Found one.... Got one...... Wife's gonna kill me... : )~

This is a discussion on Found one.... Got one...... Wife's gonna kill me... : )~ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tell you, I am with the group who held out forever in getting a khar. Now I have been wondering why in the heck ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Found one.... Got one...... Wife's gonna kill me... : )~

VIP Member
    I tell you, I am with the group who held out forever in getting a khar. Now I have been wondering why in the heck I waited! Enjoy bud!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I tell you, I am with the group who held out forever in getting a khar. Now I have been wondering why in the heck I waited! Enjoy bud!
    Thanks CHG... Now I just need to work out when it gets carry time between the M&P and the Kimber, and that's gonna be a tough one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hey, Im not completely set in my ways!
    Next thing I know, you'll be converting to Moonie-ism!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Gman, 10thmtn, I'm thinking you guys would like this thing.
    While I'm sure it is a nice pistol, if I wanted to go larger than my PM9, I'm going to go for my Glock 26.

The PM9 (or CM9) is the only Kahr that holds any interest for me, and only because it is still the smallest 9mm pistol out there that locks the slide open, has real sights (including night sights available), takes +P ammo with no qualifiers (like "only occasionally"), has a CT laser available for it, and does not have a silly mag safety or thumb safety. That's the only reason I put up with Kahr's "quirks," like the fact that my PM9 will not work with the 7-rd mag, they won't guarantee that it will load properly unless you use the slide release, etc.

Believe me - as soon as someone out there makes a 9mm pistol the size of a PM9 (or smaller) with those same features, and that is reliable and does not suffer from the "Kahr quirks"...my PM9 will be retired from my carry rotation. Maybe I'd keep it as a backup. Maybe.
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You're going to love it. I've never felt a better grip ever. Mine is the stainless with night sights. Mine is a NYPD model so it has the beveled mag well. I sent it to Kahr to get the better trigger and added a ported barrel. I like that you can drop in a ported barrel for fun but pop in the regular barrel for carry. The ported barrel looks good but it makes that muzzle just sit there when you're shoot'en!

Enjoy!
    Gideon

all the holsters and mags and accessories I have for the other Kahrs will work perfectly with my new K9
    Would you tell us (or show us) what you have in the way of accessories? And just to be clear, is there anything from the PM40 accessories that will do double-duty with your K9?

Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by matheath View Post
    Would you tell us (or show us) what you have in the way of accessories? And just to be clear, is there anything from the PM40 accessories that will do double-duty with your K9?

Nice find.
    Yeah I see where I alluded to that effect in my first post.. Sorry, to be clear, only a few holsters that I have and use for the PM40 work with my K9 and that's it, but all the mags and fit holsters I have for my CW9 work perfectly. There's really nothing special about um, just a couple paddle holsters and mag carrier plus a Don Hume IWB that I have for my CW9..

Taking it to the range this morning and while I'm out I'll be looking for my new favorite holster setup "Serpa". I have one for all my favorite carry guns and this one is absolutely on that list...

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    While I'm sure it is a nice pistol, if I wanted to go larger than my PM9, I'm going to go for my Glock 26.

The PM9 (or CM9) is the only Kahr that holds any interest for me, and only because it is still the smallest 9mm pistol out there that locks the slide open, has real sights (including night sights available), takes +P ammo with no qualifiers (like "only occasionally"), has a CT laser available for it, and does not have a silly mag safety or thumb safety. That's the only reason I put up with Kahr's "quirks," like the fact that my PM9 will not work with the 7-rd mag, they won't guarantee that it will load properly unless you use the slide release, etc.

Believe me - as soon as someone out there makes a 9mm pistol the size of a PM9 (or smaller) with those same features, and that is reliable and does not suffer from the "Kahr quirks"...my PM9 will be retired from my carry rotation. Maybe I'd keep it as a backup. Maybe.

Yeah, I guess I was wrong with that statement, apparently I let my enthusiasm for this thing get the best of me..

I'm gonna go see if this one has any of the "quirks". However for the record, my PM40 had NO issues at all from the very first round. My CW9 did have the "first round nose dive" a couple of times, but seemed to fade away and settle down. I haven't had it out in a while, but now I think I'll let it accompany my new K9 to the range this am and run some rounds through it. The mags are interchangeable so it should be a seamless transition between the two.

Good luck! Hope it works flawlessly for you.
    CT Lasers

Thanks buddy, appreciate it..

Well, took it to the range this am and ran three hundred rounds through it with no problems what so ever.... Does it handle and shoot better than the polymer models, yes, big-time. I guess that's mainly due to the steel verses polymer frame, but the action just seems smoother to me comparatively to my CW9. It might be because the polymer version has the two small rails up front and the all steel version does not, either or, the K9 just feels like a pleasure to shoot compared to my snappy CW9. Both are just accurate as hell and bottom line they are more accurate than I will ever need to worry about.

I will say the additional weight of the K9 over the CW9 really tames the 9mm round and I would compare it to the soft shooting M&P9c. Both are great with felt recoil, but the M&P still wins the day IMO. As for accuracy the Kahr rules, at least for me. I can keep it in about a two inch group, or even smaller if I try to stage the shots all day long. Rapid fire opens up to about four or five, but double taps are way beyond acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I put three hundred rounds of 115gr range stuff through it and a hundred through the CW9. Both guns performed perfectly and I had no issues with either one. I forgot that I had converted my CW9 into a covert model a couple years back so the grip just doesn't compare at all between the two, but regardless, the grip on the K9 is far better IMO. Didn't try to do any drills i.e. TRBs and what not, being and indoor range and it was pretty busy, plus I was just mainly doing break-in and function testing for carry, maybe next time. Overall I'd say my new K9 has moved to the head of the pack in the semi-auto lineup; well temporarily anyway. I say that because on my way home from the range I decided to stop off by the GS next to my house. While looking for a Serpa holster I spotted the Kahr case and decided to check it out. As I got closer I noticed something in the case that caught my eye and low and behold there was a used Kahr E9 for $549. It was all tricked out, NightSights, bright polished slide, trigger, barrel and even the mags. I asked to check it out and before I handed it back to the guy I said I want to put this on layaway.

