Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact - Excellent gun, excellent company

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact - Excellent gun, excellent company within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I've recently been shooting my XD40 subcompact a lot more. I forgot what a great gun this is. I'll address its best features ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact - Excellent gun, excellent company

Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact - Excellent gun, excellent company

Hey all,

I've recently been shooting my XD40 subcompact a lot more.
    I forgot what a great gun this is. I'll address its best features below:

1. So far, in its 6 years of service, it has 1500 rounds through it. Not a single FTF, FTE, or any sort of malfunction, no matter what I throw at it; it's eaten USA Ammo FMJs, Aguila FMJ, S&B FMJ, Wally-world WWB FMJ, Federal Champion FMJ, American Eagle FMJ, Hornady Crit Def, Gold Dots, PDX.
    2. At first, I had a hard time shooting this weapon accurately. The gun has a good amount of muzzle flip/recoil, but that's to be expected when shooting a high-powered cartridge from a subcompact platform. I can consistently hit 4" groups at 20 yards, which is plenty good for me!
    3. Reliability. I've never had to maintain the gun more than the standard field strip and clean after each range visit. Weapon has run like clockwork so far.

On top of all this, Springfield Armory's customer service team is simply outstanding. I emailed them 8:00 this morning about getting my gun refinished with their Melonite coating and getting a replacement recoil spring and plastic hard case. By 5 minutes till 4 PM I had a response stating that they were shipping me a new recoil spring and plastic case, and that they would provide me a FedEx prepaid box to ship my gun back to SA, and that the Melonite recoating would be free of charge. That is simply top-notch customer service!

Sure, there are other, lighter weight and more attractive weapons out there for CCW (because let's face it, the XD40SC is UGLY!), but I'll stick to my XD40SC. Nice and reliable, accurate, and great customer service...it's hard to beat that!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Nice gun, I had one.... traded it for a G29SF 10mm. I did not like the .40 recoil (nothing wrong with the gun itself), now I have more power and less recoil.

Now I am very interested in the new XDM C .45.

I wish they'd make a 10mm.. I'll be all over that.

Seriously, 10mm less recoil than .40? Doesn't seem quite right

mkh
    My XD40SC is one of my favorite guns. My EDC is a Sig P220 .45 but if I need to carry something smaller then I go with teh XD.

I have a XD9 and really like it! It shoots very nice and no issues!
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

I have 16 handguns total and my EDC is my XD40sc. I've had my XD40sc for several years and I agree with you 100%. I have over 1,000 rounds through mine and it has been flawless. For me, from the 1st time I shot it I have been extremely accurate with it. The finish on mine still looks new, but it is good to know that Springfield will take good care of me if I ever need anything. Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

great gun. you're right, its a snappy little gun

I have the XDM 3.8 compact in 40 S&W, it is a fine gus as is all of Springfields guns. I also have the XD 45 Service model.
    Good Luck with your new pistol !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Hmm, free Melonite recoat?

I may need to give them a call. I have an earlier XD9 with the finish that is reportedly prone to rusting. Do you have to ship to and from an FFL for work like this?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    [LIST=1][*]So far, in its 6 years of service, it has 1500 rounds through it. Not a single FTF, FTE, or any sort of malfunction, no matter what I throw at it; it's eaten USA Ammo FMJs, Aguila FMJ, S&B FMJ, Wally-world WWB FMJ, Federal Champion FMJ, American Eagle FMJ, Hornady Crit Def, Gold Dots, PDX.
    I've had my full-sized XDm9 since November of 2010. It has an honest 16,000 or so rounds on it from me, since that time. The previous owner had put on about 200 rounds. I had one double-feed that I attribute to mud in the magazine, which was in-turn caused by the driving rainstorm in which that particular training class was held in. Two weekends ago, I had three successive magazines fail to lock-back on-empty: again, it was because we were training in some awful mud...I field-stripped the gun on the line, dumped my 20-ounce bottle of water on the slide-lock area and used my pocket-knife to scrape out some dried mud from the affected magazine followers - a 2-minute operation in-total - and it was 100% after that. I usually go at 1000 to 1500 rounds between cleanings (unless the gun gets really wet), with only a quick field-strip and a couple of drops of Shooter's Choice lube in the necessary areas every 500 to 600 rounds or so, and much of that laziness is because I keep hoping that the crud would cause the gun to malfunction more, so that I can get in more malfunction clearance: no-such-luck.

