD or S&W, it would be interesting to see how they all stack up being submerged in sea water, bounced around on concrete from a good heigth, and totally put through hell, and then a round count until it chokes. That would be interesting.
    Gman,

I commend you for actually taking the time and looking this up. I should say that I have been harsh on Glock lately. I am just pissed due to my last ordeal and disappointed with a company that really ruined a good thing. I carried the banner for Glock a long time and now I have to call a spade a spade. Sorry as I don't mean to be negative it just gets annoying as some of the Glock folks come across as arrogant.

Back to the issues:

Just because Glock has not recalled the Gen 4 9mm's completely, it does not mean there are not other issues they are not willing to own up to. Here is a link to Lone Wolf, does it seem odd that their Glock 9mm extractors are backordered? How come there are plenty of Glock extractors on the same website? They cost the same. Oh and it gets better, it's not just recoil springs and extractors people are having issues with, it's ejectors too! I will give you a link to Glock Talk with six pages on the issue. For example, I sent back my G17 after it was still stove pipping and spitting brass at my forehead even though the miracle cure of the new recoil spring was installed. The paperwork says they did nothing to the firearm, but took it back to factory specs. This meant they took out my extended slide release. I also checked after my initial inspection and they replaced the ejector and extractor. It seems odd that they did not put it on the paperwork don't it? This is the last post on this topic as I did not mean to get the OP side tracked.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Glock Extractor LCI 9mm - $18.75

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Glock Extractor 90/0 Early 9mm - $18.75

New Gen 4 Ejector - Glock Talk

Ejector Fix pictures by SGTDuffman - Photobucket
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

CHawk; 10-4
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    C Hawk, when did Glock change ejectors? I recently traded into another G19, an EXO imported Nov. 3rd, 2010, it's ejector and the one in my Gen4 17 imported Jan, 2010 are identical "old style" ejectors, down to the "336" stamped on the side. I admit I have not read through all the links you provided, would you tell me what changes they made the the extractors?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Only time a Glock,or any gun hurt me,I had the base of my thumb knuckle too high,as in behind the slide.I wrapped a rag around it and never did that again.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    C Hawk, when did Glock change ejectors? I recently traded into another G19, an EXO imported Nov. 3rd, 2010, it's ejector and the one in my Gen4 17 imported Jan, 2010 are identical "old style" ejectors, down to the "336" stamped on the side. I admit I have not read through all the links you provided, would you tell me what changes they made the the extractors?
    OD,

My new one has 30274, take a look at the video in my previous post. The new one has a twist and looks squared off and not pointed like the Gen 3's. Here is another link in which people are talking about the new one as well. Switching over to extractors, I have been told that Glock has had a rash of out of spec extractors for Gen 4's and the newly manufactured Gen 3's. The the second link I provided has a great write up.

I honestly hope that some of you guys will see why I have had my opinions and not think I am bashing Glock just to be a jerk. This is based on facts not just some preference. To come out with a firearm that is known for rock solid reliability and have three major issues is just a travesty.

New 30274 Ejector!

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346797
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links