So, This has been an awesome week indeed.... I not only found one pistol that's been on my list for what seems like forever, but ended up finding another gem. What's even better about the E9 is, it comes with a custom OWB holster and matching mag holder, as well as three polished mags too boot.. In about three weeks I'll be picking it up, as I didn't want to press my luck with the wife.. I called her and told her what I was doing and all she said was "is this going to the last one for this year?" I said yes with the exception of a hunting rifle I plane to pickup around Christmas.. She said "whatever" Done!

Anyway, thanks for the interest with my purchase and if anyone wanted my opinion regarding the Poly verses the steel Kahrs.... If the weight isn't a problem, I'd say go steel all day long, and twice on Sunday. Either way, IMO these are great little carry guns. To my fellow revolver guys, I'll be keeping my ankle strapped with one of my J frames and that'll never change, and variety is the spice of life, and IMO there's nothing wrong with indulging one's self every now and again..

You might be right about the steel Kahrs. I recently got some 147 gr Speer Gold Dot JHPs for duty use, for better barrier penetration, especially against windshield glass. Went to the range myself today, and first decided to try this ammo in my PM9. Out of the 50 round box - two nose down jams. A simple tap-rack fixed it, but...

Then ran a box through each of my Glocks. No surprise - both ran flawlessly. It has been an embarrassingly long time since I shot my G19, and today reminded me what an awesome pistol it is. By far, easer to shoot than the PM9, and even better than the G26. I was ripping rounds off so quickly and accurately, that this range session also cured me of the idea of getting a .45 G36.

So...when I got home, I de-commissioned my PM9, dug out my Smartcarry, and am now going to go back to my G19. Interestingly, the larger G19 is more comfortable to carry in my Smartcarry than my smaller G26. Maybe because the grip is longer, forcing it further to the left, where there is more room down my left pant leg? Maybe the heavier weight makes it sit lower? Maybe the angle it sits in the holster pocket, due to the slide length? Don't know, but whatever it is, I'm going back to the future, as long as I don't start getting the pain in my bend point that caused me to abandon the Smartcarry in the first place.

As far as Kahr goes, I'm glad yours is working for you, but I just don't seem to have any luck with them. I'm of the opinion that a gun should feed any SAAMI-spec ammo. I'm getting too old to put up with finicky nonsense.

Don't mean to derail your thread - just had to vent!

CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You have only 1 way out of this with the wife, consider it your Xmas present, and tell her.... "but wait until you see what I'm getting YOU for Christmas", and then you better make it really good.

^^^^^ Or you could tell her^^^^^^^^^^^

"Well dear, by the time I got to the Cadillac dealership, they had sold the last
    {fill in the blank}__________, and I just knew you wouldn't have been happy with any other model, and you being the good sport you are, I figured you'd be just as happy with these pretty dish towels!!

P.S. Gottabkiddin,

Before you tell her, make sure you put me down as the legal recipient of ALL your firearms in your lat will and testament.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

LOL, will do buddy!

She got her sofa and her new kitten, so everything is good on the home front.
    She wanted a Maine Coon kitten, a pretty high priced little guy, so we're pretty even for the most part....

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You might be right about the steel Kahrs. I recently got some 147 gr Speer Gold Dot JHPs for duty use, for better barrier penetration, especially against windshield glass. Went to the range myself today, and first decided to try this ammo in my PM9. Out of the 50 round box - two nose down jams. A simple tap-rack fixed it, but...

Then ran a box through each of my Glocks. No surprise - both ran flawlessly. It has been an embarrassingly long time since I shot my G19, and today reminded me what an awesome pistol it is. By far, easer to shoot than the PM9, and even better than the G26. I was ripping rounds off so quickly and accurately, that this range session also cured me of the idea of getting a .45 G36.

So...when I got home, I de-commissioned my PM9, dug out my Smartcarry, and am now going to go back to my G19. Interestingly, the larger G19 is more comfortable to carry in my Smartcarry than my smaller G26. Maybe because the grip is longer, forcing it further to the left, where there is more room down my left pant leg? Maybe the heavier weight makes it sit lower? Maybe the angle it sits in the holster pocket, due to the slide length? Don't know, but whatever it is, I'm going back to the future, as long as I don't start getting the pain in my bend point that caused me to abandon the Smartcarry in the first place.

As far as Kahr goes, I'm glad yours is working for you, but I just don't seem to have any luck with them. I'm of the opinion that a gun should feed any SAAMI-spec ammo. I'm getting too old to put up with finicky nonsense.

Don't mean to derail your thread - just had to vent!

Glad you got to the range and today as well... Yeah, that heavy load in such a light pistol might not function as intended... I've read some information that kinda said something to that effect. +1 on the smartcarry, I used mine today while out and about with the wife and it made the additional weight of the K9 virtually nonexistent; love that holster for deep cover.

No worries on the derail, you and the others are always welcome AFAIC...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links