New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them - Page 2

New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them

This is a discussion on New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I don't care for night sights. I put a dot of DayGlo Orange model paint on my sights, and they stand ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't care for night sights. I put a dot of DayGlo Orange model paint on my sights, and they stand out much better in bright light, stand out plenty well in light dim enough to barely see a target, and BGs generally don't wear DG Orange, so the sights stand out well there too. Plus, $4 for the paint is a LOT cheaper. But each needs to set up however they like.
    I both put on a Trijicon front sight AND painted dayglow orange around it. I find that the Trijicon takes over when the light is too dim to see the orange, so I get a complete continuum of light levels in which I can see the front sight.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I have Meprolight sights on my G26 and I am far better off with a 3-dot system. FWIW, I notice I also have problems with a 2-color 3-dot setup. I have a green front and orange rear on a Springfield XD40. Very bad judgement on my part.
    I put this set-up on my G-30 and like it a lot. In the daylight, the three sights work as normal. In low light, the back sights are a bit dimmer than the front sight which draws my eye to the front sight while still giving enough light to use the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I both put on a Trijicon front sight AND painted dayglow orange around it. I find that the Trijicon takes over when the light is too dim to see the orange, so I get a complete continuum of light levels in which I can see the front sight.
    I use this solution as well - night sights and DG Orange around the tritium on the front sight. Works well for me.

OP - I have a weapon that came with Heinie Straight 8 sights, basically the same sighting configuration you are discussing - stacked dots. I did not like it and changed the sights to night sights with 3 dots so that it matched all my other sighting systems. I have a variety of weapons, but try to keep them as similar in operation as possible so I don't have to remember which I am using. This means I sweep the safety off my Glocks so I don't forget to do so on my 1911s and other weapons that have a safety. Additionally, all my guns with safeties have the same safety motion as a 1911. If a weapon has an external safety and it operates differently than my 1911, I don't purchase it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I like Meps.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links