whats the diff between the g29 and g29sf?

This is a discussion on whats the diff between the g29 and g29sf? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it just the grip size? I have a g27 and I have to be very careful NOT to let the slide tear off part ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogboy13
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: whats the diff between the g29 and g29sf?

Is it just the grip size? I have a g27 and I have to be very careful NOT to let the slide tear off part of the web between my thumb and forefinger.I have fairly small hands but they're pretty thick. THe 10mm really interests me. I'd dump my .40 for the 10(29sf) if it "fit" my hand better. I'm fairly new to everyday ccw, and am getting pretty used to my 4" Kimber .45 CDP IWB in a Occidental Leather Stronghold Phoenix holster. I live in southeast corner of Wa and the closest place to try one out would be Spokane-Cour de Lane area (2+ hrs drive)

To you here that have shot one, is the recoil much worse than say a g27( fairly snappy)?

The only difference I know of is the front to back thickness of the grip I have a Glock 29 and a 27. The recoil in the 29 is very manageable and I feel the 27 is a bit mor snappy than the 29 but YMMV. I would not give up the 27 for a 29 or 29 sf nor would I give up my 29 for the 27. If the availability of 10mm ammo was better here I would carry it.
    carverelli likes this.

I reload so ammo cost isnt much of a concern. So when they say the grip is smaller, its not so much thinner width wise. They're talking front to back like in the web of my thumb to the middle of my fingers.

I'd really like to own 10-15 handguns but I really cant justify it. 3-4 I can. I'll never sell my kimber. It fits me like a glove, and damn what a beautiful piece of hardware. But I do get out in the woods from time to time and I'd like some more power(Tim Allen grunt). I'd also like a pocket gun for summer weather or for when I dont feel like dressing around my piece. So 3 pistolas isnt out of the realm of practicality and feasibility. I can justify 3

And it just unamerican NOT to have a .45 1911

btw whats YMMV?

YMMV=your mileage may vary
    The 29 is no pocket pistol it is about the same size as a Glock 19-23 if your looking for a pocket pistol the 29 is not going to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy13 View Post
    YMMV=your mileage may vary
    The 29 is no pocket pistol it is about the same size as a Glock 19-23 if your looking for a pocket pistol the 29 is not going to be it.
    I realize the 29 isnt that small. It minimally larger than the 27. I bought it thinking it may be my pocket pistol, but its too big. My point being the 29 has more power for roughly the same size, and I can get a true pocket pistol later. The solo is tempting if i can wait long enough for it to become more available. The single stack Kahr pm9 is another option. I like to stay with the 9mm as a minimum as it may be my primary at times.

Glock 30SF vs Glock 19. G30SF and G29SF are the same gun with a different caliber.

Glock 26 vs G19 (G26 same size as G27)

Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The SF has a smaller grip circumference. The difference between the SF and standard is a smaller backstrap. That is it. Recoil is not bad at all. I owned a 27 and like the 29SF much better.

20ue907.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The SF has a smaller grip circumference. The difference between the SF and standard is a smaller backstrap. That is it. Recoil is not bad at all. I owned a 27 and like the 29SF much better.

20ue907.jpg
    thanks chevy. Those pics are great. You say you like the 29sf over the 27. So what do you like more about the 29sf specifically? The way it fits your hand, more power, different recoil?
    I don't have the funds to buy another pistol ATM, so Id prolly sell my 27 to fund the 29sf, and I don't want to regret it. Im supposed to close on a house next week,and I'm unemployed right now. It may be several months before I'm working again, and my savings has to last.

Thanks again for the pics

BTW, I'll have to get the ext grip for this bad boy.

I like the fact that I can carry 15 or 20 rd backup mags. I like the fact that it is a big powerful cartridge that I can use for SD and hunting. I like the way it fits in my hand and carries. The recoil is nothing....

here is the G29 at work:

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a G20sf and a 29sf. They are easy enough to control, ammo cost has been the negating factor so far.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    About a month ago while shooting at my local range the range employee came to ask me what I was shooting. He asked me to let him shoot a couple of rounds, I did of course, and of course he loved my G29SF. About 2 weeks ago I while back at he range he told me he was trading his G27 for the G29SF. He was surprised how manageable the recoil was. ..much easier to shoot than the .40.
    Attached Images

Links