New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them

This is a discussion on New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BACKGROUND: Just purchased a new set of AmeriGlo I-DOT night sights (green tritium) for my Glock 19. This particular design features a single tritium rear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Night Sights -- Not Sure How I Like Them

BACKGROUND:

Just purchased a new set of AmeriGlo I-DOT night sights (green tritium) for my Glock 19. This particular design features a single tritium rear sight (one green dot) and a tritium front sight (another green dot w/ white outline). The front sight appears slightly larger/brighter because of the outline, but they're the same tubes.

I heavily researched the different sight manufactures/designs and ultimately went with AmeriGlo sights because they use Trijicon's tubes. AmeriGlo makes the sights and sends them off to Trijicon for processing. I'm told there are only a few manufacturers who have the licensing to produce/sell such tubes in the U.S -- Trijicon is one of them.

For daytime sighting, the AmeriGlo sights have a plastic white ring around the tritium tubes; Trijicons, however, have a painted white ring which can flake off/yellow over time.

PROBLEMS:

When looking through the sights in darkness, I notice slight differences (double vision) with the placement of the rear dot (about 1.5" off side-to-side). I recently had an eye exam and have perfect 20/20 vision -- no problems there. Also, the green dots seem to be pretty dim; less bright than the glow-in-the-dark toys we had as kids.

Does anyone else have/use this type of design (one dot front/rear, instead of two on the rear and one in the front)? Or, if you have night sights, do you find them easy to use in total darkness (bright enough, easy to get sight picture, etc.)?

PICTURE: http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/defaul...01%20set_0.jpg

It's not what I'm used to, but then one only needs the front site anyway (point shooting)...that said, the single dot front and back would be a bit confusing.
    I'd stick with Trijs or Meps...standard set up for me.OMO
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I've had this sight configuration on 1 gun. I personally hated it. Switched the sights to the standard 3 dot set up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I loved it, but had the wrong front sight when I got mine for the gun I was using. Shot badly low, so switched the front for a Big Dot and was dead on at 15 yd.

You have to watch Ameriglo. They have a LOT of different heights of front and rears, so you may need to mix and match...and MEASURE before you install to make sure you know what heights you are installing.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have Tru-Glo Tritium on my Glock, very nice, bright, day or night. I just put a X/S dot on the front of my LCR357. I like that a lot also.

I'll go shoot with them today. I guess I'll return them if I hate it.

I found this review on my setup:

Handgun Sight Review: AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro – Jerking the Trigger

He makes some good points.

I purchased my G 19 with Glocks metal night sights. They work well, for me. Hope you get this corrected.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

If you are having a slight double vision issue you may have an issue with the angles of your eyes. You may be slightly cross eyed. I am not talking about enough to be seen or noticed by looking at you but maybe only 3-4 degrees off. I have the same thing. It has developed over the last 10-12 years and forces me to now close my left eye whenever I shoot otherwise I see two front sights about an inch apart. Your eye doc can tell you, it is not something that would show on a standard exam. At 43 I still have better than 20/20 vision unfortunately stuff is still starting to wear.

Yes, i only like 3 dots myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    If you are having a slight double vision issue you may have an issue with the angles of your eyes. You may be slightly cross eyed. I am not talking about enough to be seen or noticed by looking at you but maybe only 3-4 degrees off. I have the same thing. It has developed over the last 10-12 years and forces me to now close my left eye whenever I shoot otherwise I see two front sights about an inch apart. Your eye doc can tell you, it is not something that would show on a standard exam. At 43 I still have better than 20/20 vision unfortunately stuff is still starting to wear.
    Interesting, I think I'll book an appointment. Hopefully by describing to him exactly what's going on and why it's a problem he'll figure it out.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have Meprolight sights on my G26 and I am far better off with a 3-dot system. FWIW, I notice I also have problems with a 2-color 3-dot setup. I have a green front and orange rear on a Springfield XD40. Very bad judgement on my part.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My M&PC 9mm has Trijicon night sights, 3 dots, and works great--- night or day.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't care for night sights. I put a dot of DayGlo Orange model paint on my sights, and they stand out much better in bright light, stand out plenty well in light dim enough to barely see a target, and BGs generally don't wear DG Orange, so the sights stand out well there too. Plus, $4 for the paint is a LOT cheaper. But each needs to set up however they like.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't care for night sights. I put a dot of DayGlo Orange model paint on my sights, and they stand out much better in bright light, stand out plenty well in light dim enough to barely see a target, and BGs generally don't wear DG Orange, so the sights stand out well there too. Plus, $4 for the paint is a LOT cheaper. But each needs to set up however they like.
    True, paint is a lot cheaper. I went with night sights to help orient me for those middle-of-the-night, need my gun scares. If it was only for daytime, I would totally use paint.

Have you had any problems with it flaking off?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    While I like the notch shape of the rear sight I don't think stacking one dot on the other would be as easy to line up three dots. Maybe you could keep the front and switch out the rear to a two dot or just plain iron rear sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links