My true-EDC is a XDm9 3.8 Compact. It's currently got between 6,000 to 7,000 rounds on it, all accrued since January of this year. It's had only one malfunction that I did not purposefully induce (i.e. that wasn't a malfunction drill caused by a snap-cap or spent-casing loaded into the mag): a stovepipe that was caused by my limp-wristing the gun, when I first got it and shot it while I had a slight wrist injury and shooting single-handed.

I'm in the process of getting another XDm9 3.8 Compact to serve as my class/range "concealed-carry" gun, so that I can stop putting undue wear on my carry. With that many rounds on her, I trust her, implicitly, with my life and the lives of my loved ones. Part of the reason why I haven't done any preventative-maintenance in my full-sized XDm9 is because I want to see just how long the gun will keep cranking for, before something finally breaks mechanically: she's led a hard life!
    JD likes this.

Didn't you guys read another post on the XD. They are trash. Send them all to me and I will take care of them.
    Semper Fi
    wingnutt56 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Didn't you guys read another post on the XD. They are trash. Send them all to me and I will take care of them.
    Semper Fi
    Dare I say, that it might be my thread you're referencing that I posted with trouble on my XD. That said, everyone of you that posted on that thread and this one have written that SA is stellar. Because of all these votes of confidence on the XD, I am going to stick with it (also have a SA 1911). (You're all the ones with the experience which is why I asked for advice!)

So, no,no, no you can't have mine, BkCo1, and I won't send it to you (even though I think Marines are the salt of the earth and deserve anything they want)!

Thanks OP for revisting your XD40 and telling us about it!! Very comprehensive!
    Carpe Diem for Winter Is Coming

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Don't feel bad or disheartened, DAO.Diva. A gun is a mechanical object - and as-such, regardless of how it's run or how you take care of it, it can and will, at some point, fail.

Just because the vast majority has not and will not have a problem doesn't mean that the same will hold-true for you or anyone else that you may or may not know.

It's just the nature of the beast.

I've been very lucky with my two, so-far, but I don't know if that'll be the same for my next, my third. That's part of the reason why I'm going to keep using the 3.8 Compact that I currently have had 6K-7K rounds on as my primary carry (after replacing its recoil spring as a precaution, and getting the trigger worked on a bit, too, to bring it more in-line with my full-time range/class gun) - I know from having used it so much on the range in solo-practice as well as in various training classes that I can trust it, with my life, in as much as I can trust any other mechanical item that I've come to depend upon (i.e. my car, my home's smoke-detector, etc.).

I don't have much experience, yet - but I've been striving (and continue to) try to cram as much as I can into my schedule, because I know that this is something that my as well as, more importantly, my loved-ones' lives may depend on. So I don't have the logged time, yet, that some may have in this hobby: but I do have the round-count - well, at least on my carry and HD guns.

I used to have the XD40sc. Did not like the recoil myself. I no longer have "any" .40S&W's. To me the .40 is just too snappy of a round. I now have an XD9sc which I like much better, however I don't ever shoot it. Been shooting and carrying my Glock 26 or 19 more than the XD.

Glad you like your XD40sc. Sounds like you've had good service with it, and Springfield Armory's customer service seems to be top notch. Glad to hear that.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I used to have the XD40sc. Did not like the recoil myself. I no longer have "any" .40S&W's. To me the .40 is just too snappy of a round. I now have an XD9sc which I like much better, however I don't ever shoot it. Been shooting and carrying my Glock 26 or 19 more than the XD.

Glad you like your XD40sc. Sounds like you've had good service with it, and Springfield Armory's customer service seems to be top notch. Glad to hear that.
    i agree with your post. i shot a friends xd40sc. good luck with double or triple tap on target. xd9sc = perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links